Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Alien/Aliens
  • CountZero

Yep, worst sequel ever.
    And that includes Jaws 2.

You don’t watch many films, do you? I suggest you try Highlander 2
    Unbelievably bad sequel that threw away virtually all continuity from the original film. Utter, utter rubbish, and two hours or so of my life I can never get back.

hels
    Free Member

Mental note: don’t ever watch a film that Bwaarp recommends.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Aliens is a cracking film but not as good as Alien for suspense however it’s up there with Predator as the best of the bunch from that era. However The Thing is better than them all IMHO.

Cougar

I suggest you try Highlander 2

You can add Escape From LA to that list too. I don’t think I’ve felt more crushed at a cinema (outside of Highlander 2).

aP
    Free Member

Oh, I think that “Harlem Nights” trumps Escape from LA as a shocking film, as does “Natural Born Killers” – both films that I ended up watching from a pub nearby.

rogg
    Free Member

imminently quotable

Was that deliberate? Good work…:)

Rorschach
    Free Member

“Get away from her….you bitch”
    Watching it now 😀

Janesy
    Free Member

Event Horizon is better.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not read all the replies but all 4 films in a box set on Bluray just on offer at Zavvi for £9.95

Got mine 🙂

Cougar

Oh, I think that “Harlem Nights” trumps Escape from LA as a shocking film, as does “Natural Born Killers” – both films that I ended up watching from a pub nearby.

Disappointing *sequel*, do keep up 007.

Was that deliberate? Good work…:)

Arse, no it wasn’t!

box set on Bluray just on offer at Zavvi for £9.95

I paid twice that and thought it was a steal. Actually, I paid twice that and still believe it was a steal. Given the quality of the transfer, at ten quid it’s worth buying if you like one of the four films a bit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah I only bought the set for the first two films.

mboy
    Free Member

Aliens builds brilliantly on the original, adding in the gung ho americanisms all over the place that was so typical of mid 80’s action films, but builds on the original concept brilliantly.

Alien was always destined to be a shocker. Proper Suspense horror sci-fi. It wasn’t meant to be a big budget blockbuster as such. For its time, it was incredible. Even today it’s a brilliant film. But 7 years later, when the sequel came out, it definitely needed to be turned into more of a big budget blockbuster, with more action, and more character exploration. Alien 3 was kinda good in its own way, but I think the writers shot themselves in the foot slightly by getting rid of all weapons as it almost meant there was too little action for its own good. Nicely disturbing though, and kept nicely with the theme… Alien Resurrection… Erm… Well, felt a bit like what it was, a cash in! Not the worst film in the world, but far from the best. The AvP films are nicely entertaining in a “don’t have to think, just enjoy the violence” way though.

The whole point of the sentry guns is to show that the aliens can learn and adapt, and to highlight that for all the tech, ‘it won’t make any difference’. I’d say the reverse is true, it makes it feel like they’re stuffederer.

Yup, I’ll agree with this too… Makes it feel even more hopeless, that despite the being the most heavily armed men that’ve probably ever been sent into battle, they’re still totally screwed!

thorlz
    Free Member

Some good points made,

I think that Alien and Aliens are really two different types of films and it is not possibly to compare them. Both good in there own ways

As for the others mentioned,

highlander 2 – what a pile of… loved the first film, gutted by the second, walked out of the cimena feeling they had destoryed one of my favourites

Event horizon = Class film love it.
    Blade Runner = the daddy of sci-fi films in my opinion.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Some class films mentioned here.

Event Horizon was ace, underrated. Aliens was good…was filmed in the UK don’t you know? The gung ho Americanism is meant to be a myth, it’s beautifully deconstructed in Aliens. Post Vietnam innit? We have an innate understanding of the deconstruction of the American GI psyche now thanks to stuff like Three Kings, The Hurt Locker and Green Zone. This was made during the Cold War when the fallibility of brute force was almost taboo.

Alien 3 worked okay in it’s own way but by this time the franchise was very action orientated. The best Sci Fi suspense film aside from 2001 was Outland.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Alien/Aliens’ is closed to new replies.