• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Xan.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Advice on painting fox talas
  • Xan
    Free Member

Just about to attempt my first paint job on a set of fox talas rlc. The paint has started to flake on the lowers so time for a tidy up. I'm a decent painter so not worried about finish. Thinking about stripping the paint off with a bit of nitromorse then a sand down with a light sand paper. Looking at using etch primer as a base and then painting them silver with clear coat or just doing them the grey again cause I'm not sure about painthing the crown. Afterwards keep in a warm, well ventalated room for a few days. Is there anything funny about this process with fox that I need to be aware of? As for decals I assume I can get them from a local fix dealer?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Did my Talas' but I'd use a better primer and harder finish as it's very chipped now. Nitromors works well. Stickers from Ebay.

Xan
    Free Member

So a coat of etch, few coats of a standard primer, 2 coats of paint and 2-3 of clear coat with a bit of copter tape to finish it off lol.

JoeNation
    Free Member

If you let it cure properly between coats you shouldn't need any tape. And make your you mask the seal areas properly (but you knew that already).

chunkypaul
    Free Member

can you post up the details of what products you a planning to use xan please? as i am interested in repainting my pike lowers but I am a total spray paint virgin

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Pretty sure I've seen people recommend you sand down the existing paint to key, instead of removing it.

Xan
    Free Member

The problem with not stripping back is that the base that is there is flaking meaning that any base you put on to will also eventually flake. As long as you use etch painting the bare metal will be fine. Without etch it will just flake eventually if it takes at all

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The lowers are magnesium alloy so probably best to leave the paint on and get the high build out.

Xan
    Free Member

Found this on the net about painting Magnesium alloy. Not sure if this means anything to anyone. All a bit over my head TBH.

See page 13

http://www.magnesium-elektron.com/data/downloads/DS256SU0.PDF

According to this Caustic Soda should be used to strip the paint???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Advice on painting fox talas’ is closed to new replies.