Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Aberdeen?
  • JoeBones
    Free Member

A possibility of work has come up for me in this area, what is it like to live and work in? is it expensive to live there? what is the night life like?

Thanks

Pete

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It’s a sh1thole full of semi-evolved idiots who are evidence that we stopped evolving about the same time as we climbed out of the trees.
    And it’s expensive.
    And there’s no decent pubs.
    And it’s cold.

On the plus side, it’s surrounded by really nice places like Stonehaven which are easily commutable.

**Please note, the opinions expressed in this post are not the opinions of STW or it’s staff, but those of one pissed off former resident of Misery Central

JoeBones
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for that, anyone else?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Not sure what it’s like to live there as I’ve never been but:

Check this

Which looks promising.

bruneep

It’s a sh1thole full of semi-evolved idiots who are evidence that we stopped evolving about the same time as we climbed out of the trees.
    And it’s expensive.
    And there’s no decent pubs.

On the plus side, it’s surrounded by really nice places like Stonehaven which are easily commutable.

wow! what a shite reply that is. Stonehaven isn’t as rosy either. Always get a good scrap in Stoney square whether you want it or not.

Been in Aberdeen since I was 16 and never seen any of the above.

Joe email with what you want to know

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

im hoping its got a large demographic of men/women wanting bikes as i opened a bike shop in stoney!

good riding locally,a snowboard slope,surfing in the sea,good mountains within 1/2 hour drive,scotlands biggest porsche dealer….whats not to like?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

yep, right alongside Milton Keynes. woofekkinhoo.
    Aberdeen or FurryBootsToon as it’s sometimes called after the plaintive call of the locals FurryBootsYeFaeMon) was a big town with a small village mentality doing well enough out of fushin an fermin until the oil came along. Then all sorts happened. Big business moved in and brught all these Incomers from The World Outside. The fushin promptly packed in and moved to Peterheed a few miles up the coast and the Black Stuff took over. this never really sat well with the locals who view people from the next street as foreigners, causing their shoulders to end up with more chips than McCain’s.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

bruneep – I was there for a few years, although I left around 10 years ago. I have very few good memories of the place and even the ones I have are questionable, eg seeing someone I didn’t like getting a kicking in Justice Mill Lane. Funny when you rank that as a “good” memory. I left because, well, you can work out why from my post. Down to Stoney for another few years. Loved it. Never saw trouble, made good friends I’m still in touch with and kept helping out at the Fireballs for years afterwards.

benz
    Free Member

Whilst it may not have the operatic opportunities as the grander cities of the UK, TBH it’s not too bad a place to live at the moment. However this could all change if those hydrocarbons dry up and it becomes like any other post industrial wasteland in the UK.

BBSB – an interesting personal view indeed.

I’m sure a lot of folks would take exception to your description of the fine Aberdonians and equally welcomed residents from other parts of the world.

I’m sitting here looking at the local hills (with their trails), it’s currently sunny, we have relatively robust employment and above average incomes, don’t see too much wrong with the place TBH.

bruneep

A snapshot review based on your experience 10years ago.

🙄

Well done

duckman

im hoping its got a large demographic of men/women wanting bikes as i opened a bike shop in stoney!

good riding locally,a snowboard slope,surfing in the sea,good mountains within 1/2 hour drive,scotlands biggest porsche dealer….whats not to like?

Can this be the same man who was moaning about his VAT bill to me on Tuesday? 😀

I did my postgrad there. Some of the pubs are ok,(blackfriars) errrrrr and it has good transport links with the rest of Europe?

TheFlyingOx

It’s overpriced due to the oil money.
    Town centre seems to be pretty busy every night due to the oil workers.
    Some of the oil workers are discracefully-behaved chauvinistic, racist, ignorant bell-ends, who after 2 weeks booze-free want nothing more than to get as pished as is humanly possible, all of which can make the town centre a not very nice place to be on occasion.
    It will be significantly colder than Milton Keynes.
    There are nice bits round and about – I very much like Banchory, which is commutable if you actually work in Aberdeen.
    Commuting is horrendous most days, due to the lack of a ring-road. If you know your short-cuts, it can be better.
    Petrol is slightly cheaper than a lot of places in the UK.
    It’s close to some tremendous wilderness, for biking, skiing, snowboarding, surfing, etc.

All based on my previous 5 years of trying to spend as little time in Aberdeen as possible.

stabilizers

Pete, You just cant please some folk.
    Things have moved on since the Big man was here. It aint perfect but…
    Been here 20 years. Moved up from my home town of Edinburgh but I am not going back cos I like it here better. I still rate Edinburgh as the No2 place to live 😉

McHamish
    Free Member

I was born there so in my book that’s a plus. However I moved away when I was 4 so in the past 30 years it’s had something to live up to. I’m not moving back so it isn’t likely to improve.

I seem to recall that it was cold and my brother got free milk at school, however in England they didn’t give out milk so by the time I left nursery and went to school I didn’t get any. I’ve always thought that was unfair.

Plus Margaret from nursery confiscated my huge paper aeroplane that my Dad made for me which I took to nursery. She put it on a high shelf and didn’t give it back before I left.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

just moved to aberdeen myself.

In summary
    1. if you like a good night out, with good clubs and music, loads of good places to eat etc your wasting your time.
    2. If you spend more time in the country walking/riding/snowstuff its pretty good.
    3. its expensive
    4. the most unpleasent people I have come across, in the month or so I have been here is your typical southern type ( I inderstand most places are south of aberdeen, but you know what I mean) who think that they are a cut above.

just my 2pence worth

benz
    Free Member

I’m not going to defend it 100% as it is not 100% perfect in all respects I would like. However, in comparison to many places in the UK I would suggest that it is not a bad place to live.

Always makes me chuckle when I watch some of the reality cop type shows on the telly – would definately not want to visit anywhere in the NW of England, Lincolnshire, etc, etc.

Flying Ox – appreciate usage of the word ‘some’….just as ‘some’ English football fans will riot if their team does not win, same as ‘some’ folks with a certain view on religion will seek out other religions to wreak damage, same as ‘some’ who live on council estates will be thieving chavs.

I’m sure we have all had negative experiences in many locations around the world, but does that make them bad places and their residents terrible – probably not.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A snapshot review based on your experience 10years ago.

based on several years of living there and several years of working there whilst living elsewhere.

Still, you managed to read some of my post, so well done you.

rudi

1 – true
    2 – true, but true of most of scotland north of the central belt
    3 – very true
    4 – mmmmm not so sure. the people I got on best with were non-natives, natives were the ones which the hugest of chips on their shoulders. Even outside Aberdeen (Bervie and Stoney), it was non Aberdonians that I got on with. Although Bervie could get a bit weird after dark.

mcHamish – everyone got free milk – they just knew you were from Aberdeen so were picking on you

scottishbadger
    Free Member

I was a student there for 8 years. No complaints, but was pleased to leave – not sure I’d want to have stayed any longer.

Places like Banchory, Ballater etc are all very nice – used to escape to the Cairngorms with the MTB at weekends. Very close to half-decent skiing as well.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Sounds interesting, are there any nice women around then?

user-removed
    Free Member

Well I grew up there (11-28) and am very glad I did. BBSB talks about chips but to me it sounds like he must have one sooo-ore shoulder… You do sound a bit bitter TBH.

It does lack culture, compared to the likes of Edinburgh – there’s a stuffy gallery which does occasionally get the odd interesting exhibition going and a few arts centres but nothing of any interest really. The main theatre reckons it’s doing well if it gets ‘Blood Brothers’ to come.

On the plus side though, it is a good night out if you go to the right places with the right people. There’s also a thriving live music scene and I have to disagree and say that there are now a few really good eateries. Also, even as a kid, you could be out on your bike and within 10 minutes you’re into some glorious countryside. If you have a car, you’re spoilt for choice.

Kit
    Free Member

are there any nice women around then?

In my experience of 3 months up there, yes. I think they’re mostly employed as dolled up PA’s to the oil barons, but there’s loads around 🙂

stanfree
    Free Member

I was born In Aberdeen but grew up In Elgin . i used to go there to watch the Dons , go to gigs, shopping or to clubs / raves etc. I have to say I found the people quite strange and maybe a bit aloof to outsiders . Its going to be expensive due to the oil but you have some great scenery to ride around In.

If you dont believe me ask TELLY.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Bruneep YGM

Kit YGM

ChrisL

I grew up near Aberdeen (Westhill) and moved to Edinburgh for university then adulthood. I still go back fairly regularly to visit my parents and friends.

The granite means it’s quite a nice looking city when it’s bright but it is horrendously, uniformly grey when it’s dank. On the other hand, while it’s a cold place it isn’t that wet compared to anything on the west coast.

I like the fact that the city isn’t big and when you get to its edge it just stops. There are no great tracts of sprawl like you’ll find in many southern cities – the countryside is just there. The countryside is nice, too and if you like castles or stone circles then you’ll be in heaven. 🙂

I’m not enough of a party animal to be able to comment about the quality of the pubs and clubs but when I’ve visited friends recently we’ve generally managed to find decent places to eat. I’ve never experienced any trouble in the city centre either but then as I said I’m a well-behaved type.

plumber
    Free Member

Had a quick meeting up there a couple of weeks ago – not something I’d want to do again but unfortunatly I have too

the coast road seemed nice though 🙂

JoeBones
    Free Member

How long from Aberdeen to Glentress? or Golspie? or The Black Isle?

the_lecht_rocks

i live 10 miles west of aberdeen. brilliant mountain biking within half an hours ride or 8 minutes drive from my house.

and after work, you hardly ever see a soul………[private joke, sort of]….

the_lecht_rocks

3 hours to GT
    3 hours to Golspie

Kit
    Free Member

Bennachie is just as fun as Golspie and only 40mins or thereabouts from Aberdeen 🙂

JoeBones
    Free Member

I knew you were up that way Simon, rode with you at GT winter 2007

stabilizers

+1 for Bennachie. I am sitting here looking at it right now.
    Where’s ma bike?

the_lecht_rocks

joebones – are you referring to me ?

Woody
    Free Member

As a native Aberdonian I find it quite sad the way things have gone up there and when I go back to visit my folks I wouldn’t dream of going into the city at night.

Still lots of good people, particularly in the outlying villages but there is a mindset of flaunting wealth and brashness which seems to have engulfed traditional values. It appears that you are no-one unless you have the full compliment of trophy wife, house from Dallas (the old tv series), a gold Rolex and the obligitory huge 4×4 with a personal reg.

I found it quite upsetting that those described above seem to have taken over my old golf club and turned it into a haven for arrogant turds to flaunt how much money they have.

That said, there are still lovely places to live and visit, particularly up Deeside towards Banchory, Aboyne and Ballater and loads of places 20 minutes out of Aberdeen centre if you want proper outdoorsey type stuff.

JoeBones
    Free Member

the lecht rocks, yes

JoeBones
    Free Member

Any other opinions on Aberdeen then?

JoeBones
    Free Member

Can someone tell me what is the best part to live in (for rent)? Dont want to have chavs or neighbours etc but dont have a load of money to spend

Woody
    Free Member

You’ll have to go a few miles out if you don’t want any neighbours 🙂

JoeBones
    Free Member

Can someone tell me what is the best part to live in (for rent)? Dont want to have chavs or neighbours etc but dont have a load of money to spend

bruneep

A bit more info required.

What kind of place and size are you after?

House
    Flat
    Caravan
    Cardboard box
    In the city centre, suburbs or are you willing to commute?
    Where are you to be working?

and
    Budget?

RustyMac

How do you plan on getting round the city too? car, bike public transport?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Aberdeen?’ is closed to new replies.