Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Alfine thoughts
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Only problem i have when changing wheel is the cable ferrule is a really tight fit in the gear changer arm thing so its a bit of a bugger to get out. Not any where near as annoying as remembering i cant fit the wheel with the tyre pumped up and having to let it down again after 5 minutes with a mini pump.

Neither of the above are really an Alfine issue.

As for all the weight being at the back, I’ve not noticed it at all and was popping the bike off rocks and roots same as normal the other day.

Does or has anyone tried it without the full length outer? It seems a bit silly to be running a full length cable tied to the cable stops

craigxxl
    Free Member

As Buzz Lightyear said if you unhook the cable at the stop you can just rotate the mechanism round and unclip the cable without any tools.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I love my Alfine 8. I have mine on a Saracen pylon 8 frame with mavic rims and kojak tyres.

Its a great combination for the road, im not as thin as i used to be so i find the bike a bit more comfy to ride. Absolutly no issues with the Alfine hub, i think i get more drag from the disk brakes than the hub.

I use the bike to get out on the road for 20-30 mile runs so couldnt care less about the last few % of efficency.
    on the road the 8 speed is fine, all the greas you need. I run out of leg speed at about 25mph which is about where most people are better off just getting in a tuck downhill anyway, on the flat i cant push top gear anyway.

If i was touring i would like a slightly lower gear and the 11 speed would fit that bill better.

Gear chainging is perfect on mine, no issues and being able to change while not pedelling is very handy.

I have a flat bar race bike with a triple chainset and i much prefer riding the Alfine bike, its not quite as fast but just a nicer ride for me anyway.

I would definatly consider an upgrade to the 11 if i could get one at a decent price, right now they are just a bit out of reach.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

thepodge – I put a spot of grease in that ferrule .. helped a lot. pre grease I was having to use my leatherman pliers, post grease I could use cold fingers.

just sold mine though as new multi-purpose bike setup is on the way that I’ve decided needs an wider range that the ‘8’ could give me. (loaded bike packing versus road commuting versus XC)

Temporarily running a 2 x 10 setup on the bike that had the alfine though and I don’t know if it’s new hub + bearings+ lighter weight but it does just seem to coast and roll so much easier compared to alfine. just got to get my head back into the ‘normal’ shift pull versus the alfine ‘reverse’ trigger again. Few dodgy moments in traffic this morning

thepodge
    Free Member

Yeah, greased it up and tried crimping the end onto the cable outer a bit tighter. still not perfect but much better

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Alfine thoughts’ is closed to new replies.