Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Afan Forest
  • MJaus
    Free Member

Anyone ridden at Afan Forest in wales? I have been looking on the net and it looks good. I was thinking of going down there in a couple of weeks if its worth it.

retro83
    Free Member

Do you mean the trail centre? If so , Its great. Personally i really like penhydd and whites level.
    Nothing difficult really and its rideable even when the weathers crap.

jfeb
    Free Member

Great place. Lots of chat on here about it. Chuck “Afan” in to the search engine and you will find lots of reading material.

It is good enough to make a day trip from London there worthwhile IMO, and that is 6hrs+ of driving! Not very environmental though

MJaus
    Free Member

Awsome, I will plan a weekend down there then. Thanks.

uplink
    Free Member

Great place – my favourite in the UK [& also the furthest 🙁 ]

wonderful final descent to the cafe/car park at Glyncorrwg

Rickos
    Free Member

Which final descent though – Skyline or Whites? Both are great, but Whites is prolly my favourite overall route, especially if you mix in a loop of the black run too.

Don’t forget – there’s 2 centres that are both included as Afan. The old centre at Afan and the newer one at Glyncorrwg about 4 miles up the road. Glyncorrwg has camping, licensed cafe, good bike shop, showers, etc.

backhander
    Free Member

Great fun to be had, although I find Skyline a bit boring. Too much fireroad rubbish and not enough fun although the final descent is a scream. Thoroughly recommend Penhydd for variety (short as it is).
    imo the drop off cafe at glyngorrwg has got it just right; good simple food at good prices and a good vibe about the place. The crap visitor centre at Cwmcarn could learn a lot from it.

uplink
    Free Member

Word about the cafe – Check that they only charge you what they should

There’s been a few allegations of over-charging/short changing
    But the food’s good & you can get a cold beer

backhander
    Free Member

The frikkin beans on toast is ridiculous.
    And they seel Brains SA. Play some weird music sometimes tho……..

buly79
    Free Member

I went on Sunday and thought it was ace, we did Whites Level which I thought was really good. I drove 5-6 hrs to get there and thought it was well worth it I’d defo go again.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Glad you like it Buly..

monotokpoint
    Free Member
    mcboo
    Free Member

we’re going from London on Sat morning, early o’clock, ride ’till late. Big night out in Port Talbot (!) then up and at it again on Sunday before the drive home Sunday late pm.

Looks like rain, presume nice and gravely/rocky so still good fun in the wet and not a mudbath?

jimster
    Free Member

If it’s wet take spare transmission and brake pads.

It eats the whole bloody lot.

shands
    Free Member

Dont know if I d recomend Port Talbot for a big night out. Suppose it could be ok for a medium but not a BIG!

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

swansea’s down the road 😛

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

lol…prostitues r ment to be £10 in port talbort tho …thats the only thing part talbot has to offer…and sulpher…

runswithscissors

afan vid quick vid of final descent on skyline if you want to know what you are in for…..

IdleJon

jimster – Member
    If it’s wet take spare transmission and brake pads.

It eats the whole bloody lot.

Not in my experience, and living about 10 miles away I’ve ridden there plenty over the years.

Got a fair amount of scars from there though!

Denis99
    Free Member

A taster of what to expect – final section berm of the black run (on a nice day).

scraprider
    Free Member

nice vid runswithscissors , wot camera are you using m8,sorry for thread hijack

runswithscissors

Thanks scraprider, quality is awesome but looses a little when it’s uploaded to vimeo. Using a HQR2 Cam not cheap but brilliant quality and real easy to use.

grumm
    Free Member

I drove 5-6 hrs to get there

Bloody hell!

jimster
    Free Member

Do the Penhydd Trail, it’s only got a “Red” rating but the singletrack sections are well well worth it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Afan Forest’ is closed to new replies.