• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice needed regarding Brecon, Wales ??!!
  • rolfey22
    Free Member

Could anyone recommend a few good single tracks in the Brecon area please?
    I’m off there for the first time on October 7th and of course the new Lappy is coming with me!

Any advise would be really helpful..

Thanks all….

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Hello,

You’re not far from Afan, Glyn Corrwyg, and a bit fruther from Brefcha.

You’ve also got the well know Gap ride too in the local vicinity, which has some great riding in the hills.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Go To Brechfa, stay at Brechfa, and ride the best trails in Wales.

dan93
    Free Member

Check out the Brecon beast route if you want to follow a pre-designed route. The Gap road is worth doing as is a lot of the singletrack around Talybont reservoir

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Gap is a lovely ride, well worth it. Especially if you take the right fork after the farm gate heading North…..

saxabar
    Free Member

The Gap’s OK, but better routes to be had from Talgarth imv. Have a look around the forum for Black Mountains routes.

timmys

I guess you’ve found this site?;

Mountain Biking in the Beautiful Brecon Beacons

I did a few of the routes and they were fun but not a lot of proper single track. To join the chorus, the best fun we had was on our trip to Brechfa to be honest. Afan is in reach too.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

the beacons are more your out in the hills wilderness riding. great but if you want singletrack scalextric go to brechfa or afan . avoid the black mountains in the current monsoon- peatfest!

Nipper99
    Free Member

Cwm Rheadr is quite near for a quick blast and would also recommend the Doethie Valley.

Milky
    Free Member

Don’t go to Brechfa as it is closed for the winter! The forestry work started on the first of September and is going on for 16 weeks. All routes out of the Raven car park are closed.

Steve_B

We were on holiday near Brecon in Jul/Aug. Biking was always going to be geared to how much of a mountain I could be persuade my wife to climb with a bike – and then muggins sheared a bolt on the rear suspension 🙁

The routes on the link posted by timmys were in our house as route cards – as well as a guide book by Nick Cotton. We did variations on a couple – and the way we adapted them they both had a mix of superb desent a bit of tedious climbing, some hike a bike and fantastic scenery. The ones we adapted as a mix of the folowing routes and Cottons routes were

sarn-helen

mynydd-du-forest

Crickhowell by steverb_11, on Flickr

I say adated as to be honest some of the routes I looked at seemed bizarre – far too much road or cycle path on any of the easier routes and Cotton routes seemed to cimb some cracking descents.

Keen to back and explore a bit more though.

A word of warning – you will definetely need a 25K map and way marking/bridleway signs were very intermittent on our circuit.

ps Nick Coton’s routes are available here if you wish a GPX eg classic-black-mountains-circuit

Although our rides were a bit hit and miss we ruled out the idea of driving an hour and half and paying £50 hire charge to ride on a “scalextric track” (and I do enjoy the Scalextric as well!)

br
    Free Member

To the left and up a bit of Crickhowell there are loads of routes, plus the Gap and the valley down from it. As said, get a 1:25000 map.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed regarding Brecon, Wales ??!!’ is closed to new replies.