Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Alternative living?
  • ton

anyone on here live in a alternative type dwelling?

canal boat
    river boat
    caravan
    campervan
    tent
    commune
    kibutz
    anything i have missed?

pastcaring
    Free Member

i live in a log cabin

noteeth
    Free Member

I live in a library.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

I sometimes feel like Iive in a bikeshop

wors

I’ve been thinking about this today after the missus said “i’m bored of this same old monday to friday”. Cheepest way of having a comfortable home.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Other half sister lived in a canal boat for a few years. No permanent mooring so it meant moving regular during the summer. After one year it required some welding to the hull. £3k I think with crane fees. I think it was picked up on some annual test they have to have.

LoCo
    Free Member

Mates just bought 100 acres in Scotland and building a lodge, with hydro, solar and wind power and water from spring and a reed bed waste system.
    He’s proper crusty!

kaiser
    Free Member

just got thisbook out of the library ..might give you some ideas

LoCo
    Free Member

Yeah that’s a good book and ranging from super crusty eco warrior to slightly more ‘norm’ off gridders.

Junkyard
    Free Member

canal boat – yes about 6 years fun if you have no kids but TON you will never store your bikes or have enough space for food
    river boat – rivers move boat rocks more wider more moorings
    caravan – for a summer ok it never moved nice weather fine wet not much fun
    campervan- yes for a year fine but very small you need to own virtually nothing
    tent- about 6 mths you need nice weather
    commune – yes we did lots of drugs think I ejoyed it
    kibutz – I will not go to Israel

YURT – well haven’t we all? It is effing cold in the winter whatever you do re burner but they are cool if you are a hippy .

E-mail if you want serious advice

Bregante

“noteeth – Member
    I live in a library.
    POSTED 21 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST”

Shhhhhssshhhhhh!

orena45

I live in a glorified shed…

…and Ms orena45’s dad lives in a caravan at the other side of our field…and we have a neighbour who lives in a geodesic dome

Is that alternative enough?
    (Edit: ok not as alternative as Junkyard!)

😀

taka
    Free Member

i haven’t but within 100yrds from my dads there canal boat’s a guy called Patrick who lived in a tent for 6 months and now has build himself a shed to live in but that’s just hebden bridge int it 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I might end up living in our Caravan whilst we get our extension and what not on the house. /tenuous

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

We have a tipi and spend time in it in the summer but it’s not a realistic proposition for winter living in this climate.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Live in a house now …for nearly a month now but would prefer yours

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ton – there are some pretty excellent “earth” houses in Wales that are struggling to get approval from the government, and also I know of one person who makes houses from car tyres, but these too are deemed illegal which is a shame as they have been designed to be very eco-friendly.

I would say my lifestyle is quite alternative right now, but not my dwelling.

Oreana45 – that looks great!

orena45

Cheers Simon! Was a pretty stressful build in the end due to the Exeter-based company we ordered with going bust half-way through the job – just when Ms orena45 was about to give birth to our first! We ended up having to deal direct with the factory in Romania to get it completed which ended up being nearly a year after it was originally supposed to have been finished.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

first place i ever lived was a canal barge in rickmansworth, from birth and for a couple of months i think.

aP
    Free Member

I don’t believe that earth shelters are illegal iirc there’s been several built near Brighton.
    How ’bout a straw bale house – I know several people who’ve built them.

LoCo
    Free Member

The tyre builds I always though a bit strange, tyres are toxic right? as they breakdown, would they no leech chemicals into not only the environment and you home, defeating the point of the build somewhat?!
    Feel free to correct me on this, a genuine question.

I dream of a green oak framed straw bale mansion 😀 one day

Bunnyhop

Torminalis used to live in a tent, I recall him having a decent blog about the experience.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Alternative living?’ is closed to new replies.