Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alpencross… pics.
  • alpin
    Free Member

just got back from a four day tour across the Alps. 380+km…don't know exactly how many as i accidently leant on the computer thingy and it wiped the distance and time.

rode from Tegernsee, Germany to Lake Garda, Italy. i had to ride it so that i know where i'm going next week. as i had a bit of a hurry on i didn't take that many pics and as such there are large sections missing.

i was lucky with the weather throughout…

leaving Tegernsee and entering the 'hills'

somewhere along the Schlucht heading towards Austria.

some Tirolen farmers hard at hit.

a little help from the train in Zillertal. the proper route runs paralell to the tracks so i didn't feel i was missing out.

the less touristy eatery above the Schlegeisspeicher dam.

some sheep and a waterfall on the way to Pfitscher Joch.

part of the rideable section of path. the path has been relaid recently, but not with bikers in mind. probably good fun riding down, but in places requires quite a bit of pushing/carrying over the stones when going up. oh, and that's my 'sweat buff' hanging off the bars…

looking back into the valley

almost there…

bit of snow. in fact, there was quite a lot of snow up there (2260m). i got lost on the other side and wandered across the tundra until i found a trail (although not the one i'm meant to ride- the one i'm meant to ride down is a jeep track, the one i rode down was a nice, technical single track which is considered too much for the guests).

Grais di, Süd Tirol….

the next morning looking into Pfitschertal.

from there it was onto Sterzing and the Jaufenpass.

the Jaufenpass is loved by motorbikers for its hairpin turns. as such, there is a constant roar of bike engines flying past. mix that in with all the cars and it makes for an unpleasent ride. i decided to take a trail that runs more-or-less along side the road. it was a bad idea. it would have been fun riding down, but there was almost no chance of riding up. a long 2 hour push followed. i sat down to take a rest and then sprung immediately back up when i saw this slithering under my leg….

the (second) highest point of the day.

as it was i had to take a path that led me back onto the road. i persevered and made it to the top.

and this is what i thought of the Jaufenpass…

and this is partly why….

….ok, so maybe that's a little unfair on the pass and very unfair on the bikers. i'm sure that if i had a motorbike i'd be ragging it up and down the pass, too. what i don't understand is why the tour leads us over this pass and not one of the less heavily used ones…

but the rocky trail that runs more-or-less paralell to the pylons made up for it. probably wouldn't want to ride it when it's wet as it consists of lots of rocks and open grass land, but in the dry it's brilliant.

one for the petrolheads.

it was a long roll-pedal-roll to Meran. the next morning I rode up and crossed Hofmahdjoch which involed a bit carrying and lots of pushing. it was a long, uneventful roll along fireroads to Mount Ozl, but it does provide you with a great view of the Brenta Alps.

on the (fireroad) descent my front brake began to sound a little metallic. i changed to pads over, but managed to lose the retaining pin and spring. after a bit of a panic i found a solution – all be it a short term one…

a big waterfall on the way from Dimaro to Madonna di Campiglio.

a bit more of the Brenta. there was luckily quite a bit of cloud on this day. i say luckily because i was soooo **** hot.

another waterfall. i was a bit dissappointed here as the hut was closed and i was hungry.

despite my hunger i and because i didn't want to ride back 200m up from where i came, i decided to push on to Bregn de l'Ors.

'push' is exactly the right word. there are signs telling you to get off your bike and push in order to help preserve the natural habitat. a shame as this trail would have be awesome fun if you were allowed to ride down it.

Passo del Grotto.

moody rocks.

the moody rocks were followed by a 1200m descent. firstly on a bit of singletrail, then fireroad and finally (although probably 60% of the descent) on paved road. my photo shooting hit a bit of a lull at this point as at each town i rode through there didn't seem to be a B&B open or one within my (stingy) price range.

i rode over the (mini) Passo Ballino and then took a right hand turn up to the samll town of Campi which marks the start of a roller-coaster trail all the way down to Lake Garda. i found myself a cheap room, stuffed myself full of pasta and spent the rest of the evening in a bar with a couple of Essex lads abusing their Welsh boss.

the next morning i was somewhat hung-over so spent most of the day by the lake reading my newspaper and dipping my toes into the freezing cold water with the thought that my legs could do with some soothing. as it was it was sooo cold that i ate ice cream instead.

my final view of the lake before crossing over into Etschtal to catch my train back to Munich.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Thought you didn't take many pictures 😉

13thfloormonk

Bloody hell, you must be getting pretty familiar with the Alps by now!

What are you carrying, do you have camping gear or are you heading for B&Bs/hostels?

I love these reports, even if I don't have the faintest idea where any of these places are, there's a pretty universal 'touring' feel to any story like this, you can get really addicted to new horizons round every corner…

RealMan
    Free Member

Jealousy to the max.

Sven

Very nice, I actually recognise quite some places from various alps crossings in the past, but from a time when cantilevers were standard and front suspension luxury… Best part were always the dinners once one had crossed into the Italian side of the alps.

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

Alpin, you are my new hero.
    Not only was that an epic ride, but to deal with all that ugly scenery is more than a man should have to deal with. 🙄
    You mentioned "the tour leads us" : which tour?

alpin
    Free Member

that's the idea, 13th-monk…..!
    hopefully next year i can put together my own tours. perhaps something that takes in a little more singletrack and a lot less tarmac.

thanks, PapaWheelie.
    the 'tour' is the tour that i will be leading paying guests along next week.

i've another tour that i and a friend/colleague need to ride in August, too. that one should be a little more challanging than the one above.

i will say though, that riding alone for 10 hours on end isn't the greatest experience. you've no-one to banter with or curse at or even blame. when you do meet or talk to someone it's usually to ask the way. in the end you're happy to have some old ittalian waving directions at you with his hands despite the fact you don't understand a single word…..

@ Sven, that must have been ages ago!!! 😉

rOcKeTdOg

i hope noone on dail up opened this thread

Sven

Which company will you be doing the guiding for? I went with a few companies in the mid-90s, mainly with bike alpin, they must be around your neck of the woods?! Sven

MrKmkII
    Free Member

fantastic. there aren't enough posts like this on STW. the main reason i occasionally look at mtbr is because of photo-posts like this…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alpencross… pics.’ is closed to new replies.