Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Aldi compressor question.
  • scruff
    Free Member

I bought an Aldi compressor yesterday. They don’t come with anything this year with the hose and regulator as an extra. So went to Halfords and bought a Tyre gauge and coupling. I got a ¼ coupling to connect air hose to the tyre regulator but it wont fit into the hose. Having looked again this morning Air regulator box says it has ¼ inch BSP but the Internet says its ¾.

WTF do I need?

coffeeking
    Free Member

3/4 bsp is huge (relatively)?

tron
    Free Member

The Aldi compressor I have (from a year or so back) came with 2 outputs, both are fitted with a PCL type high flow quick release fitting. The aldi compressor I have came with selection of cheap'n'nasty plastic hose with the connectors fitted.

Like so:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-line-coupling-PCL-High-Flow-AC34-Quick-Release_W0QQitemZ290283179516QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors?hash=item439639cdfc

Not the more common curvy type of quick release fitting.

BSP thread sizes are the bore of the pipe.
    1/4 BSP sounds about right for a small compressor. The actual thread would be about 15mm diameter.

What exactly won't fit ?
    Do you mean the metal spigot on the tyre inflator is to big to fit in the rubber hose or have you just got incompatible couplings ?

scruff
    Free Member

Sorry, but whats PCL ?

scruff
    Free Member

Hose goes into compressor fine, but the coupling twixt hose and tyre regulator doesnt fit on the hose. It screws onto regulator, supped to push fit into hose. Hose has 1 male 1 female end, it will fit into itself fine.

I bought one like this, but it wont fit into hose.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/66114/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/Female-PCL-Connector-Pack-of-5;jsessionid=DST4GE0KDXOVMCSTHZPCFFA

Hose fitting is more like this

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/54413/Power-Tools/Air-Tools/Universal-Connectors-Male-5Pk

That's two different types of coupling you've linked to there. They won't connect to each other.
    That's the good thing about standards, there's so many to choose from. 🙄
    PCL is the most commonly used in proper garages.
    Those Universal ones are more of a hobby thing.
    Looks like you need to but a male universal coupling with either a male or female thread to suit your inflator.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I had a similar issue with one I bought a year ago, according to Machine Mart, these compressors have German or European standard hoses which are not compatible with UK regs. It doesn't matter as long as its for home use and you get either an adapter or put a UK size fitment on 1 of the outputs which is what I did. Luckily a local (Barnsley) company sells both adapters and the Euro type fittings, if you're near to J37 of the M1, they are called KDA but you need a card as its trade only.

devs
    Free Member

Right I'm concerned now. Anyone got a link to the adaptor we need or an inflator with the correct coupling?

scruff
    Free Member

Just been to the local air hose suppliers, warehouse full of the stuff but not got what I need. Man said the connector isnt PCL or BSP standard and it is probbaly a Chinese made for Germany fitting. He suggested using the internet…

singlespeedstu

Scruff post a picture of the hose and the fitting.

uplink
    Free Member

Go into Machine Mart – they have a whole shelf full of the different fittings

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Go into Machine Mart – they have a whole shelf full of the different fittings

But not the ones you are looking for as I said ^ they are a German standard and Machine Mart CANNOT sell them as they don't conform to UK regs. Where are you based? If anywhere near Barnsley then KDA can sort it out otherwise I don't know.

tron
    Free Member

Concerned? MTFU. They aren't unobtainium fittings, they're not commonly used in garages because changing all your fittings is a faff once you've got a few, and because the main advantage of the type of fitting Aldi have used is high flow, which is useful for painting or the hobbyist with a marginal compressor, but not the bloke in a garage with a massive compressor and a rattle gun, who has a load of fittings that he's had 20 years.

PCL is Pneumatic Components Ltd, and they make connectors. Other people copy them.

As for adaptors and the like, it's fairly simple – you take your hose to the local motor factors / machine mart, along with your tools. You either buy a hose to match the connectors on your tools, or connectors for your tools to match your hose. Hose connectors are not always easily changed, tool connectors always unscrew with a spanner.

Almost all air kit is the same size – I'd guess it's 1/2" BSP but I've really no idea. You very rarely encounter unusual sizes in normal applications. Sandblasters and the like might have special hoses that are wider than 10mm ID and connectors to match, but 99% of stuff is standard.

devs
    Free Member

but I've really no idea

Thanks for your really unhelpful input. Has anyone got anything useful rather than a pointless rant? I'm still concerned, I might have to go and get off my jacksie and do some investigation. This may eat into riding time and that is very concerning.

scruff
    Free Member

I've just spent ages looking at various internet sites but Im none the wiser. Its all jibberish, although B&Q do a Rockmaster range of comprssors which also seem to have a fVcking stupid size connector. I'd cut the old one off and stuff a new normal one on but dont want 8Bar of air shooting a jubilee clip at my my eye/japs eye/brown eye.

singlespeedstu

What tron said.
    It's only a connector not brain surgery. 🙄

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Don't know who you are aiming the pointless rant comment at as I have tried twice to help. I'll try again, there are 2 or 3 options 1) Buy all the bits from KDA but if you're not local then 2)Change the output on 1 of the 2 valves to a UK spec which is as easy as getting the bits from Machine Mart, unscrewing the existing valve, applying some PTFE tape on the thread, screwing on the new adapter and using the UK spec stuff. Or 3) buy everything you will need from Aldi, I see they havent got tyre inflators atm but seem to have everything else.

tron
    Free Member

Look. You take your hose to a shop, show them the connector you have got, and they give you the bit you need. Not everything is easy to do from behind a computer, but that's life.

Think of it as the tool equivalent of getting new cranks when you're new to bikes and don't even know what a bottom bracket is. Your best bet is to show it to a man who knows.

The actual size of the thread on air fittings is more or less irrelevant as 99% of the time it is the same. Google would suggest 1/4" BSP. If you want to make a purchase from the internet right now, then I would suggest buying a coupling that looks like the one I first linked to. There aren't that many types around, so just buy a cheap one of those with the correct thread (ie, male or female 1/4" BSP) to fit your tool. FWIW, I have the Aldi compressor from a year or two ago, and a load of different PCL fittings. The ones that come with the Aldi gear are interchangeable with the PCL fittings I linked to. And the photos on the Aldi website show the same fittings.

devs
    Free Member

piston broke – it was tron's patronising comments I was aiming the pointless rant at. He's a bit of a condescending twit (insert alternative vowel for effect)
    BUT…………
    he's got a point. It's a complete non issue now that I have actually gone out and had a look. Take coupling out of tyre gauge, insert coupling from other tool such as drill. Order the ones he links to start off with so you can have a coupling for every tool if you see the need.

tron – Ta for the info you provided. If you chill a bit and remove the smarminess you actually would have to type less! Good gen in the end though. Thanks.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to the adaptor we need or an inflator with the correct coupling

How about these?

That's basically the kit that came with my £60 2.5HP/24Litre compressor (which uses Universal / Euro fittings) from screwfix when they made an arse of their pricing.

If you wouldn't use the other gubbins, then probably one of these, and one of these, along with one of these, and one of these for the end would fit the bill – but the cost does add up a bit.

scruff
    Free Member

Went back to the local air hose suppliers, another guy on the desk gave me exactly what I was after- for FREE !

Result.

Just need to get a decent Presta / Scraeder adaptor now wot doesnt pi55 its air out to the side.

radoggair
    Free Member

and………… a happy ending 🙂

odannyboy
    Free Member

we all got there in the end.stick the kettle on…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Aldi compressor question.’ is closed to new replies.