Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Adventure/gravel bike, help me decide
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Woohoo! The financial controller has authorised a new bike, so i am looking for an adventure/gravel/cross bike. Max budget is £750.

This will be my first drop bar bike so im not quite sure what i should be looking for; any advice would be awesome.

So far i have got a very loose spec

Frame: Steel or al
    Fork: steel or carbon
    Discs
    Sora or above
    Rack and mudguard mounts would be nice

(Mostly 2015) bikes I like the looks of:
    Giant Revolt 1
    Pinnacle Arkose
    Fuji Tread 1.3
    Specialized AWOL
    Norco Search S2

Anyone with any experience of any of the above?
    Not sure why but i dont fancy a cdf.

Im 6ft, sat on a m/l revolt and it felt ok for size.

Thanks!

steveoath
    Free Member

My mate picked up the norco and its a really nice bit of kit.

Burts
    Free Member

New Norco Search’s are now aluminium. I guess there may be some deals on the old steel models if you can find them.

ceepers

Charge plug?

2017 Plug 2

Last years has the same geom but is steel. Fun and versatile

The arkose is very well liked

Questions to decide the answer to are

How much am I going to ride it off-road compared to on-road

Is weight important? Steel is heavier, steel forks weigh a lot more than carbon ones

Is strava racing important? 😉 “cx” style bikes are very quick on game off road but a proper road bike is a lot quicker on Tarmac

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

Not that worried about weight or strava.

Probably half on road, more if i ever move close enough to commute by bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of those, I’ve only ridden the Revolt and AWOL.

The Revolt rode well, a nice lively fast feeling bike for the type, but hideously ugly! (IMO, obviously).
    The AWOL felt lovely and sedate, like an old school tourer really, but with a bit more sturdiness. Would do very well loaded up as a gravel/road tourer or commuter, I reckon. One thing to bear in mind is that it weighs as much as an old school tourer. Not a bad thing if you’re using it for intended purpose, but worth knowing! The Elite (equipped) version is ace, as the racks and guards are top notch.

wicki
    Free Member

Personally I would advise you beg steal or borrow one and give it a good try first, I Jumped at the AGB category and purchased the PX London road and really after 6 months am disappointed its crap off road and crap on road a 29er with two sets of wheels would do the job better in my opinion though I am sure many will cry me down for this post.

If its your first drop bar bike it will probably disappoint off road

so if your in France soon you can buy mine 😳

thomthumb
    Free Member

raleigh look good to me.

not ridden one, or anything off your list though…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Raleigh look good to me.

Actually, that’s a good call! They do have some lovely looking stuff in that department this year. Not ridden any yet, though.

db

I have a steel Norco and love it. Took it to Lanzarote in September and it made so much sense using tracks to work my way round the coast and then jumping onto a fast road to blast back for lunch. Only thing I don’t love is the finish which is kind of matte rough finish. Not sure if the current one is the same and its just my personal view.

amedias
    Free Member

The AWOL felt lovely and sedate, like an old school tourer really, but with a bit more sturdiness. Would do very well loaded up as a gravel/road tourer or commuter, I reckon. One thing to bear in mind is that it weighs as much as an old school tourer

^ spot on, The AWOL is it’s ace, I have about 2,000 miles on mine now and I love it, but it is not light in bottem end trim, the frame and for aren’t actually that heavy for a steel bike of it’s type, but the Sora gear and ‘robust’ finishing kit weigh it down. The OEM wheels are actually flippin’ good on it though, not light, but sturdy and with nice wide rims, and if you adjust the cones on delivery (factory set with too much preload) then they are super smooth and reliable. The 2015 base model with front and rear racks and full metal guards, and bottle cages and chunky pedals comes in ~30lbs, naked it was ~26lbs, a future upgrade once the Sora has worn out and some lighter wheels would have it comfortably < 25lbs I reckon, 26-27lbs with full accessories which for what it is isn’t bad, but if you’re going for something more sporty and less for loaded carrying and offroad duties you might be better off looking at lighter options.

Tyre clearance on it is massive too, I managed to get a full on MTB knobbly 29×2.2 in without guards with no clearance issues, 29×2.0 would be doable with guards I think depending on tyres, I have either 38s or 42s fitted with full guards and the guards aren’t even mounted at full clearance so you have a lot of rubber options.

It is hands down the most stable bike I’ve ever owned, but still responsive and quicker than it has any right to be, especially offroad. It wears a front load or rear load very well (I actually prefer it front loaded given the choice), it’s actually surprisingly comfy too but great for carrying or towing too as it is stiff in the right directions at the back. The OEM racks are also decent (tubus F+R on last years, this years is Specialized’s own front rack), as are the guards so if you can get a deal on last years elite model it’s well worth it.

It’s also incredibly dull to look at, if that bothers you, although the white one this year is a bit brighter.

Oh, they size up big too, the top tubes are very long for each size so don’t be suprised if you end up on the size smaller than you expect when/if you try one out.

I’ve not ridden any of the others so will not comment on that aspect of them, but the Pinnacle Arkrose looks great to me, and very well and sensibly spec’d. That would probably be my ‘on paper’ choice if I couldn’t get a test ride on any of them.

benp1

Arkose 3 is in the Black Friday sale, it’s been reduced to £750

105 group set with BB7 brakes – winner

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It wears a front load or rear load very well (I actually prefer it front loaded given the choice)

I assume you’ve seen the Poler versions?

And this.

Oh, and this?
    Di2 Alfine in Peacock Nuke paint.

More over at The Radavist.

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

You may not fancy a Cdf, but a Croix de Fer 20 at £719 looks like a good deal to me http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m1b0s23p37707/Genesis_Croix_de_Fer_20_2015

amedias
    Free Member

CFH – I had seen those but I was a bit sceptical having always been a rear-loader on older bikes, but I spent some time experimenting and now almost exclusively load up the front on my AWOL given the choice, it’s not low low trail but it is lower than a lot of bikes and just feels a lot better to me that way now.

Gratuitous excessive haulage shot:

And getting a bit more off the beaten track

If mine was nicked tomorrow I would buy another immediately, I wouldn’t even look at anything else. I like it that much.

That’s very unusual for me, normally I would think about other models, better value etc. and look around to see if there was anything I might prefer.

firestarter
    Free Member

For that money I’d be buying an awol

vorlich
    Free Member

Another +1 for the AWOL. Also my first drop bar bike. It’s really comfy and confidence inspiring. Capable off road, rolls well on the Nanos I’ve just fitted. If you can find one for £750, bite their hand off!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Amedias, skinwalls! I approve! What are they?

amedias
    Free Member

Compass Barlow Pass in those pics, it has had others on int the past

bit of bike packing….

vorlich
    Free Member

Here, have a photo.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Now I have AWOL envy.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m hoping the answer to this question is the 2016 Arkose 3 with Shimano Hydraulic discs, as mine arrives in the Evans warehouse tomorrow.

28mm Gatorskins already in stock in my shed for winter road riding.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vorlich, that photo makes we want to jump on your bike and ride off in to the distance. Love it.

iainc

A pal has an AWOL and it is everything the above posts say. It’s quite a chunk of a bike though which may not appeal to all. Having had a 2014 and now a 2015, CDF, I’d be looking out for hydraulic brakes as a must have as I reckon the difference is substantial.

thorpie
    Free Member

Don’t get a Planet X London Road, really not getting on with mine. It’s like a symphony of noise every time I turn the pedals and I cannot, for the life of me, find out what’s causing the noises. That and the frames are not finished very well. I have also owned a custom built Croix de Fer and would highly recommend one of those, in fact I wish I still had it!

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

The new Orra Terra looks fab but 1k

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This will be my first drop bar bike so im not quite sure what i should be looking for; any advice would be awesome.

OP, I’d be thinking more about what you want from the bike re what type of riding?

If I was looking at ‘gravel’ commuting down the canal towpath and some recreational riding on lanes and fireroads at weekends I’d check out something like the Raleigh Mustang Sport (Sora) or if can stretch/find a deal then the one up with Sram Rival 1×11, or that Arkose 3

If I had full days out, or medium-long-distance adventure in mind, a bike that can tour on and off road, take all manner of luggage and tyre-widths – then the AWOL would be high up that list.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I’d add in the Kona Sutra to this list, I’m running an older one but I love it. similar stype to the AWOL, its had its CX tyres and no racks for quick blasts around the local Dene, but its been my road commuter for work, its been racked up and toured with, its certainly a jack of all trades for me – and thats perfect!

3x gearing is most useful for touring thats for sure! as above – it definitely depends on what you will be doing more of, you’ll find that most/all of the bikes mentioned will probably cover it – then its down to cost/looks etc…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Oh! – if had sat down with a pencil* and designed my One Bike To Rule Them All – it would have looked very much like that.

*Edit OK more like this:

senorj

The arkose is on offer at the moment ..within budget…you’ll even get change for sweets.

vorlich
    Free Member

Vorlich, that photo makes we want to jump on your bike and ride off in to the distance. Love it.

Cheers. Sadly the reality is less inspiring, at the end of that track the sweet singletrack descent was completely overgrown with nettles. I pushed on regardless, I’ll need to strim it next summer 🙂

franki
    Free Member

How about the GT Grade Alloy Sora?

I’ve got the 105 version and it’s an awesome ride, on or off-road.

captcaveman
    Free Member

Boardman CX bike is also on offer at £750 in Halfords

revs1972
    Free Member

Plus another 10% off the boardman taking it down to £675 on Halfords website

MoreCashThanDash

Arkrose 3 at £750 is a bargain!

whereisthurso
    Free Member

For me the Cannondale caad x with tiagra groupset can’t be beaten at £625. I’m trying to resist!

bumper
    Free Member

go and try an Arkose. Love my 2.

Hydro brakes are fantastic, ride is comfy and relaxed, has a normal bottom bracket, full carbon fork/steerer, 1×10 is easy to maintain and it gets me anywhere and everywhere!

Being an old git, the bar end shifter is a doddle after years of downtube shifting.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers. Sadly the reality is less inspiring, at the end of that track the sweet singletrack descent was completely overgrown with nettles. I pushed on regardless, I’ll need to strim it next summer

Give me a shout when you do and I will give you a hand. I’ve cleared fallen trees along the single track but the brambles must be on steroids. It’s a great wee trail when it’s clear. I use it to form a loop to Aberdour and back along the coastal path.

bothybiker
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Genesis croix de fer range? Had one 6/7 months and can highly recommend!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Adventure/gravel bike, help me decide’ is closed to new replies.