Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)
  • SNOWMEGEDON FRIDAY, always be prepared for the worst
  • rb
    Free Member

Omg it’s snowmegedon Saturday, is anyone still alive!!!. It’s still coming down here in llandrillo, must try and make it to the shops .

grum
    Free Member

Supposed to be flying back into Manchester this afternoon, then driving back to Lancaster. What are the chances of SNOWPOCALYPSE screwing this up?

crankboy
    Free Member

Not biblical disaster scale but very very snowy in Leeds time to wrap up and chop more wood ,

ebygomm
    Free Member

Roads are completely blocked in Ravenshead

Won’t bother venturing out today then, I’m in Hucknall.

spchantler
    Free Member

hmmm, drifts of up to 5 foot, where its sheltered its about 16″ deep, most of it is drifting, one spectacular one down the drive, not taking camera out though. still snowing heavily here in halifax. brrr

gribble
    Free Member

Snowing in Haslemere now. Only just settling, but I live in hope. Wouldn’t mind getting out on the trails with some fresh snow on them, will make a change to the wet mud.

Must go down to Waitrose and panic buy middle class items. I can’t seem to find that Blitz spirit anymore. It is every man/woman for themselves when it comes to that essential copy of the Saturday Telegraph and some herbal tea…

cinnamon_girl

What a picture from somafunk. 😯

Here in Wiltshire it’s raining but I will be going out later to enjoy some serious windchill on Salisbury Plain, riding ss of course. Sorts the wimminz from the girls innit. 😉

Stay warm everyone! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Got a couple of inches here in Farnborough. It seems everyone is staying home too, not many tracks down the road.
    It’s ruined our Sustrans supported family ride though. 🙁

Dales_rider
    Free Member

5 o’clock start and a quick run down th Aire valley
    90 MPH was ok a few drifts about but not that much snow popped into Leeds for breakfast now pff up the wharfe valley for a coffee in Ilkley, cant get much above 80 lots of moving snow.
    Not that much fallen in Yorkshire

somafunk

I’m charging up the go-pro and filled the hipflask wi a nice warming malt and i’m about to attempt to head out on the bike – gonna try and get up into the hills but it’s gonna be a complete farce as i struggled to get to the shed, got my 2.4 Hans Dampf tyres fitted and running 10psi so we’ll see how many comedy yards i can make before i just lie down and accept my fate, so that’ll probably be within sighting distance of my house if i’m honest, suddenly a snow bike makes perfect sense for these 3 days of potential use per year, still snowing (albeit lightly) btw and blowing a hoolie so that’s 29hrs of snow so far.

To paraphrase the great Robert Falcon Scott :

I am just going outside and may be some time

ART

**waves** at somafunk **makes note to check back later** 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Dales_rider – we have a foot in Ben Rhydding, just under the C&C.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

It’s not too bad further along the solway, the drifts are only about 4 feet, with about 8″ of actual snow.

Might even get the bike out later on, if the wind calms down to a light hurricane.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

djglover – Member

Dales_rider – we have a foot in Ben Rhydding, just under the C&C.

We have 3 foot in the Garden in Embsay, but its only drifted snow worst fall has been Shipley Bradford theres a genuine 4/5 inches fallen there, should grind the place to a halt 🙂

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Dales_rider – Member
    90 MPH was ok a few drifts about but not that much snow popped into Leeds for breakfast now pff up the wharfe valley for a coffee in Ilkley, cant get much above 80 lots of moving snow.

You can’t be serious! How, very, irresponsible………..

Dales_rider
    Free Member

toxicsoks – Member

Dales_rider – Member

You can’t be serious! How, very, irresponsible………

Nowlt much in front, so no problem a fast run back up from Leeds hitting a nice 90 again, even with some snow on the bends it cornered like it was on rails 🙂

darkcove

Must be nice heavy snow then otherwise CDU would saying no!

project
    Free Member

Just been to tescosnowmegedon,lots of snow on the posher side of wirral, at least they pay higher council tax than us so deserve the extra snow.

and its snowing now again and sticking.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Nowlt much in front, so no problem a fast run back up from Leeds hitting a nice 90 again, even with some snow on the bends it cornered like it was on rails

You should be reported, pal…..

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Nowlt wrong with a bit of speed 🙂

maccruiskeen

Northwind – Member
    maccruiskeen – Member
    I thought this one was the Coup de Glacé

wait wait wait! I’ve got another one

Fin de Iceiecle

somafunk

I survived!, to be honest it was a waste of time “bikey” wise but good fun in a kind of “this is a **** stupid idea” mindset. I was out for almost two hours and covered less than two miles but still managed to arse all my whisky, so with my mathematical powers i deduce i averaged a blinding speed of 1 mile an hour – dunno if i’ll be winning any Strava KOM’s wi that time but i was certainly the only person out on a bike so i win 1st place anyway 😀

There’s JCB’s and Telehandlers wi buckets in the town clearing the roads and there doing a grand job, they’ve made an attempt at clearing one of the hill roads out of the town (see pic below) but they got bogged down in the larger snowdrifts so they gave up. I failed to make it to my mates farm to play on the motocross bikes, he says the snow drifts are up to his roof line on the farmhouse and they’ve been busy all day wi the tractors and telehandlers trying to clear paths to their farm and surrounding back roads/cottages but the snow drifts are level wi his cab on the back roads, they are quite high up in that area and it’s still snowing/blowing a hoolie.

VW Tiguan 4 motion no motion stuck in the ditch/deserted.

The managed to clear the road as far as the turn off 100yards further up but after that it’s waist high on me so i turned round.

I gave up at this point as the snow is 3ft deep where the diggers got stuck trying to clear the snow.

cinnamon_girl

* calling somafunk * those of us without the white stuff need to hear about your adventure, as well as checking that you survived obviously!

Edit: ha! good timing or what!

_tom_
    Free Member

Went out on the road bike and came back with brain freeze from the snow 😆 Roads surprisingly clear. Absolutely sick of this countries weather though, it’s **** awful this year so far.

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah, it did a bit of a snow dump last night. Brilliant! was quite a good laugh messing about on Conwy Mountain in big old drifts. Diving and rolling in perfect crunchy snow really brings out he kid in you 😀

somafunk

😀

Last time we had any significant snow in this area was back on 12 march 2006 according to my pics, must be a

mad march weather thing

as before that i have pics (not scanned – pre digital) from march 1994 with a very heavy snowfall as well.

Just spent the last two hours shovelling snow from around my car and clearing two wheel tracks to the road end so i can hopefully get to work on monday as if this freezes (which it is (-2 outside now 🙁 ) it’ll set rock solid. Cleared the paths next to my house and all the neighbours, they’re all pretty elderly so i checked on them and got a shopping list which mainly involved cat food/dog food and bread/milk so that’s me expecting a glut of home baking fae them soon, scones, cakes n’ almond biscuits will be all mine 😀

I treated myself to a decent bottle of red and a bottle of Glenmorangie when i was shopping, that’s me sorted for t’night in front of the fire.

bruk

Pretty heavy here. The road down to Frodsham from the house is totally blocked.

[/url] Snowdrift by Moose, on Flickr[/img]

Had a wee drive around once I dug the truck out of the snow. Very glad we did put winter tyres on the wife’s car or she would not have got home last night even leaving work early.

Drifts halfway up my thigh in the garden and at least 10-12 cm on the roof of the car this morning.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Dales_rider – Member
    Nowlt wrong with a bit of speed

Those drugs will kill you in the end, you know?

CountZero

Brilliant posts, somafunk, really entertaining. 😀 Whereabouts are you? (Yes, I know you’re in That Scotchland, but which bit? 😀 ).

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Dales_rider – Member
    Nowlt wrong with a bit of speed

Those drugs will kill you in the end, you know?

Its the drugs that keep me going 😉

somafunk

I’m in the south west, DG6 area to be precise which has had all the snow dumped on it for an amusing change, being on the coast wi the gulfstream it usually misses us out. Kirroughtree 7stanes is 21 miles that way <- , Dalbeattie 7stanes is 15 miles that way ->, Mabie 7stanes a further 12 miles that way->, Drumlanrig is 35 miles that way ^, the Galloway hills for natural riding are <^> all around 😀

And we get to live in the least populated area of the country, more folk work in one square mile of the city of London (316,000) than live in the 2481 square miles of Dumfries & Galloway (146,000) so there is obviously nothing to see up here, nor is there anything worth holidaying in this area for either, in fact you’d best bypass us altogether and strike us from your minds……….i hear the highlands are really nice – visit there instead 😀

cinnamon_girl

Polite request for mcmoonter and somafunk to join forces and set up a retreat for stressed-out STW’ers.

I would love to be able to enjoy mcmoonter’s garden, admire the snowdrops, perhaps pick up a paintbrush. somafunk could demonstrate his skills as a chocolatier and set up a tasting session.

What do you reckon chaps? 🙂

The-Beard

Somafunk, I remember 1994, we had about 3ft of snow and everything stopped. If you were in trouble you had to put an X in your garden for the helicopters to spot. The sledging was awesome though!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

D and G sounds nice, but its full of Scots

properbikeco
    Free Member

yup as mentioned, **** off, we are horrible!!!

CD has pretty bad drifts in places too – 10ft drift at allanton roundabout and certain parts of the town are carnage!

Drac

We don’t have a single flake.

hora
    Free Member

Wow mental over the tops in Huddersfield. Cant people drive? Seriously. A car WILL drift/squirm etc so kill your speed. Sae lots of crashed & abandend but also feckers driving at normal speeds still. Mental. Still had no problems finding parking anywear. Narrow winter tyres rock 8)

somafunk

CG, I dunno If your ever up this way riding the stanes but if you are (and i’m working those days as i also work in a bike shop) shout up beforehand and i’ll show you round our workplace, get you making your own selection of chocs wi whatever weird n’ wonderful fillings you can come up wi.

The Beard : were you in this area back in 94?, we tried to cycle to Screel hill through the Nether Linkens hill pass route from Kirkcudbright to ride it but it took us 6 hours to cover less than half the distance so we very sensibly turned back, which took us another 6 hrs as the snow had covered our tracks – the stupidity of being a natural optimist has never left me 😀

Dales Rider : No it’s not, it’s mostly populated by extremely decent folk irrespective of nationality, apart from the very few exceptions i have encountered, one a very uptight “get off my land” type snob at Knockbrex Castle nr Carrick bay so needless to say i make a point of riding there whenever i can and a few snobs at Kippford, funnily enough i could make comment bout their nationality but i’ll refrain as nationailty has got ****-all to do with manners and social mores in my book.

The-Beard

I’m very much a native. Lived most of my life a stones throw from Mabie forest. Was riding a MTB around it before anyone had heard of a trail centre. Only recently moved back and loving it!

cinnamon_girl

somafunk – that’s very kind, thank you. Scotland has been on my list for a long time so will bear it in mind. I remember your pics of chocs that you’d made, looked delicious! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘SNOWMEGEDON FRIDAY, always be prepared for the worst’ is closed to new replies.