Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Alternatives to M&S Insurance
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

Currently we’ve got contents cover with M&S and been perfectly happy with that. We’re in the process of buying a house though so will be needing buildings cover as well which we can’t get through M&S.

I know often it can be cheaper to insure buildings and contents through the same provider so does anyone have any recommendations, don’t want to have to declare number of bikes or value individually.

convert

Why can’t you get M&S building cover – something about the building/location? If not I’d go separate – not aware of anything that gets close to M&S for a high value multi bike household without significant cost – more that splitting building and contents.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The wording of the question about subsidence on the M&S policy means I have to say yes 🙂

AXA, who I believe underwrite M&S only ask about the last 10 years.

To insure separately it looks like it’ll cost an extra 50 quid a year. Just thought I’d explore other options of joint cover if there were any.

Gravy
    Free Member

You just have to declare that your property is in an area affected by the dreaded subsidence, you also have to pay a heavier premium. I have both policies and they are no trouble (they also have excellent benefits if our place goes into the sea).

ebygomm
    Free Member

Coal authority search says

“No notice of the risk of the land being affected by subsidence has been given under section 46 of the Coal Mining Subsidence Act 1991”

However there was a claim against the Coal Authority decades ago which was resolved by payment of compensation (no remedial works carried out)

M&S say they won’t cover because of this.

No point paying a heavier premium because then I might as well insure separately

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to M&S Insurance’ is closed to new replies.