Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • active holidays
  • MSP

As my “enduro” bike was been stolen, I will not be able to afford to replace it and go on some guided weeks next year. It will probably take about 12 months to get the money together to replace it.

So as still I want to have some good trips, I am going to take it as an opportunity to broaden my horizons. I am looking for ideas that kind of work out like guided weeks do but without a bike, where a single bloke can rock up and have instant friends based around activities (not in a club 18-30 or sex tourism style).

any ideas?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Neilson! Outside school holidays, obviously.

singletrackmind

+1 Neilson
    I had an ace time at Messini out on the road bike , and some basic mtb rides.
    I windsurf so was happy in the afternoons out on the water.
    Group tables as well so you eat alone, unless you go out in the evenings on your tod

km79
    Free Member

You could just rent a bike.

MSP

I was looking more of suggestions for an activity rather than tour operator.

jonba
    Free Member

Walking holidays can be good. Stick to the harder ones though as then you get a better group. Had some great Exodus trips (Iceland and Ethiopia).

dumbbot
    Free Member

Coached climbing holiday in Font?

http://positiveclimbing.com/climbing_coaching_holidays/fontainebleau_coaching_holiday.html

I did this last year with them and it was great fun, there was a nice spread of people from those that had been climbing for years to some that never climbed outside on real rock. And except for one complete and utter weapon of a guy, everyone else was spot on…

You don’t even need much gear, just a pair of climbing shoes…you can rent a mat from them for the week.

Edukator
    Free Member

Compostelle. You’ll soon be moving along with a loose group of people you know.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Guess it depends what else you do?

Mate of mine went on a swimming holiday in Croatia this year, which looked amazing.

I’d go for walking, kayaking or skiing… or possibly an exodus type bike tour. They tend to focus on spectacular settings, rather than ‘gnar’ terrain, and have bikes to rent.

ampthill

I like Rock Climbing

I think the right one week intro could be a great holiday. Either domestically, in The Alps or one of numerous crags of the Europe. It would be pricey as the instructor ratio would need to be quiet high. Also consider Via Ferrata

Or look at a Sailing Flotilla. There are companies that put groups together to fill a yacht. On a 2 week holiday you can do week one learn to Sail based in a hotel and then week 2 on a yacht. No instructor on the Yacht just guidance every morning and help mooring at night

Go Treking in the Himalayas. Brilliant scenery and culture

MSP

I was now thinking of, maybe some kind of beginners scuba diving week (sardinia?), seak kayacking the (Greek islands or Croation coast) and a cycle tour through Tuscany, dirt road tour if I can find some good route information, there was some race there this year where the route looks like it would be good to do at a more leisurely pace.

geoffj

Tuscany, dirt road tour if I can find some good route information, there was some race there this year where the route looks like it would be good to do at a more leisurely pace.

L’eroica? http://eroica.cc

MSP

No it wasn’t that, more of a multi day or bikepacking thing, wish I could remember its name.

edit: actually it was pretty easy to find, http://www.bikepacking.it/en/event/tuscany-trail

Edukator
    Free Member

The Pilgrim route from Canterbury to Rome goes through Tuscany. There’s a lot of off-road. I walked a section over the Summer but it was too hot to be enjoyable so I returned to the Atlantic coast. On a bike it would have been better as you generate your own wind to keep you cool. I’d previously been to Tuscany in the Autumn which was much more pleasant.

MSP

I think May would probably be a good time of year to be in Tuscany, that was when I was thinking about doing that trip.

singletrackmind

Away from sports, what about a photography course?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘active holidays’ is closed to new replies.