Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • A unique British industry…
  • BenjiM

Coracle maker

maccruiskeen

Unique in Britain or unique to Britain, as in you wouldn’t find anyone doing it anywhere else in the world?

The Beremeal mentioned above is the best example of that so far.

I think there’s only one company left in the UK making steam boilers.

Handmade bicycles doesn’t really count – all bicycles are handmade, they’re just not all handmade by white people.

Theres a whistle manufactures in Brum called Acme (yes really) that makes everything from policemans whistles to the whistles that sank on the titanic. Some friends of mine made the Acme Meteor with them, a 6ft impeller driven whistle designed to be dropped out of a plane from 10,000 ft, piloted by a skydiver and as it decends be the world’s loudest whistle

Back to Orkney and I think there was a guy making compact Cellos that were easier and cheaper for musicians to travel with

I worked with Blast Design last year, not unique in the fact that they work with explosives, but remarkable in the number of different ways in which they work with them.

Not really craft/artisan, but unique in britain rather than to Britain would perhaps be Air Salvage International, worked with them last year too. Bizzarely they’re based in the back corner of garden centre.

We’ve got a TV repairman down in the village, some of the TVs he works on are as old as television pretty much, and his shop window has a better collection than I’ve seen in many museums. His name is Baird too, appropriately.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Whippet fettling?
    Crossbeam-treddle skewing?

maccruiskeen

Actually – the only curling stone factory in the world is just up the road in Mauchline too

BoardinBob

ctually – the only curling stone factory in the world is just up the road in Mauchline too

Aye?

http://www.canadacurlingstone.on.ca/new_stones.php

5lab

cornish pasty making?
    cheddar cheese manufacture?

etc etc

BoardinBob

Arbroath Smokies

maccruiskeen

OK then – the only Curling Stone factory that I know of in the world (or at least knew of). 🙂

BoardinBob

OK then – the only Curling Stone factory that I know of in the world (or at least knew of).

To be fair, if you live near Mauchline you probably still believe the world is flat 😉

thekingisdead
    Free Member

this thread is stupid. British manufacturing is dead. Nothing is made in Britain any more.

😉

BenjiM

cheddar cheese manufacture?

Made all over the world.

Swelper
    Free Member

Fly fishing rod maker

BillMC

Thames lighterman

MartynS

The Morecambe bay Sand pilot.. although I accept that’s hardly an industry

chewkw
    Free Member

Celebrities worshipping?

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

“bell founding? Not many bell founders left in England – run by a master founder”

What about driftline hook bating – run by a master ba………….Ok we’ll leave that one.

BillMC

Dry stone wall builder?

molgrips
    Free Member

My Mum says milkmen. They are unique, aren’t they?

Thatched rooves are available in France apparently.

My Dad reckons cats-eye manufacture and installation.

Oh and my Mum FTW – the mistletoe industry. That’s a job that no-one does anywhere else in the world.

One from me – black cabs? And how about bowler hats? Rounders bats and balls manufacture? UK number plate making? Marmite making?

redthunder
    Free Member

Coal Mining

Steel Manufacturing

The bloke that trooped to the top of Helvellyn every day.

molgrips
    Free Member

My mum reckoned truncheons. I thought of something else too… but I forgot.

London Taxi drivers perhaps? The way they are trained perhaps makes them unique.

molgrips
    Free Member

Gurning!

Travis

We have Milk Men (and women) in China.
    Deliver fresh(ish) milk every morning to your door.

Muke
    Free Member
    konabunny
    Free Member

Kiltmakers is probably be British only, though.

Apart from the Irish and Americans and Canadians and Australian kilt tailors…and every skirt tailor in the world. 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

London Taxi drivers perhaps? The way they are trained perhaps makes them unique.

Good point! I love coming home from a trip and getting in the back of a black cab. Feels like home, feels safe, feels perfect.

sausagefingers
    Free Member

merkin weaver

mogrim

Dry stone wall builder?

Loads of dry stone walls in Spain, somehow doubt they import British builders to help them out.

Apart from the Irish and Americans and Canadians and Australian kilt tailors…and every skirt tailor in the world

Ah, but kilts are, by definition, Scottish. So can only be made in Scotland. Anywhere else they’re skirts.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘A unique British industry…’ is closed to new replies.