• This topic has 60 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Advanced driving course
  • saleem
    Free Member

What sbout getting her to do the pass plus

Nonsense
    Free Member

I have had nothing to do with IAM, pass + or any of the other organisations mentioned. However I am an advanced police driver and had weeks and weeks of training and assessment. Whenever I give my wife any constructive feedback on her observation, planning, position, smoothness or progress she punches me in the goolies.

Hope this helps?

Trekster

IAM is the route I would go. My son did the course straight after passing his test and was the youngest member at the time. He did it for two reasons. 1) He was travelling 30mls a day to work and still did not feel confident in his driving
    2) For his D of E. . 14yrs on and he says it was the best thing he did.
    Regards some of the above comments re car control I can assure you all my auto test and road rallying experiencedid not do me any good driving around the mad roadways in and around the Manchester/Bury area at the weekend 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Trekster around here you need to rely heavily on your forsight of other drivers…that worse case move you think they may pull next…they do and constant lane changes with no gaps up Chester road…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Whenever I give my wife any constructive feedback on her observation, planning, position, smoothness or progress

At least you are able to do this. Some of us have to keep our eyes shut tight (and hands together tightly sown) for the whole journey.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got Surfmatt’s phone no. somewhere……

thegreatape
    Free Member

I am led to believe that the advanced police driving in Scotland no longer includes skid pan training, due to the stability control systems on modern cars that can react so much quicker than the driver. I guess cadence braking used to be included until ABS became standard.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Hora, are you a driving god?

I suspect you are not, no matter what you might think about yourself, so please just stop making irrelevant suggestions.

Attitude plays a big part in driving well, not the ability to talk a good drive and fantasise about your extreme car control skills (or even mountain bike skills)on various internet forums.

IAM/Rospa are good organisations that aim to get people to a high standard of safety whilst making reasonable progress.

I did the IAM motorbike course (and a Corporate IAM driving course) and found it worthwhile, even if I was aware of much of the content beforehand. Being observed and tested is a useful experience in itself. Some people might be afraid of what they might hear.

By all means disagree with some of their dogma/mantras, but they teach a solid, safe method of driving -If not necessarily exciting, dynamic or particularly ‘advanced’ in the sense of extreme vehicle handling.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I have recently done some courses, Pass Plus, Drive and survive and a skid pan session. Despite being aimed at new drivers ( approx 2 years after passing) I think the pass plus would be ideal for her as it irons out bad habits and builds confidence.

Aristotle
    Free Member

For someone who isn’t comfortable and flowing/smooth with the fundamentals of driving, and there are a lot of drivers who fit into that category, following a systematic approach (as per IAM/Rospa) can be a big help.

Skid control is very useful (look how many drivers were absolutely hopeless when it snowed during the past 2 winters), but better to first understand what gear/rpm you should be using and learn not to be a hazard on the road.

Racing lines, late braking left-foot-braking, heel-toe, hand-brake turns, drifting etc. are all great for people who are interested in driving and like to push it a bit, but not necessarily that useful for someone who doesn’t really understand the basic mechanics of the car or have an awareness of what is going on around them.

I think the expression is: Learn to walk before you learn to run.

hora
    Free Member

Where do you make your assumptions about people? Am I driving God? Mostly definitely not. Neither are you. Its an opinion and when did I talk about drifting, hand brake turns or heel and toe? You also completely missed my suggestions about refresher courses with a normal driving Instructor didn’t you? Why do people have to go for Gold on qualifications when a refresher may well do?

Really, as with nbt earlier, sometimes people on STW get ahead of themselves after taking a few courses on a particular subject.

The basics of driving are driving. First and foremost. Confidence for a nervous or unsure driver plays a massive part. The OP mentioned hesitation.

If you don’t like my opinion fine but who cares if you have been on a Corporate IAM course? Does that mean you can lecture and make assumptions? No.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

hora, stop talking out of your arse will you?!? For the OP, the IAM route is probably the best route. And as I think you suggested, doing it together is a good idea. We’d probably all benefit a lot from something like this (apart from hora of course).

This thread is missing SurfMat. That is all.

nbt

Really, as with nbt earlier, sometimes people on STW get ahead of themselves after taking a few courses on a particular subject.

Hello Mr Pot, have you met Mr Kettle?

Where did I “get ahead of myself”?

The basics of driving are driving. First and foremost. Confidence for a nervous or unsure driver plays a massive part. The OP mentioned hesitation.

Correct. Where would a skid pan help with this? Your suggestion of a refresher was noted but was not in your first post, and would not be as cost effective as a RoSPA or IAM course 🙄

BTW I haven’t been on a corporate IAM course. Does that mean I’m not allwed to say anything at all?

hora
    Free Member

I am partly coming at this from the wrong angle. My angle is she knows all the basics, there is something underlining maybe. My comment on track day is wrong as it gives the wrong message. I mean refresher and skidpan – possibly to give back some confidence and remind her.

Good day. I don’t think we should spend forever arguing. Its not good for us 🙂

Aristotle
    Free Member

hora – Member

Where do you make your assumptions about people?

Like quite a few people on here, I know you in real life… 8)

Somebody was talking about track days and skid pans earlier. Somebody else made further references to track days.

I’m making no claims about my skills, but I do have experience of IAM, on 2 wheels and on 4, which you presumably don’t.

IAM & Rospa are a good thing, and a starting point, if not the complete answer to everyone’s motoring dreams.

nbt

My angle is she knows all the basics, there is something underlining maybe.

Knowing the mechanics of making a car move does not make you a driver. It’s the roadcraft that needs to be worked on.

I don’t think we should spend forever arguing. Its not good for us

And on that we can agree. We can even agree to disagree. Back to work for me

hora
    Free Member

Like quite a few people on here, I know you in real life…

But your making an assumption on that. I’ve not seen you for going on 4yrs and even then it was on a few rides over the space of circa a year.

It’d be lovely to go on rides again though 🙂

And on that we can agree. We can even agree to disagree. Back to work for me

Agree.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Like quite a few people on here, I know you in real life…

Hora Wrote:
    But your making an assumption on that (?)

er, Yes…

ps. We last met about 2 years ago (you turned up!) …I remember it as you were wearing a Flecktarn camo German army jacket -for maximum outline distortion and maximum invisibility to drivers- to cycle on the main road into Manchester when it was wet, foggy and dark… Just saying like 😉

hora
    Free Member

Kinda blended in didn’t I. That was the Christmas Market I think.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Maybe you need a Cycling Proficiency refresher?

hora
    Free Member

😆

BTW your (Pacific branded) TV is still going strong in the spare room.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Advanced driving course’ is closed to new replies.