Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Aircraft ID request…!
  • rkk01
    Free Member

S Wales this am.

More specifically, north of Cardiff / St Athan – most likely climbing out of St Athan…

Normally reasonably good on recognising aircraft, but this had a funny paint job red / white / blue

Hawk / Harrier sized, fat wing like a Harrier, but I thought we had sold ours?

seanoc
    Free Member

Hawk is distinguishable by having absolutely no distinguishable marks. It’s pretty easy to say it’s not a Hawk.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

QinetiQ have a red, white and blue Harrier used for R&D so at a guess it was that.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Alpha jet?

gwaelod
    Free Member

French display team Alpha Jetperhaps ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrouille_de_France

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Aircraft/Displays/OtherTeams/index.html

edit – Curse IanMunro and his lightning fingers!!!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Mind you that harrier looks pretty similar –

Kuco

Thats a nice paint job on that Harrier.

rkk01
    Free Member

I thought Alpha Jet, but wing root chord was too thick – same for Hawk.

Red white blue paint scheme wasnt like that ^ either – three blocks of colour – nose to cockpit, middle / wing and tail

Qinetic harier sounds about right – will google

ETA – no wasn’t like that^ (Dont think anyway – was banked over so I had a “top” view

gwaelod
    Free Member

someone may have had a new paint job for a Jubilee flypast next weekend

BristolPablo
    Free Member

St Athan still does the repairs for MoD owned jets (non frontline) but when this was taken they did the F4 Phantoms 🙂
    There was also a Hawker Hunter at a few displays in the past year or two that was red white and blue but I think it would have been the Harrier.

rkk01
    Free Member

someone may have had a new paint job for a Jubilee flypast next weekend

Thats what I was thinking – climbed up over Beddau this am, so almost certainly out of St Athan

MartynS

one of these??

gwaelod
    Free Member

Spotters website says the Hunter was there today

http://cardiffstathan.blogspot.co.uk/

I like this colour scheme best

CountZero

That F4… 😯

grahamh
    Free Member

What you can’t see is the block behind the hanger holding up his fag, to light it on the afterburner 😀

TuckerUK
    Free Member

What you can’t see is the block behind the hanger holding up his fag, to light it on the afterburner

Flight, take that man out to the range butts and get him to sieve the bullets out the sand.

Reheat man, reheat!

bigjim

I’ve seen that hunter at a couple of airshows, its called Miss Demeanour, makes a good noise.

rkk01
    Free Member

If the Hunter is still in that paint scheme, then that’ll be the one I saw – the nose was white / light, mid section red, tail blue…

Departing at 10:35 is “Flapjack 1” Hunter F.58A G-PSST ..landed 11:18

Time is right too, I left the house for a meeting at about 10:40

anjs
    Free Member
    muddy_bum
    Free Member

rkk01
    Free Member

Vixen and the Provost both very distinctive silhouettes….wasn’t either of those

tim41
    Free Member

Both the red white and blue Harrier and Jaguar from Boscombe Down have been retired. There are no Harriers or Jags left flying in the UK.
    It does sound like Miss Demeanour the fancy paint job Hunter that you saw.

Moe

X post! 🙂

anjs
    Free Member

The Vixen is not flying at the mo due to under carriage problems at Hurn. One of the Boscombe T2 Jags has just moved to Bruntingthorpe but none are flying these day in the UK. The red / white / blue paint scheme on the Quinetic planes is known as a rasberry ripple.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

rkk01 – Was it about 1035ish?

South Wales Aviation Group logged “Flapjack 1” Hunter F.58A G-PSST yesterday about that time.

rkk01
    Free Member

rkk01 – Was it about 1035ish?

Yep ^ left house at about 10:40

Moe

Strewth! The ST branch of fightercontrol.com ! 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

This, categorically…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6JAS-Fs2yY[/video]

Could hear it long before I saw it – was the noise that made me have a look to see what was coming. Wouldn’t normally bother as we get the civil stuff from Cardiff with certain wind directions

CountZero

Flapjack 1 is beautiful, she often flies at Kemble, as there is a history of Hunter and other jet repairs there, the airfield owner has his own all black Hunter, and at the last Air Day they had nine flying in formation, which was a fantastic sight.
    And sound!
    When my brother got married, he had the blessing carried out at the bike club clubhouse on the airfield, by an Air Force chaplain, and as the bikes rolled into the airfield and along the road to the clubhouse, the black Hunter, which had been stoogeing around for a few minutes, did a low fly past for him!
    He was dead chuffed!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Aircraft ID request…!’ is closed to new replies.