Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Addicted to Tea
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m finding more and more that if I haven’t had a cup of tea in the last hour or so, I’m starting to get agitated and grumpy (more than usual).

And I don’t mean the stuff from the Hogsback Brewery (which is bl00dy lovely too)

Is it possible to be addicted to tea?

And is right to not trust anyone in the engineering industry who doesn’t drink it? Its as bad as a floppy handshake.

wwaswas

Is it possible to be addicted to tea?

I think so.

I’ve started using a 15oz mug and having 4 or 5 cups a day (Yorkshire Tea, btw)

My new(ish) mug;

Drac

Where did you get that mug?

That’s freaking ace.

Found it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Wolf-LAD018-Ladybird-Bicycle/dp/B002CLK5QO

yunki
    Free Member

I’m on my fourth cup of the day

wwaswas

Only issue is that the image on the back has been reversed so he’s a) ridign around the track the wrong way and b) has his cranks on the wrong side;

[edit] gosh that’s a large picture, sorry.

comes in a nice box too.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Tea has caffeine in it so possible its a caffeine addition? I used to drink earl grey/lady grey, then discovered good coffee and tea just isn’t the same. Only expection to the rule is on a weekend when i’m rock climbing and stop for a break with earl grey and a twix 🙂

+1 for liking the mug!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Yorkshire tea in a plain, pint mug from t’market, three times a day, at work.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Cup number 6 so far….

I too am addicted, but only till lunchtime! For some strange reason I just stop then… 😕

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I think its a common myth that tea has more caffeine than coffee. It does by weight but you use a lot less tea in a cup than you do coffee.

2 big mugs at home this morning, on my third at work so far….

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I wasn’t implying tea had more caffeine in it than coffee (it doesn’t per mug) just that it probably was the caffeine you were addicted to rather than tea itself.

I have a caffeine additction – I can’t survive without at least my morning coffee but i’m trying to stop my mid afternoon espresso.

_tom_
    Free Member

I thought a cup of tea had half the caffeine of a cup of coffee. It was on QI. I never get a caffeine buzz or anything off tea but I do coffee if it’s non-instant coffee and not watered down.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

But if i have a cup of coffee, it sends me proper wappy! Rubbish addicition if I can’t have too much of the stuff!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

guilty ! Only on my third mug so running behind some of you guys

Milkie
    Free Member

Caffeine addict here.. 4 cups of tea since 8 this morning and I’ve just put a pot of coffee on.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think its a common myth that tea has more caffeine than coffee

I thought everyone knew coffee was stronger (when drinking).

Tea is a civilised drink. Coffee is a dirty addiction.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Coffee addict here, tea is a thing if I am in the mood, normally after a ride, with a slice of cake, I rarely go out for tea, but will go out for a coffee…

On an aside, it transpires that I am the only one in our office who uses the industrial bean to cup machine and as it takes up to much kitchen space it is mine to take home……

Mmmmm happy days!!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Tea addiction … oh yes. I don’t tend to count but anything up to 30 mugs a day wouldn’t be odd 😯

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Me too. Just about to make my 4th cup of the day. Usually have 8 – 10 cups a day.

pedalhead
    Free Member

So are we all dehydrating ourselves by drinking so much tea/coffee? I’ve read conflicting things about the diuretic nature of caffeine drinks & their real world effect on hydration levels. (coffee addict here)

prezet
    Free Member

I used to have about 12 cups a day… managed to cut it down to a more sensible level.

molgrips
    Free Member

My aunt and uncle used to get these weird and quite severe headaches when they visited my parents. On further examination they seemed to appear after a day or two and disappear when they got home after a week or so.

Well are on about 200 cups of tea a day, and my parents drink decaf, it’s all they have in the house. Caffeine withdrawal.

Re the caffeine content – coffee varies a lot more than tea due to the different qualities and types of preparation. American style diner coffee is pretty low in caffeine, but a dark roast filter coffee can be very powerful. Black tea is a lot more consistent I think.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Compulsive tea drinker here too.. Although I’ve had to stop drinking it after 6pm or I’m up half the night peeing

atlaz
    Free Member

My mug

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve nmoved from a pint sized mug to a tiny thing. Was drinking 6 pints of tea at work at one point! Not good for you but definately had withdrawal’s.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I got bought this for christmas

and i love it. I really think the tea tastes better 🙂

SilentSparky
    Free Member

We do unoffical rounds at work, but we have seem to be having a mexican stand off this morning so despite us all generally drinking a fair bit of Tea no-one has had any today as yet.

Not sure how much longer I can hold on, just waiting until for some people to go for lunch, as I reckon it’d be a 10 cup round at the moment…

Kahurangi

Yep. Found that when working at uni (fresh brew every hour) ow when I was getting through a few mugs at work to prop me up after a late wednesday night.

I limit myself to 3 mugs of proper tea during a weekday. Drink Yorkshire Tea decaf the rest of the time and weekends. It’s the only decent decaf tea I’ve found.

morpheus
    Free Member

I gave up caffiene 18 months ago, was a heavy tea drinker. For some people the side effects of caffiene can be quite bad. I feel alot better without it but thats an individual thing.
    caffiene withdrawal can have uncomfortable side effects for days, headaches, tiedness, aches, irritability
    I do now drink 1 cup of green tea in the afternoons to keep me awake after lunch.

brakes
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call it an addiction, more of a dependency.
    I have about 6 a day and maybe one proper coffee a day.
    Tea is a diuretic, but it doesn’t dehydrate you, that would be silly.

molgrips
    Free Member

I read that the diuretic effect isn’t enough to counteract the cup of fluid you’ve drunk.

morpheus
    Free Member

I agree with molgrips, it may not be the best to hydrate you will retain some liquid.

roady_tony
    Free Member

a good tea pot is the way to go with a steel filter
    +1 trickydisco
    then some good leaves (although teabags do make a nice cuppa for sure)
    Assam is my fave at the mo.

i love Tea and Coffee and have probably 8 cups a day , usually mostly tea, with 2 cups of coffee at lunchtime-ish.

i have no problem admitting i am addicted.

i NEED it in the morning. full stop!

we’ve had some addiction to substances since forever – apes eat some types of leaves for a high, early man chewed leaves too, then theres the cocoa bean, tobacco etc, its been with us a looooooooong time. dont worry about it. 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

By ‘eck!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Addicted to Tea

Zoe?

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve tried to cut back on my tea consumption – 6 to 8 mugs a day – as I thought it might be staining my teeth. What are the state of you (not so)pearly whites like? I don’t drink red wine on a regular basis so it can’t be that.

morpheus
    Free Member

tea probably helps prolong the life of teath, (anti bacterial properties) so they may be brown but they wont have dropped out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just enjoying a nice mug of lapsang souchong, but my wife spoilt it slightly by pointing out that it smells like ham.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Addicted to Tea’ is closed to new replies.