Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Access around MOD land during live firing.
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Specifically the Otturburn Range.

According to the MOD website, there’ll be live firing this weekend at Otturburn, so no access on the land. What I can’t work out is where the boundary is.

Specifically, I want to get from the Roman camp at the head of Coquetdale, south along Camel’s Path and west down Cottonshope Road. Is Cottonshope Head inside the Danger Area? It looks like the boundary is on the roads I want to ride on, so I should be ok. But I don’t want to get all the way up Coquetdale and have to turn back!

Drac

It’s right in the edge of the boundary, you’re right road is the boundary that far up. If the red flag is flying it’s not a good idea to venture across the ranges.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Actually, just found a clearer map

Looks like my intended route is a no-go then…

🙁

moonboy
    Free Member

>>> slight hijack.

My Dad lives near Otterburn, never ridden up on the ranges but thought about it when visiting.

Are there some good routes up there?

Drac

Ah yes sorry I was getting mixed up with which side Camel’s Path is on, really it follows the ranges road so no chance.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Are there some good routes up there?

I think on the road there are:

Smooth tarmac, no traffic, only slight chance of getting shot. what’s not to like?!

jackson77
    Free Member

The MOD area outside Edinburgh is absolutely no go when they are live firing.

Having tried to sneak through one Tuesday night and then being hunted down was not a fun experience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

These still at Otterburn?

Drac

Yup they are and these.

And these still pay a visit too I think.

Apache Helicopter by Defence Images, on Flickr

In fact the photo looks like it’s taken from Chew Green.

Then there’s these guys with their peashooters.

British Army Sniper by Defence Images, on Flickr

paul4stones

I have been on the ranges in the back of a Land Rover during firing (long story) and I wouldn’t want to be there without them knowing I was 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Access around MOD land during live firing.’ is closed to new replies.