Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alfine gear questions
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

If you run an Alfine 8 speed hub with a 32 front ring, what sort of ratio spread do you get?

tonyg2003

just slightly larger than a 8speed front 32t cassette 12-32t

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

The 8 speed Alfine is roughly equivelent to a 12/27 cassette I think.

Sheldon Brown has a gear calculator for IHGs – you can work out inches of gear for a given chainring and cassette and then make a direct comparison for the Alfine.

Personally I use a 34 ring and it does everything I want it to.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not exactly enough for a road based commute on slicks then?

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

I don’t think you would find it that bad – maybe a bit of spinning if the road points down.

Depending on set up there may not be enough clearance from the chainstay for a bigger ring on on the inner mount. Move onto the outer mount and the chainline goes out. I believe if you use a Nexus sprocket you have the option of flipping the sprocket to achieve a better chainline. 34t works fine for me on an offroad/onroad undulating commute.

I have found 34 is ok for a commute

Mister-P
    Free Member

It is wider than a 12-27. Ratios are 1.615 to 0.527 so with an 18T sprocket it is approx 11-34.

Kahurangi

I use on on my commuter. okay, it’s 700c with Marathon XR (touring semi-slick) tyres. Grind up a hill at as low as 8 mph, spin out somewhere between 35 and 40 mph. That enough for you? 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Grind up a hill at as low as 8 mph, spin out somewhere between 35 and 40 mph

Yours must be much higher geared than mine – it’s range is more like 7 to 25mph (45 front, 20 rear).

Kahurangi

Yours must be much higher geared than mine – it’s range is more like 7 to 25mph (45 front, 20 rear).

Something like 45 front, 18 back. When I say grind, I mean standing up and grinding. I’ve managed 41 mph and was almost pedalling 😀

rickmeister

just swapped a 32 for a 36 up front, see how it goes tomorrow…. had to flip the chainring to the outer ring on the crankbut the chainline still runs ok.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alfine gear questions’ is closed to new replies.