Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Alfine experiences please?
  • grtdkad

As per the title really.

I am old school 3×9 shimano but am looking at a bike with an Alfine set up.

Any of you run the 1×11 set up? What are they like for performance and day to day riding please?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Got the 11 and it’s fine if you keep the yellow dots lined up, as the cable stretches it’s slips a bit.

Also if you live in a hilly area got for the 20 tooth on the back.

It changes nice and under pressure

grtdkad

Thanks JC

Yes there’s plenty hills around here. Are you suggesting a 20t chainring?

grtdkad

… Are these pretty much winter proof too?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got the 8 speed, probably >1500 miles on it. Zero maintenance, however I did clean it yesterday and fitted a new chain.

thepodge
    Free Member

Getting the 8 speed was the best bike upgrade I ever did. Running 32:18 off road in the Peak

JohnClimber
    Free Member

No the 20 tooth is on the back (of a 29er) and as long as you dust down the chain once the mud’s dried on and lube the chain before your next ride it’s perfect.

monkeyboyjc

I used to have an 8 on the commuter (just sold it a month ago), did about 1500-2k on it, not a single problem.

I also used to have (sold a couple weeks back) an 11 on the mtb. I bought it when they came out. Didnt have any issues in the 1st month or two, then the cable snagged and bent, which ment i couldnt get into 7,8,9 or 10 with out it skipping, a quick cable change and it was fine.

One thing i would say, i did have to fit a middleburn cable oiler as the return spring seems to be not as strong in the 11 when compared to the 8. So i regularly (every 5/10hrs of riding) had to spray a bit of GT85 down the cable. This may not be bad if, like me, you only go on 2/4hr rides but i could see it being a problem on ‘all day’ers’. It might just have been an issue with my hub though…..

Only reason i sold both bikes is to get one new one (although it doesnt have an Alfine).

grtdkad

Thanks that helps. As I say it’s a very new concept to me … 😐

monkeyboyjc

also bare in mind servicing – i know it sounds silly, but while they require ‘less’ maintaince than a standard mech set up, when the service intervals are up you will either be charged £80ish by your local bike shop, or have to buy the tools and do it your self.

Doing it your self is cheaper, but means stripping the 8 speed and bathing its internals in oil (guides avalible on the web).
    The 11 is less invoved, is just a case of sucking out the oil with a syringe and flushing it out with new – however the shimano kit (1no syringe and a plastic pot) costs £70. There is a much cheaper (£24) alternative on ebay which i bought and was fine. Replacement shimano oil is around £12 a service.

ontor
    Free Member

I have the 8 speed. Best thing I’ve used when it comes to gears

thepodge
    Free Member

Cost me 20 quid for a full service not 80.

monkeyboyjc

every shop i’ve asked in Bristol has been around the £80 mark…

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m clearly paying northern prices

grtdkad

How easy is it to change chain rings? I can see that they’re pretty cheap at about a tenner but want to avoid ruining the set up before I start.

kilo

How easy is it to change chain rings? I can see that they’re pretty cheap at about a tenner but want to avoid ruining the set up before I start.

Presume you’re talking about the rear sprocket rather than a chainring, if so it’s not difficult at all. Undo a retaining clip swap sprockets and then the fiddly bit is getting the retaining clip back on.

should add this is for the eight speed, presumably the same for the 11. I also think the 8 speed is a good bit of kit had no problems from it, off road and commuting

monkeyboyjc

should add this is for the eight speed, presumably the same for the 11

its the same on the 11.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve just been quoted ‘about £20’ for service and bearing change.

Not bad!

grtdkad

Great stuff. Yes, referring to putting a 20t sprocket on.

Might just be taking the plunge !!

Will let you know how we get on!

garybuckham
    Free Member

Been running an Alfine 8 speed on my Surly Pugsley for 2 years now without any problems. And bearing in mind that a high proportion of rides are on sandy beaches and sand dunes with occasional saltwater riding, that’s pretty good. My latest Pugsley also has an Alfine 8 speed and my Road bike, a Dawes Ultra Galaxy also got one recently. I run an SRAM 24T rear sprocket, 34T front on both Pugsleys.

Gary
    http://www.pugsley-on-patrol.org.uk

takisawa2

Out of intrest, what does an Alfine wheel weigh in at ? Anyone ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Alfine experiences please?’ is closed to new replies.