Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ahem- road bikes
  • spoon
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking for a road bike for about 1k, anything better than the offerings from planet x- pro carbon sl

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/bikes/q/drop-bar-road-bikes/pro-carbon

Any opinions on Carbon vs Ti….

Planet x also do a Tri bike for the same price

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSPRIV/planet-x-stealth-pro-carbon-sram-rival-time-trial-bike

Not planning on tris, but is it more comfortable/better than a standard road bike.

thanks stw-hive-mind

(yeah yeah whatever I’ve got a massive dh bike and an enduro bike before the flaming begins…)

nmdbase
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/focus-cayo-105-ltd-2011/
    and use TOUR20 for 20% off, £879 😀

bazep
    Free Member

spoon
    unless you plan to do time trials or tris I’d go for a road bike rather than a tt/tri bike. The gearing set up is different as well as the geometry. You wouldn’t go out with others on a tri bike as the brakes are away from the gears and vice versa and they are much more twitchy and designed for flat straight roads essentially. They’re also not well designed for any reasonable hills. You can always put clip on aero bars on your road bike if needs be (worked ok for me up to 112miles anyway).
    Personally I’d go for a Ti roaddie if ££’s allow.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spoon
    Free Member

thanks bazep, great concise answer ! thats answered that question!

quite liking that focus as well.

njee20
    Free Member

Gearing isn’t necessarily different on a tri bike, you’ll often find that road bikes of that price will come with a compact, as opposed to a standard chainset on a tri bike, but it’s not a gaurantee. Bazep is definitely right about geometry though, tri bikes are very twitchy and not nice to climb on, wouldn’t recommend unless the vast majority of your riding is tt/tri based.

You need to try a few ideally, fit is very important on the road, more so than on an MTB. Without getting into wild generalisations ti frames tend to be either light, or stiff, but not both, and personally a ti road bike would never be on my shopping list. The Focus is absolutely stunning value for <£900, that’s where my money would be going.

bluebird
    Free Member

Boardman always seem to get very good reviews. The Boarman Team is a grand, or the Team Carbon if you can stretch to another £300.

There’s usually descent bikes for £1k on eBay, if you’re happy with used.

FuzzyWuzzy

or the Canyon/Rose German mail-order route

m1kea
    Free Member

Aside from a 55 chainring, I don’t have a problem riding up hills on my TT bike……..

All joking apart, stick with a conventional road bike as that’s what they’re designed to do and as njee says, you really do need to try a few out for fit.

I have two carbon road bikes and two Ti’s (one’s the TT wagon). Carbon will be cheaper than Ti and I personally prefer the ride of Ti. – Horses for courses and all that.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Was just about to buy the boardman team on C2W, then saw the orbea aqua 105, similar spec but 105 chainset rather than FSA.
    Google cycling plus bike of the year they did a 1000 quid grouptest. Cube attempt won but has triple chainset which I can’t see point of. Cannondale caad 9 105 also scored highly along with the boardman.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

lots of choice and you cant get much better value for money than Planet X although that focus @ £879 is a great deal. Ribble have some good offerings too but their customer service is revolting at best! may be an idea to hang fire for a month to take advantage of the 2012 bikes coming out and the 2011 range being reduced perhaps?

montylikesbeer
    spoon
    Free Member

Wow, thanks guys, good stuff.
    That ribble is rather nice ! great reviews as well.

top of the list now !

Taff
    Free Member

I’m looking at the same thing at the moment. So far been looking at:

Boardman
    Trek 2.3[url=http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Bikes&product=Attempt%2020%20speed%20-%202011]Cube attempt[/url] – I really like this one
    Scott Speedster

I’ve also looked at the Specilized Allex range and the Focus Cayo. Loads of deals out there at the moment following on from the tour and also the 2011 bikes are on sale as the 2012 bikes are coming out now

bazep
    Free Member

I had a rubble for a few years and was very happy with it. As said previously they are good vfm but be prepared for a wait and slightly lax comms. The newer frames look great.

Andy

That rubble linked to looks great.

I’d also consider 2nd hand as road bikes dont seem to hold their value. I have just bought a mint (<200miles) Giant Defy 2 with an upgraded 105 10speed groupset for £500. As a first proper road bike its ideal for me!

nmdbase
    Free Member

Apart from the Dribble won’t look like the picture as it has totally different stuff on it.

davidjey
    Free Member

Not planning on tris, but is it more comfortable/better than a standard road bike.

Hell no!

oldgit
    Free Member

Apart from the Dribble won’t look like the picture as it has totally different stuff on it.

Why for do they do that? this is an illustration of what you won’t be getting 😐

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ahem- road bikes’ is closed to new replies.