Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Achilles tendon support strap- Do they help?
  • deluded
    Free Member

Has anyone had experience of wearing an Achilles tendon support strap/brace? If so did it help and what one in particular did you use? I’m thinking of buying one for when I eventually get to ride my bike again. I have to say I’m not much taken with the ‘do it yourself’ taping method– I can’t be bothered with that faff. I guess in terms of the mechanical action of cycling (as opposed to running etc) the strap might not be overly useful – I’m just thinking about the protection it might afford on those occasions when you have to put your foot down quickly at an angle or hike the bike up a hill.

My circumstances are that I completely ruptured my Achilles tendon at the start of March playing 5-a-side football. I elected to go for non operative conservative treatment and have been in a cast for the last six weeks with a further two left to do.

Apparently when my cast comes off I will be issued wedges to insert into my shoes and will retain my crutches to mobilise with the heel raised for two weeks before commencing physiotherapy. I want to get back on the bike ASAP (I don’t envisage this being much before September) but this will of course be at the direction of the physio – I don’t intend to ignore their advice and risk a re-rupture.

All the best.

roundwheels
    Free Member

the chances of you being back on your bike any time soon are slim to none. ive had a achilles decomprestion which is different, but it took me a long time to stretch it to the same lenth as the other,if you take your time and do as your phisyio says you will not need to use any supports other than heal wedgies/insoles.there is no speedy recovery .also dont go to the local health center for phiyio ask to be referd the outpatents rehab center at the hospital imo they are not in a hurry to get you of there list

JonM
    Free Member

I agree with the above. I’ve had this injury and the problem is not so much riding the bike afterwards, it’s the chances of re-rupture when you have to put a foot down in a hurry, particularly if you had the non-surgical treatment. It makes sense to stick to road riding for a good few months until your calf muscle and tendon have re-gained strength. My top tip is to move the cleat on your shoe as far back as it will go or if you use flats keep your foot far forward. It’s actually possible to cycle like this with no achilles tendon present (long story!), though not very efficient.

deluded
    Free Member

roundwheels – cheers for the advice regarding hospital rehab, I’ll bear that in mind.

JonM – I’m aware of your tendon infection as I read about it on a previous Achilles thread. Unfortunately I sold my road bike days before the incident 😡 That’s good advice about the pedals I was considering putting flatties on my Cove and I’ll try and drill out the cleats on my SPD’s – cheers.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If it was me I’d be taping the thing up using kinesio tape and getting on my turbo trainer pretty soon. Stressing the tendon is the best way to make it stronger.

deluded
    Free Member

SBZ – yeah, I think despite what I said in my OP I may have to give the tape you mention a go. I didn’t know it existed and have just YouTubed it – looks pretty effective. I was considering a turbo trainer. I’ll take a look at what ones they have at CRC. Thanks.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Kinesio tape is good stuff. There is talk of banning it in sport due to its effectiveness. It is not in any way cheap though. Try ebay.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Achilles tendon support strap- Do they help?’ is closed to new replies.