Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice on getting cheap train tickets, please?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Looks like I’m going to have my hair cut, have a shave and put on a suit and visit that London village next week

I’m happy catching the 06:26 from Chester to Euston and the 20:10 back to civilisation.

Two questions:
    Any way of reducing the 102.50GBP fare? I can deal with the 12.00GBP return cost.
    What type of ticket will I need to get across from Euston to ExCeL?

Thanks muchly.

sparkyrhino

Book tickets 13 months in advance.

donsimon
    Free Member

I love this place. 😆

Nick

You could get the 22.28 to Wolverhampton the night before and wait there will 5am, then it would only cost you £37!

Or the 21:35 and get to London at 01:15, which would be £12, walk over to Kings Cross and split the £90 you saved with a lady of the night?

ART

Don’t know about your route… but the trick is often to split fares. So for e.g on my stretch the fare leap comes in at Didcot. This means that if I buy a straight return from Bath to London it costs the £100+ that you are quoting. But if I buy a return Bath-Didcot and then Didcot- London it’s much cheaper … this mean you can also get round the peak stuff depending on timings. Sorry if that all sounds a bit complicated, sure someone will be along with wiser words shortly!

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

try pricing – Chester to Crewe – Crewe to Euston.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Book in advance or get bus, sorry.

SamB
    Free Member

Book as far in advance as possible. I paid £32.50 one way Chester -> London 2 weeks in advance, a week later it was up at £102 for the single! No help now I guess 😕

As far as Euston to Excel, you can go for:
    – 2 x singles (Euston -> Excel, Excel -> Euston). Max £3.10 each way, less off-peak.
    – Zone 1-3 travelcard (£10.60) – probabl only worth it if you want to do other stuff in town

druidh
    Free Member

Another vote for splitting the journey. I saved about £100 on an Edinburgh-Exeter journey last year by doing this.

Russell96

Off peak return from Flint on the 07:21 to Euston £74.20 plus free car parking. But all depends I guess what time you have to been down there for any earlier and they hammer you.

donsimon
    Free Member

Book in advance or get bus, sorry.

No need to apologise. 😉

06:30 train 102.50 GBP
    08:30 train 25.00 GBP????
    return in the evening 12.00 GBP??????????? 😯

Looks like the car. 🙁

Cheers all.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

Chester to Crewe – £10.00
    Crewe to Euston – £78.00

You don’t even need to change trains, so thats a bit of saving.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice on getting cheap train tickets, please?’ is closed to new replies.