Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • aerodynamic windproof jacket?
  • joemarshall
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a cheapish, stretchy/aerodynamic windproof jacket, as I have just realised how much the aerodynamics of wearing a jacket changes my speed, it being first day of riding in with just a short sleeved jersey. I imagine that jackets and things are in sales what with it being summer?

I currently use an altura cropton lightweight shell, which is great over the winter, but if I could get something that was more aerodynamic, that would be great. Today I did about the same effort, into a similar headwind as most of last week, and was a good 3 minutes faster over the hour. It made most difference on the flat, very sheltered section at the end of my ride – I felt like I was pedalling with the same power as usual, but going at 40 rather than 35km/h.

While I'm here, what about windproof but aerodynamic longs that don't have padding (I don't like cycling short pads), are ronhills or similar my best bet? Currently I wear tracky bottoms, but they are probably not aerodynamic either.

cheers,

Joe

ourmaninthenorth

Er, just buy normal road kit. It does all of what you need.

BigJohn

Some roadies in the '50s had jerseys with silk tops and wool backs – so you would slip through a headwind but get a push from a tailwind.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Er, just buy normal road kit. It does all of what you need.

Yeah, I imagine it does, but google hasn't come up trumps for me, as it seems hard to compare jackets for stretchiness/aerodynamicness online, I don't want to get another lightweight but wiffly-waffly jacket. Any tips on makes or particular jackets? I have loads of short sleeved jerseys, I just want something long sleeved and windproof to bung over it on cold days.

Joe

rootes1

taken a look at wiggles dhb windproof stuff?

ourmaninthenorth

I wear an impsport wind jacket. It's made in my club colours, so not entirely applicable, but I bet they still make them. It's light, close fitting and showerproof (well, mine isn't any more, but it's been around, shall we say).

The alternative is to wear a gilet and just have some arm warmers. At this time of year, you'll be more than warm enough.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I wear an impsport wind jacket. It's made in my club colours, so not entirely applicable, but I bet they still make them.

Is that something like this:
    http://www.impsport.com/direct1/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=14

cheers,

Joe

MrSmith
    Free Member

the rapha stowaway jacket is windproof. quite close fitting too.
    i'm slim and find it doesn't do the flap-flap thing at speed.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Gore Bike Wear Phantom II WINDSTOPPER SO Windproof Jacket

Mate and I got both versions of this jacket and its great – we got ours for birthday/treats as they are a little dear 😉

BTW had mine for 5 years now and still going strong 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Mine doesn't have any pockets at all. It's around 3 years old, so designs may have changed. Poss it's like the rain jacket, though it's only eve been showerproof at best, and these days wets through pretty quickly. The material is very thin, so not bulky like other windstopper fabrics.

I wear it was a winter jacket, but accept I'll get wet in the rain. Now it's getting *slightly* warmer, I'm into a gilet and armwarners with short sleeved jerseys (one baselayer and two jerseys) underneath. I reckon this will do just what you need, and you can always unzip as you ride for the Euro look 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

The bonus of the Phantom is that it turns into a gilet after you zip the arms off – It is warmish in the winter and coolish in the spring / autumn – I love it!!

jfeb
    Free Member

If you look on the Gore website they label their jackets, loose, average and tight fitting (or words to that effect). I have a Gore Oxygen SO and it is basically figure-hugging. £100-ish though.

If you happen to be XL-sized I happen to be selling one in almost perfect condition (a bit too big for me)

ETA – Here you go: Linky

jfeb
    Free Member

The Phantom (nice jacket, by the way) is actually not one of Gore's "fitted" jackets. Some are more fitted.

joemarshall
    Free Member

the rapha stowaway jacket is windproof. quite close fitting too.
    i'm slim and find it doesn't do the flap-flap thing at speed.

Blimey, for £170, it'd have to do the pedalling for me!

Mate and I got both versions of this jacket and its great – we got ours for birthday/treats as they are a little dear

Hmm, on the list of possibles. I wonder if there is something cheaper – I don't really care if it is breathable, waterproof or fancy in any way etc. I just want it to have arms, stop the wind, and not be heavy or non-aerodynamic.

It is weird, my current one doesn't feel flappy, but the difference is really obvious between wearing and not wearing it. Hmm.

I don't suppose anyone knows how tight the DHB Hunston is?

Joe

foxyrider
    Free Member

The Phantom (nice jacket, by the way) is actually not one of Gore's "fitted" jackets. Some are more fitted.

I got the medium and OK its not a tight fit but it is sort of fitted – The arms are no way baggy – I think its a good compromise between a very close fit and aerodynamic enough not to flap 🙂

jfeb
    Free Member

I got the medium and OK its not a tight fit but it is sort of fitted – The arms are no way baggy – I think its a good compromise between a very close fit and aerodynamic enough not to flap

Agreed. For the terminally thin, like me, the fitted jackets are even better though 😉

jfeb
    Free Member

I don't really care if it is breathable, waterproof or fancy in any way etc.

It sounds like you just need a Pack-a-mac in one size too small. 😉

Non-breathable windproofs are nasty IMO

cynic-al
    Free Member

3m over an hour? I think there may have been others factors at play.

soobalias
    Free Member

im not sure you want a jacket at all.

get a nice helly base layer.

aP
    Free Member

Try sportful – I have a good winstopper jacket which I've used a lot in the Pyrenees and the Alps for descending and cold days, it folds up nice and small and goes in a jersey pocket as well

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oi jfeb – you callin' me FAT 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

windproof but aerodynamic longs that don't have padding

endura & dhb do winter longs in unpadded.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘aerodynamic windproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.