Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Alpkit Down Jackets
  • barca
    Free Member

Anybody on here own either the down gilet or coat from Alpkit? Happy to recommend or wish you hadn't bothered? I'd particularly like to know if they pack down small.
    I'm just hovering over the order button for a Rab coat but these are £130:00 cheaper which obviously can't be ignored but I'd really rather not fall into the "buy cheap, buy twice" trap again if I can help it.
    Thank you.

PaulMc
    Free Member

Mrs PaulMc has the jacket and absolutely loves it. Think she prefers it to her old Rab. The finishing touches eg cuff trim are not quite as nice/expensive as my Mountain Equipment jacket but functionally I don't think there is any real difference. Know which one I would choose if I was buying now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you dont want to fall into that trap id stick with rab , never been wholey impressed with alpkit – but ive put up with it due to the price or they have been quick to refund when i point out issues.

Good company but rab is streets ahead on finishing and ultimately on quality

but this does depend on what your wanting from the jacket – primerily for a jacket to be worn at 24 hour events when minging and dirty to keep warm between laps id wear an alpkit as it will get trashed – for going anywhere cold and just wanting a warm jacket id buy a rab

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alexonabike

Many friends have the Alpkit jacket and really rave about them. A few have had them since launch and still gong strong.

Rab stuff has really gone downhill in quality over the last 2 years, I'm sorry to say after being a loyal follower of Mr. Carrington. So don't assume you are buying the best with Rab. At the moment other brands, often cheaper, are producing better products. Check out PHD, the guy behind it was the founder of Mountain Equipment. Very good gear.

khegs
    Free Member

I've got one, it is pretty decent, plenty warm enough for UK conditions, and comfortable and pretty well made. On the other hand it isn't as well finished as something like a Rab, but it's functional, and it is better finished than my old sprayway duvet jacket though. It Packs down pretty small, as well.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

been happy with mine for the past 3 and a bit years. the down has migrated a bit, esp in the lower arms, but its still all good. i use mine at races etc – just like trail rat described (as i'm not into mountaineering etc any more)

for the money i'm happy with it, although i'm now in the market for a primaloft jacket, as they're a bit smaller and more user friendly, imo.

Marko

Another vote for PHD!

Made in Yorkshire. What more could you want?

Hth
    Marko

CHB

I bought Mrs HB a RAB jacket earlier this year. Was disappointed to find they are now made in China. Thought I was buying local!
    Alpkit for me next.

Drac

Do Alpkit have them in stock yet?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Rab pfffft!! I bought a rab softshell only for it to rip in the armpit after about 3 wears. Mountain Eqpt stuff is the bomb da shizy nizzy! But I have heard nothing but good stuff about Alpkit.

AlasdairMc

Whereas I've had no issues whatsoever with my Rab softshell, it's my summer casual jacket and then becomes my winter riding jacket when the temperature drops.

Personally I'd try Blacks, TK Maxx or another discount outlet before committing either to Rab or Alpkit

Crell
    Free Member

Although it's synthetic rather than down, have a look at the Haglofs barrier. I've been really impressed with mine, both as an outer shell and a mid layer. It packs down incredibly small as well.

BadlyWiredDog

Depends what you want it for really. Fact, most down jackets are bought to be worn down the pub in winter, very few get real world technical use. Particularly in the UK. If you want something for active UK use where conditions tend to be damp and cold, then a synthetic fill like Primaloft makes more sense than down – something like a Rab Generator for example. Great things to carry in winter to throw on over other kit for stops.

As far as the Alpkit down jacket goes, it's good at the price. A box-wall Rab or ME jacket will be warmer – the Alpkit is stitch-through construction – and a bit slicker and better finished, but also more expensive.

BadlyWiredDog

What I'm saying, by the way, is that as a ride jacket, synthetic is a much better option. You're a mate of NBT's right? If you find yourself in the Peak and want a look at an Alpkit Filo in the flesh, just shout, I'm based on the Manchester edge of the Peak.

trail_rat
    Free Member

people ride in insulated jackets ? are you folk doing the iditarod ? mental !

Drac

I'd think I'd die of heat exhaustion on the first climb in a down jacket.

BadlyWiredDog

The only time I've worn a down jacket for active use was climbing an Andean SW Face, similar to north face routes in the northern hemisphere. It was at night at temperature was around -20?C – my climbing partner ended up with frost bite. I cannot even begin to conceive of wearing down on a bike… 😐

BadlyWiredDog

Oh and when I said a 'ride jacket', I meant a jacket to carry in your pack during winter rides and stick on over the top of your other kit if you have to stop. A bit like a climbing belay jacket system. Works really well for those unwelcome, sub-zero puncture stops.

barca
    Free Member

Thanks for the opinions everyone (and the offer Jon – much appreciated. It's me, the pedal forgetor 🙂 ).
    No mountaineering involved. It's wanted for dog walking, sitting in the stands at Man. City, walking in the Peaks and Lakes. that kind of thing.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

+1 for Alpkit. I've got the gilet and think its great. And Alpkits customer service is second to none.

Spud

We have a mix of Rab and Alpkit, the wife's Alpkit vest is a great bit of kit. Not up there with the Rab stuff we have but then ours is all Sheffield made, the last jacket we bought just before they were either bought out or sold a wedge off.

BadlyWiredDog

Ah, okay. No probs. For what you're talking about, unless you're only going to go out in cold, dry conditions, either a fleece and a waterproof jacket or something with a Primaloft fill, Rab and Mountain Equipment and, erm, Berghaus and Haglofs all do Primaloft or similar stuff.

If down gets wet, the surface tension of the water overcomes the ability of the down to loft and trap air so it collapses into a sort of wet porridge – I know this to be true thanks to a near death experience in the Andes. It's also a pig to clean.

Down is lighter and warmer than synthetics and packs smaller, but it's a lot less versatile, Primaloft and similar still work reasonably well when damp. Have a look at the Rab Belay Jacket and similar I reckon.

Rab's down stuff outsells their Primaloft by a way, but for UK use, the synthetic is a lot more practical. Not as sexy though…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Alpkit have a synthetic jacket in the colab part of their website, only 60 quid.

antigee

down for sunny days stood in school playground waiting for kids

synthetic for wet winter days – doesn't pack as small but works a million times better as bwd said

rab v alpkit – got some of both and both are good relative to others – interesting comments on ME stuff as used to think good but had a pertex top and a cagoule both of which the zips failed on far to soon but that was a while ago

Crell
    Free Member

but for UK use, the synthetic is a lot more practical. Not as sexy though…

That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

STATO
    Free Member

Alpkit have a synthetic jacket in the colab part of their website, only 60 quid.

I picked up one of these. Only £45 if you sign up to colab. It's ace as a jacket to keep in your pack to throw on when your stopped, only used it when walking in the lakes last weekend but very pleased with it.

hora
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection batman!

On the down migration – surely putting the jacket briefly in a Laundrette ( very large) tumble dryer will avoid this?

On synthetics though- who else sells decent synthetic 'down' jackets?

pedalhead
    Free Member

I've got a Patagonia Micro Puff vest, which is an ultralight synthetic, packs down very small. Not the warmest as it's so light, but good for an extra layer when bikepacking or "just in case". They also do versions with arms and/or a hood.

tonyg2003

Sitting here (home office – a bit chilly) in my Alpkit gillet and jeans. The gillet is good but the jeans are great (waaaay cheaper than Howies too).

montylikesbeer

I've had one for over 12 months, its superb and great value

hora
    Free Member

Alpkit owners- how 'robust' is the shell? (i.e. to rough storage)

I have an old NorthFace down gillet that still hasn't holed. Its been used to protect the fork stanchions from wheels etc etc. Thats the sort of crap it'll get!

alfabus
    Free Member

As others have said, Rab have gone downhill in the last few years. It is largely since they were bought out by Outdoor Designs (who make lots of cheap stuff) and their production moved to China.

My down jacket is a Rab – made in Sheffield and it is lovely :o)

Dave

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Down Jackets’ is closed to new replies.