Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • A van but no Plan….Highlands help please!
  • sassy
    Free Member

Planning on a jolly up to the Highlands around the 8th August. I’m aiming to get as far as Golspie at some point but apart from that i have no plan. Anyone fancy a bit of guiding or joining me at a trail center let me know 🙄

bri-72

Not around then but go to Bonar bridge do balblair trails too. A trip over to west coast to torridon well worth the drive. Will find info on routes if you search on here.

sassy
    Free Member

Cheers..Thanks for the info I need to get the map out and see whats possible in the time of got …but Balblair looks well worth a visit

mactheknife

sassy, u will be passing some of the best riding imaginable on route to a trail centre. While on route try Ben Lomond, Dumyat, Aviemore etc etc. The list is long and the riding truly amazing.

sassy
    Free Member

Erk…but I’ve only got 10days!

druidh
    Free Member

This will never do.

The whole idea of building the 7 Stanes centres in the Borders was to distract the English and Welsh on the way up so they’d not go any further!!

Oh look – shiney, shiney!!

jockthestore
    Free Member

Torridon, can’t forget to go there…

sassy
    Free Member

Ah ha…well you better hid your sporran laddy as we’re about invade.

I’d love to attempt some of the natural stuff but i’m going to be on my own for part and don’t fancy hitting the wildness on my lonesome are there any groups/clubs etc up there that I could tag along on some rides with?

nbt

> Highlands around the 8th August

take midge repellent. Lots and lots and lots of midge repellent

sassy
    Free Member

Bulk buying at this very minute

sassy
    Free Member

Bulk buying at this very minute

mactheknife

A lot of the riding is not in the wilderness, Aviemore you could spend weeks exploring and not be too far from town. Dumyat is a short blast on the outskirts of stirling but an amazing descent. worth a visit if passing through.

Oh yea midges. I nearly jumped into loch lomond last night to escape them. Never ever seen so many.

If u want some directions or ideas drop me an email buddy 🙂

sassy
    Free Member

Cheers mac…will do that

sassy
    Free Member

Mac can i have your e-mail

I have a rough plan…it may change according to weather ect
    If anyone know any good places (scenic) to park up and sleep over night/ pubs to visit ect please let me know.. i intend to sleep in the van i don’t normal do campsite but may need a b&b at the half way point (Torridon)

Sat 4th Mabie

Sun 5th Dalbettie

Tues 7 Ben Lomond…i can’t find a route map for this is it straight up and down and anyone know the best place to park up

Wed 8 Fort William

Thurs 9/10 Torridon

Sat 11 Gospie

Sun 12 Balblair

13 Aviemore or Dumyat not sure which

14 Wolftax

15/17 Glentress then down to Diva Decent Hamsterley 😉

If anyone fancies meeting me for any of the rides ..i prob class myself as an average rider have no probs with reds

hairyscary

Do Golspie and Balblair on the same day……and stay at sleeperrrrz near Rogart.

NickScots
    Free Member

Dumyat AM then drive to WHW Bridge of Orchy to Glencoe SKi centre and rtn. Next day, Fort William XC red, then drive to Laggan in the afternoon. Get a Latte and Panini. Then old red, new red, back up and old red again.

Golpsie has chicken shoots on the black bits for a red rider.

sassy
    Free Member

That does look pretty cool…i’ll look into it …cheers 🙂

kennyp
    Free Member

Go to Torridon. Best “natural” riding in the country. Beware the midges though.

mactheknife

sassy, its mac mclaren 4 @ hotmail dot com

tomd
    Free Member

Tues 7 Ben Lomond…i can’t find a route map for this is it straight up and down and anyone know the best place to park up

The car park is large and at the end of the road at a week place called Rowerdenan so you can’t go wrong. Follow the main track up and down, it’s signed from the carpark and there will be loads of walkers.

Edit: fixed quote

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Ditch the Bridge of Orchy bit, (kinda flat an monotonous for the most part) park + stay at Glencoe Mountain (Ski) resort, doing WHW into Kinlochleven and return, with a shot on the new red route off the chairlift the next day, before going on to Fort William.

Or hire me for some guiding if you want some proper local knowledge of what could pretty much turn into a weeks worth of riding in the Glencoe/Kinlochleven/Fort William area…

nick1962
    Free Member

Cambusbarron North third near Stirling is a great route and better than Dumyat – make sure you get someone in the know to show you the other bits around the Uni on the Dumyat route if you do it.You would easily have enough time to do both in summer if you’ve got the legs.Try Trailscotland for someone to show you around.
    Torridon-the Ben Damph loop is unbelievably good 99% rideable and not to be missed. Torridon has a YHA but the whole area is very quiet and not many B&B s that are not already booked up.Camping there is easy though(and free) but stock up at Inverness.Be warned once you get to Wester Ross you may not want to leave.
    Golspie you can park on the seafront for free.
    Devils Staircase,Ciaran Path, Kinlochleven then return is a good all day route.
    Golspie you can park on the seafront for free.
    Ben Lomond-you need decent weather really and to avoid weekends and do it in the evening when there are few walkers.Should only take 2-3 hours so leaves you with the rest of the day.Dont think you can stay “wild”overnight on that side of loch Lomond though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘A van but no Plan….Highlands help please!’ is closed to new replies.