Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice needed on student loans…
  • langylad
    Free Member

I have a grunting teenager who is starting uni this time next year, and i know absolutley jack about student loans, ie where to get them from, how much do they cost, how do they work etc.
    Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

MrSalmon
    Free Member
    tron
    Free Member

Money Saving Expert tells all. You'll use google a lot at uni – start now.

langylad
    Free Member

Thanks Mr Salmon, i'll take a look. Tron, just looking for a friendly reply from a trusted web site before wasting half my day on google, sorry for interrupting your obviously precious time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You (or more usualy your parents then you sign it) apply based on your parents income, they're expected to top them up to the full ammount.

Everything gets messed up, no one can tell you anything as invariably its someone elses data and they cant tell you about it (you, or your parents), and after all they they pay a random ammount into your bank account 8 weeks late.

It's not quite that bad, but sometimes feels like it!

If it were me again I'd take everything I could get as a loan and invest any change, but that relies on high interest and low inflation which might not be the case next year.

The loan is plenty enough to live on + pay rent etc, I used mine and didn't have to dip into any of my summer wages so actualy came out of uni with a nice cussion to tide me over untill my first payday in October.

epicyclo

Don't give him any money to feed himself. He'll soon become an expert and know all about it.

langylad
    Free Member

A mate of mine bought a sack of potatos to feed himself for a month, didn't do him any harm and is now a potato culinary expert. The mate who lived off fish fingers for a year however had to have part of his stomach removed.

tron
    Free Member

just looking for a friendly reply from a trusted web site

Like Money Saving Expert?

OTOH I could tell you what I can remember about it – you fill out some forms with parents income, and you get some money.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Students always seem to crowd round casualty corner in the local Sainsburys looking for reduced bargains
    One bought asparagus and a light bulb the other day,sure that made a lovely dish for tea

rootes1

paid mine off now… phew

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

student cooking:

fat free chicken pie:
    chicken
    flour
    chicken stock cube or chicken gravy

Flour + water = dough (cheep and easy pastry substitue for pies :))

Boil chicken in stock and reduce as nececary, add flour to thicken

Make pie in small saucepan and bake

Robert is your mothers brother,

A bit rubbish, but takes time and costs peanuts. Tastes better with cheese sauce and veg, but they cost money!

tomhughes46

Tastes better with cheese sauce and veg, but they cost money!

Do you steal chickens?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed on student loans…’ is closed to new replies.