Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Alps holiday insurance
  • smogmonster

Besides Dogtag, who else have people used for their Alps mtbing hols?

uplink
    Free Member

snowcard?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Virgin European last time.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Boots.

trail_rat
    Free Member

looking at the same just now and

Mountain biking (not including downhill racing and extreme ground conditions) standard

Mountain biking (including downhill racing and extreme ground conditions) inform us

– WTF is extreme ground conditions ….. fort william ? or is glentress extreme conditions …… should be reworded i suspect to “road cycling” (which also prohibited on this policy no ifs no buts)or MTB as i suspect anything other than bridleway is extreme

Ill phone them anyway – fwiw its a back country/XC week with trail addiction

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Snowcard are definitely worth going with. When a mate spangled himself on the Swiss DH course a few years ago they were really helpful, both with advice and with sorting things out, payments, etc.

Of the above two options (in Trail Rat’s post), I would go for the latter. Extreme ground conditions probably refers to riding DH tracks and the more bonkers singletrack – better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion.

trail_rat
    Free Member

likewise …. but im just amaized that they differentiate……trying to remember who we insured with for our tour of nz – cycle touring was harder than mtbing to get a decent quote for !

luke.ellis
    Free Member

Try Dogtag

alfabus
    Free Member

Snowcard were brilliant for me when I decided my pelvis would look better in 3 pieces in les gets.

They did all the usual stuff, plus put me in touch with an English speaking doctor and nurse on the phone to help me with any medical questions I couldn’t understand the answers from my French doctor.

Dave

Haribo
    Free Member

ditto dogtag and you also get a free…..dogtag which is cooler than the normal insurance policy doc. also comes with a useful travel doc holder.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

A bit repetitive but I would recommend getting Snowcard.

But have you looked into their annual multi-trip cover. I have it and paid £120 (ish – can’t remember exactly, but did it as cover for myself and my girlfriend, so it works out a wee bit cheaper than paying separately).

You nominate your main activity (for me DH mountain biking) and you are then covered for in the UK as well. I fell of at Glentress one evening… free physio…

NikNak7890
    Free Member

The BMC for me, I’ve had to claim 3 times so far, and they’ve paid out each time without quibbling.

coogan
    Free Member

Snowcard.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dog tag isnt that expensive actually ….

question – i have top level M&S contents cover – cover my bikes in transit ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have used snowcard the last couple of years.

I confirmed (email) with them which level of cover i needed as there was a thread on here about it.

My opinion is that XC is level 2 DH is level 3. they would have a hard time arguing that you were riding DH if you were doing anything other than a DH track / on a DH bike.

I described my holiday & bike and they confirmed appropriate cover level.

uplink
    Free Member

cover my bikes in transit ?

Should do if you have away from home cover

trail_rat
    Free Member

never assume with insurance co`s mind ……

probably give them a call and confirm – although i know a few decents locally that could give similar damage to a bagage handler 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve always used snowcard

jhw
    Free Member

Snowcard told me in August last year that any chairlift assisted riding counted as downhill.

alfabus
    Free Member

any chairlift assisted riding counted as downhill.

what an utterly impossible thing to quantify… how long before a crash would you have had to use a chairlift.

what if you went up a lift, then rode down to below the bottom station, then crashed.

what if you got a chairlift up, then rode further up and then rode down – would you only count as downhilling when you passed the lift station?

Dave

fleab
    Free Member

Dogtag have big excesses on their sports activities.

trail_rat
    Free Member

when you look at it though – means youll only claim if choppered off the hill …. 350 is a drop in ocean compared to 10k +

if you have an EHIC or is it E411?? then you get treatment free anyhoo …

sok

M&S although Not had to use it so untested.

You’re covered for mtb-ing but not for racing.
    It’s cost me £40 for the year (for a couple) so much cheaper than Snowcard.

jhw
    Free Member

what an utterly impossible thing to quantify

I see your point, but my approach was, “if I get a single chairlift on this trip, it’s viewed by them as a DH trip, so get the DH coverage”. It’s easy to get tied into knots about the precise meaning of this type of contractual term but in practice it’s quite straightforward. You don’t want the insurers to have any leeway whatsoever when it comes to your claim. Not for the sake of saving abt £4!

The logic of the term is probably that if you’re getting chairlifts, you’re doing 10 descents a day, whereas if you’re climbing the hills yourself, you’re probably only doing 1 Alpine descent a day. So it’s fair enough that getting chairlifts ups the premium.

alfabus
    Free Member

Good point on not giving them any means to wriggle out of it.

I can’t remember what snowcard level I had, I suspect it was 3 to cover off piste snowboarding and alpine mountaineering, as well as biking (I have annual cover with my wife). They didn’t ask me anything about how I had got injured, just what I needed them to do to help sort me out.

Dave

MarkN
    Free Member

Snow card told me the same last year, chairlift means DH and not ordinary XC. So I paid about £50 quid for a weeks cover. Had I needed it at least I knew it would be sorted and not finding out that I was not covered when I was busted up.

stevomcd
    Free Member

if you have an EHIC or is it E411?? then you get treatment free anyhoo …

No you don’t, this is an oft-repeated error.

If you have an EHIC, you get the same amount of “free” treatment as a citizen of the country you’re visiting.

If that country has no free health-care and requires their citizens to have insurance, then you get sweet FA.

If that country only partially covers the cost of treatment and requires their citizens to have “top-up” insurance then you will only get the partial costs. This is the case in France, where the state typically covers 70% of medical costs. 30% of the cost of, say, on operation on a broken leg can be a lot of cash.

alfabus
    Free Member

Stevomcd +1

I was charged €50 top up after a couple of days in hospital (no operations)

One of first things they asked when I arrived in hospital was for ID and EHIC. Given that I had come straight from the hill on a stretcher/ambulance, I was glad I had them! I now ALWAYS carry these with me when abroad in EU.

Dave

blurltrider
    Free Member

Snowcard were brilliant when a friend broke bones biking. Well worth every bit of the premium. We’ve got annual cover as well.

jhw
    Free Member

If you have insurance does that mean you don’t need to show EHIC card and ID at the hospital; just the insurance card?

alfabus
    Free Member

you still need to show EHIC card, they aren’t interested in your insurance. You show EHIC card to qualify for equivalent care, then you need to pay any charges on top of that – your insurance will reimburse you.

If you don’t have EHIC, you need to have a credit card to cover ALL costs.

Dave

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Alps holiday insurance’ is closed to new replies.