• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alt j …Any good ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Heard one if their songs(hunger of the pine?) yesterday and quite liked it.

Is the rest of their stuff worth a listen if so what’s best ?

DezB
    Free Member

I did the same – heard a track, investigated. Didn’t retain my interest though, can’t pinpoint why.

ononeorange

I really like them. An awesome wave is very refreshing, all sorts of different stuff. His voice is a bit whiny/nasal and grates at first, but now used to it and am really happy when one of their songs comes round on shuffle.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sssshhhh no one reply and Renton will be left eternally unsure whether to actually listen to a few more tracks and make his own mind up 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Well that’s helpful isn’t it. I was that one day I could have your banter skills 🙄

renton
    Free Member

Said no one …. ever.

Euro
    Free Member

I was half expecting you to be selling an Alt J CD.

isto
    Free Member

Their first album is brilliant but I haven’t been able to get into their second in the same way. The guitarist decided to quit after the first stating the lifestyle wasn’t for him so this may have had a difference in how the second was written.

This is them doing an amazing live rendition of my favorite song of the first album:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2bqT0ZTz7E[/video]

tayls
    Free Member

The Alt-j remix of moby a case for shame is well worth a listen.

dingabell
    Free Member

Alt J are bleeding excellent.
    Buy both albums immediately or I’ll come round and give you a good slap……..and don’t say I didn’t warn you

CountZero

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Sssshhhh no one reply and Renton will be left eternally unsure whether to actually listen to a few more tracks and make his own mind up
    renton – Member
    Well that’s helpful isn’t it. I was that one day I could have your banter skills

Well, it’s what I always do, and have done for the last fifty or so years, although I do read album reviews in Uncut magazine, (previously The Word, Q, HiFi News and Record Reviews and NME), to get some sort of idea, but I trust my ears much more than I trust some random human to make my mind up for me. It’s what BBC 6Music is for, being my go-to source of new music for the last thirteen years, and costing me a considerable amount of money in music and gig tickets in that time.
    FWIW, while I don’t mind the occasional Alt-J track on 6Records, I couldn’t listen to an album, the singer’s voice gets on my nerves, although not as much as Everything Everything…
    But that’s my opinion, listen and make your own mind up.

galactus
    Free Member

I really liked their first album, the songs Breezeblocks, Maltilda, Something good and Tessalate stand out for me.

Merak

Buy an album, make your own mind up.

codybrennan
    Free Member

1st album v good; 2nd album, not so much, IMHO.

DezB
    Free Member

if so what’s best ?

I think, was the point of the post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alt j …Any good ?’ is closed to new replies.