Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • adding unwanted comments !
  • roblane65
    Free Member

why do people find a need to post comments on prices of items they are not interested in buying ?

benji
    Free Member

Well what can we say on a thread like this 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

Drac

If you report them we can investigate and delete them.

roblane65
    Free Member

I suppose your right should have known better than to ask !

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hands up if you do that, go on, hands up..

Wot?

No normal forumite?

mattbee

First of all, well done for discovering that STW isn’t just selling & buying.
    Secondly, some of the prices on here are woefully out of touch with reality. People wanting nearly new prices for used stuff, or pricing way over condition.
    Personally I wouldn’t comment although I do wonder sometimes, not so much to ‘warn’ people off from paying so much but to avoid having to see the same old crap listed ad infinitum with maybe a 1p per week reduction.
    Somebody wee’d on your campfire, btw?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

adding unwanted comments

Just because YOU didn’t want the comment, doesn’t mean other people won’t appreciate it

craig78
    Free Member

In fairness if you put anything on this forum it’s fair game.. Majority of people are genuine.. And
    P.. I’ve personally found it to be positive.

slowoldman

I don’t know, but whatever it is it’s overpriced.

roblane65
    Free Member

nobody p****ed on me campfire at all , been on the forum a long time now and don’ just use it for selling so who are you to pass judgement !
    if as it seems so many people on here dislike peple selling stuff take the classified off
    me I like them bought and sold lots of nice stuff 😀

roblane65
    Free Member

think I’ll post again with another penny price drop. 😆
    didn’t think it was to overpriced and willing to haggle

Drac

Just so it’s clear.

Ad Spoilers

Please respect users’ Ads. If you have no intention of buying an item then please refrain from posting comments on the ad. If you have genuine concerns about an ad then report it to the moderators. Posting seemingly helpful comments about an item being cheaper elsewhere often upsets the original poster and spoils their ad. If you genuinely want to help the seller or potential buyer then contact them directly off forum.

If you feel that your ad has been spoiled by a third party then use the ‘Report this’ link on the post in question to alert the moderators. The moderators will then look at the reported post and decide if action needs to be taken. Moderators will not be proactive with this rule. They will only act if a post is reported to them using the ‘Report this’ function and only if the report is from the OP.

If we agree that a post is an Ad Spoiler then we will warn the user, delete their posts and any subsequent replies in order to do our best to return the ad to it’s pre-spoiled state. Repeat offenders risk a ban from the forum.

roblane65
    Free Member

Don’t want to see anyone on the naughty matt. 🙄

j450n
    Free Member

How’s about this:

Post For Sale/wanted add

Option to lock thread and respond by PM only.

Works on another forum I’m a member off and solved the OP’s Problem!

(…and mine)

J

nickjb
    Free Member

We had a big thread about this ages ago. I thought the consensus was that this is a community forum and the buyer has as much right to good advice as the seller. As a public forum it’s all fair game. Unfortunately the site owners didn’t see it like that and we got the rather draconian rules posted above.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You could buy new comments for less!

nickjb
    Free Member

Post For Sale/wanted add

Option to lock thread and respond by PM onlywould be terrible. Much better to be able to post progress and feedback.

bruneep

Mainly a classified user, in my eyes you are fair game.

Tad harsh deleting people

convert

the seller. As a public forum it’s all fair game. Unfortunately the site owners didn’t see it like that and we got the rather draconian rules posted above.

That rule does seem to be a bit sucky. It’s only real purpose seems to be to protect greedy sellers, and promulgate over priced unrealistic ads that get posted again and again. Having said that the site has come a long way from the early noughties when it was just a smallish group of folk selling stuff to each at mates rates to clear their parts bins when prices were nearly always great value for money.

roblane65
    Free Member

As I said I like the classifieds only ever had one problem (as a seller btw) and wouldn’t mind anyone leaving feedback on me. think I’ve had plenty of happy buyers.
    bruneep .. that’s what it’s there for to use.
    just because I don’t post night after night on every section. how much time do you know I spend on the forum . 😉
    mainly a classified user makes me fair game for WHAT !

iolo
    Free Member

If I was buying an item second hand I would expect a second hand price.
    Should someone point out on the thread that the asking price for a second hand item was too close to a new price (complete with warranty) at some website, I would be extremely thankful for that information.
    Perhaps the seller themselves might be unaware that their item was available new at that price and might have to alter their price accordingly. Or not sell it.
    What’s the problem with that?

bruneep

How much have you given back to the site for the free sales you have made?

roblane65
    Free Member

I’m not a business making money out of what I post ! and whats that got to do with saying I’m fair game and you still havn’t answered for what !
    and just to clarify I was selling ski boots and jacket (both cheap )and and an Iphone which if you can get one new for £115 then I’m guilty as charged.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Guess it’s the fact you contribute nothing to the forum, and then have the cheek to ask for top dollar (i.e. more than you’d get on ebay) for a mobile phone you’re selling.

Drac

Am I the only one who can’t see where anyone has commented on your sales posts?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

First of all, well done for discovering that STW isn’t just selling & buying.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Am I the only one who can’t see where anyone has commented on your sales posts?

I presume it was the comment on the wtd ad where the op had linked to his phone. IMO that’s not spoiling, just helpful advice.

Cougar

That rule does seem to be a bit sucky. It’s only real purpose seems to be to protect greedy sellers,

I’m not convinced that I’ve drunk the Kool-Aid on this particular rule either, but we were getting a number of people trolling the classifieds going “well, that’s shit” with no intention of actually buying anything. That’s where the “no ad spoiling” mandate came from, it was getting out of hand.

Drac

I presume it was the comment on the wtd ad where the op had linked to his phone. IMO that’s not spoiling, just helpful advice.

Yup. As it’s not his Ad we won’t intervene as per the rules.

Very odd this thread the OP complains about the comments but when asked to report them he says he doesn’t want anyone to get into trouble.

I thought the consensus was that this is a community forum and the buyer has as much right to good advice as the seller. As a public forum it’s all fair game.

You thought wrong. The several emails we got complaint of ad spoiling says otherwise, we only delete of the seller complains we don’t actively look for them or act on them if another member reports the post.

nickjb
    Free Member

it was getting out of hand.

I’m not a big classifieds users but I don’t recall seeing that many. As a mod I’m sure you saw more of it though.

If all posts had to agree with and support the thread starter the forum would be a little dull.

Out of interest OP, how many posts on this thread would you consider unwanted?

nickjb
    Free Member

You thought wrong

I’m not sure ‘several emails’ is enough evidence to refute a consensus but I cba to search for that thread and re-read it. I’d would say that the consensus on this thread is that it should be ok to post on for sale threads but it is a small sample.

crankboy
    Free Member

Can’t see a problem with the comment added purchaser asked about what phone to get at a budget roblane65 offered up his second hand one on the for sale forum someone else made a reccomendation of an in budget new one with similar functionality.

Drac

I’m not sure ‘several emails’ is enough evidence to refute a consensus but I cba to search for that thread and re-read it.

It if the emails out number the consensus.

I’m not a big classifieds users but I don’t recall seeing that many.

It’s almost as if they were moderated.

Solo
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    If you report them we can investigate and delete them, subject to the rules.

My emphasis.
    😉

I don’t believe it could be any simpler than this!

Post an add, while obeying the rules. If anyone tries to piss on your parade, use the “report post button”. If you’re a genuine and honest seller, you’ve nothing to fear.

If you post in breach of the rules, expect to be dealt with.

We’re here for a common interest in cycling, we’re a community and it’s as good as we make it. If folk turn up and rock the boat, it’ll get sorted by those with the authority to look into it, subject to the rules. Not reporting for fear of upsetting those who may need to be reported, does no favours for our community, so tip-in, be part of the team and keep the classifieds as they were meant to be. With the assistance of the Mods.

Carry on.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Some replies are reality checks and actually very helpful to sellers achieving a sale…

teethgrinder

If this is about the phone WTD ad, someone mentions that you can get a new phone (in this case, a Moto G) for what the wantedee wanted to pay for a secondhand phone – and given the rest of the ad, it would fit the bill perfectly.

Didn’t seem to me that it was a comment on the price of the iPhone.

roblane65
    Free Member

all I asked was one simple question why people comment on the price of something being sold,when they are not buying it.I never mentioned ad spoiling.!So all the clever buggers on here have got nothing better to do than turn it into something bigger.
    I never reported anyone I didn’t even name them or the item,
    as far as I was aware that was about the going price and was negotiable if anyone was interested if now selling something on here turns into some sort of witch hunt I’m not sure its the sort of forum I want to be on. I do check the forum quite a bit and do not sell week in week out,or buy stuff to sell on at a profit and I only post on items I think I have something of intrest or help to ad.
    so I hope all you pitch forkers are happy now.
    my suggestion ,remove the for sale before someone gets lynched 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm…..

Anyway, what on earth does

I’ve drunk the Kool-Aid on this

mean?

roblane65
    Free Member

IMO saying you can buy (x) for that is exactly commenting on the price.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘adding unwanted comments !’ is closed to new replies.