Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Aldi vs Sainsburys
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I've always shopped in Sainsburys but there is a new Aldi opening up here soon and I was thinking of checking it out.

Anyone tried both? How do they compare?

br
    Free Member

to be asking questions like that leads me to believe you need to GET A LIFE!

CHB

aldi are great as a top up shop. Better quality than Lidl and Netto.
    They are brill for cheese and cold meats and wine n beer.
    Veg a bit iffy sometimes.
    Their M&S.

Big Aldi fan.

CHB

oh knackers BR…bad enough to ask. That must make me worse still for answering!

Drac

We've had a Lidl open near us. It's handy for a handful of things but not for a weekly shop, Aldi I find just bloody awful.

mikey74
    Free Member

Hahahaha br, you may be right. I have to admit it's something that has only just occured to me and thought I'd ask. It's not like I lie awake at night thinking about it.

But the fact that you even looked at this thread suggests that you may need to do the same :mrgreen:

MrOvershoot

I don't have a life so can answer with impunity :p

Do my main shop @ Sainsburys & tend to use Aldi on a day to day basis for other stuff (the fact that Aldi is about 200 meters from my house does make it convenient)

On the whole the stuff in Aldi is good but with some products the choice is limited.

Oh and don't expect the checkout staff @ Aldi to be over chatty as they are monitored on the speed they scan stuff.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

99% of the time we do our weekly shop in the Local Lidl, when we lived somewhere where Aldi was the nearest, we did our weekly shop there.

the only time we visit one of the big 4 supermarkets is on the odd occasion we want something that Lidl/Aldi doesnt stock like Fishermans Friends, or we want something at 10pm, or i have ordered my perscription from the pharmacy in Asda. Conciquently our visits to any of the big 4 is around 1 every couple of months.

With checkout staff – if you go regualry into a store, because they have a very small staff – you get to know them and have a chat. Equally, even on busy days they dont need to open more than a couple of checkouts, and get through the queues much quicker than they do in normal supermarkets.

GrahamA
    Free Member

Oh and don't expect the checkout staff @ Aldi to be over chatty as they are monitored on the speed they scan stuff.

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't the case at every supermarket

the-muffin-man

We stock up on all the basics at Aldi (80% of our shop) then go to Sains for the stuff we can't get there.

Sandwich

Aldi good for basic stuff. Things like olive oil are cheap but very good quality, likewise parmesan cheese. Their cycling stuff is also good. This/last weeks cycling top is very good.

M6TTF
    Free Member

It's mostly full of government spongers with large families – hence the need to buy cheap, leaves them with more cash for 60 B&H 😉

as most have already said – things like cheeses are pretty good but there's no way I could do a full shop there

MrOvershoot

M6TTF – Member

It's mostly full of government spongers with large families – hence the need to buy cheap, leaves them with more cash for 60 B&H

as most have already said – things like cheeses are pretty good but there's no way I could do a full shop there

Not in my local one, some serious MILF & 30 something singleton action going on 😀
    Oh and they don't sell cigarettes as IIRC that is why Aldi Sud & Aldi Nord split.

Oggles
    Free Member

Sliced meats are awesome, as is the cheese. Lovely cheese topped baps for sarnies, brioches and pain au chocolat are nice, and my favourite tuna flakes in sweet chili sauce!! Got some nice curry sauces this week with powdery stuff on the top of them. The fudge and peanut brittle is also a tasty treat!
    Stuff can be hit and miss, you just have to learn what is good by trying it.

andymonty
    Free Member

i usually end up in aldi just for the specials 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Some of Aldi's stuff is very good, including…

Chorizo, baked beans, frozen tarte fine pizzas, olive oil, choc-chip brioche, wine, beer, nappies, cured meats, smoked salmon fillets.

I wouldn't go to my local one to pull though.

Edric64
    Free Member

Aldi cycling kit is really small though .Nothing they do fits me .Lidl stuff is better imo

MrNutt
    Free Member

I find the main differences being that in sainsburys you don't stick to the floor or have to fight chavs for cardboard boxes but then you can't buy a circular saw in the cake aisle in stainsberrys.

speaker2animals

Now I am a Government sponger I have become a convert to the ways of Netto and Aldi. £9.99 for a transluscent race cape. Very light, packs tiny and seems well made. Not polythene as you might expect for that money. Not ridden in it yet but I think it may even be reasonable at breathing. Would have had a spare if there had been another XL.

I couldn't do all my shopping there but find that I am getting more there (plus my local town market for some fruit and veg). £1.29 for 4 large cans of Princes chopped toms from Netto today. Sainsbury the cheapest were about £0.56 a can last time I looked. Having said that I am now getting my milk in bags from Sainsbury. 2 x 2 litres for £1.50. Don't like screwing the farmers but don't have the money to be too choosy at the moment. And I don't even buy B&H and can't even afford a beer every week.

tron
    Free Member

A lass I'm at uni with did a blind taste test as part of some research for an essay.

The results were that for some stuff, people thought the Aldi gear was Waitrose, and generally couldn't tell what shop stuff had come from by the taste and quality.

Parma ham was the major exception, with people fingering Aldi as being the cheapy.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Bought a track pump at mylocal Aldi on Saturday,4.99!!! Bargain.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Aldi vs Sainsburys’ is closed to new replies.