Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • A STW bike: let's make it fly
  • bananaworld
    Free Member

Howdy all,

Following on from some ramblings on a thread last night the idea was briefly bandied around that a collective STW bike should/could be put together using the parts we all have and carn't-be-bovvered to sell.

Why would I wanna give my sh!t away? you ask. Well, part of the purpose of this thread is for ideas to be voiced about what we could do with such a bike. As examples, we could give it someone whose (only…) bike has been thieved; put it on eBay/classifieds for charity; send it to the poor kids of Antartica… you get the idea, so let's hear yours.

I work in a workshop and have the time and inclination to do the wrenching, so there's no worries on getting it built (I'll even fit reflectors and a bell!) Shipping to the worthy receiver is similarly no problem.

I reckon this can fly, so let us all know what you think.

Thanks for your time, guys 'n' gals.

Kato

Something like this happened on Bikemagic when someone got their only bike nicked. A whole bike's worth of parts was donated to him and he was up and riding again in no time

robdob
    Free Member

If I can help with any bits I will. Don't have much but I'm up for it.

Don't let it go to Antarctica though, can't stand 'em. 😉

bananaworld
    Free Member

Good on ya, Rob. I too have piles and piles of stuff just waiting to be used. And, like you, I also believe that those smug little penguin basturds don't deserve a bike, so sorry for mentioning Antartica.

The crucial question is… Anyone have a frame they don't need…?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I have a box of bits I was going to send to the Bristol Bike Project if I couldn't shift them on Retrobike, but if you have any better ideas…

http://thebristolbikeproject.blogspot.com/

GaryLake
    Free Member

The Cheesy Riders did it for Children in Need last year. One of our members even got ATB to donate a brand new Marin frame for the project. I think it fetched almost £400 in the end!

MattPhotos
    Free Member

We need a frame to get started, but the forum has been good to me and I have a couple of bits. Probably the most useful is a seat post if its required.

alexpalacefan

Hi there,

I've got a 19" Rockrider. Bad rattle-can spray job and no mech hanger, but it's yours if you want it.

Might be able to rustle up a pair of ropey old wheels too, will check on MOnday,

A

bigsi
    Free Member

I've got a set of spech o/s riser bars i can donate if needed.

I would prefer any bike that was built to go to someone who had their bike nicked and due to circumstances such as unemployment or illness could not afford to replace it.

shredder
    Free Member

Ive got a Specialized strongarm c/set with plenty of life. No BB though square taper req.

Oh and a number of chains

vdubber67
    Free Member

Didn't we all do this a while back for Andrwe from Derby?

Cool plan though…needs co-ordination or something…

fingerbike
    Free Member

Got a pair of disk only wheels here, no tyres… 🙂
    Probably have a square taper bb too…

avdave2

I could offer a 1986 specialized front wheel from a Rockhopper.

What might be interesting would be a virtual build based on the most expensive bits people have got and just sit around doing nothing. I reckon we could start with SFB's Rohloff. There must easily be some superbike in our collective sheds and garages.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Didn't we all do this a while back for Andrwe from Derby?

Yep, last year (to cut a long story short involving computer viruses, lost email addresses, new email addresses, new logins everywhere, recalling lost email address passwords, gah! I have a new login now. I *think* it was andrew_f at the time.)

For those that didn't follow the story or weren't here: I had my bike (456) nicked last year and was in a bad way financially. A good number of forum folk sent me enough bits to get me out and about again and hugely restored me and my family's faith in human nature.

I'm out of the financial hole I was in and up and autonomously biked up. I tried passing the frame (Specialized Hard Rock) and various bits on through the Classifieds a couple of times, for free, natch, but despite some interest no one collected. So it's still in my shed along with some Manitou Minute forks that have V brake bosses (but one knackered disk mount bolt hole) and one or two other bits that haven't been passed on to friends/family.

I was going to Freecycle them at some point over the next couple of weeks but if there's interest I can pass them on to anyone on here in need – just let me know via the email in my profile.

bananaworld
    Free Member

It appears, Heathen, you may have the desirable frame this project is looking for!

I've got lots of spare bits, but the more people involved, the better as the team effort really shines through 🙂

Is anybody/everybody willing to spend a few pennies in 2nd class post to get their bits posted to one location? I can service shonky bearings/rebuild wonky wheels and source new cables so the bike is good as.

Ooh, I'm getting dead excited now!

Thanks everyone who's offered bits so far, I reckon this could actually work.

Keep the ideas coming for where the bike could go.

I would prefer any bike that was built to go to someone who had their bike nicked and due to circumstances such as unemployment or illness could not afford to replace it.

Yeah, I'm inclined that way too, as much as I like the idea of raising money for charity, it seems more personal to 'keep it in the family' as bike that someone on here will actually use (not that I;m wishing misfortune on anyone, but shite happens sometimes).

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

As soon as there's someone to post it to I'll get the frame (and whatever else I find in the shed) posted on. I'd offer myself but I don't drive and I suspect it would probably be best if the person at the central hub does.

Given that the frame was given in kindness to get a cyclist back on two wheels it would be great if it carried on in that vein.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Good on ya, Heathen; now we just need some more offers of bits and ideas for a worthy receiver of the finished beauty!

Also, I've noticed that this thread has been tagged: "beware this guy has only been on the forum 1 week" which made a little bit sad. What a cynical attitude, though a bit justified I guess. I used to have a different username, but forgot both the password and which bleedin' email address I registered with…

But anyway, I've no interest in stealing parts from all you guys in the name of charity: I have just too many bikes already.

Thanks again all!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Also, I've noticed that this thread has been tagged: "beware this guy has only been on the forum 1 week" which made a little bit sad.

That's easily remedied – just let everyone know your old login and/or act as 'project coordinator' and look for an established member to come forward to act as the hub for the bike bits/wrenching central. That way you can still oversee your idea, control the flow of parts and remain above any cynical suspicion.

Maybe find someone in need too so that a clear destination is in place?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Mmm, good plan, Heathen.

Ok, my old login was 'jawj', possibly with something after that (I've been away for a long time).

Okeley dokeley, 'Project Coordinator', well, we'll see how that goes (me, who could not organise a wife swap at swingers' party…)

Any volunteers to do the work?

Also, parts we need initially, as we seem to have the frame already:

Forks
    Wheels
    Brakes
    Mechs
    Bars

I've got a nice chainset that can go on, saddles galore and stems aplenty.

I'll get a proper list of people added to parts organised when I can get a break from work… 🙂

bigsi
    Free Member

I can do the bars for you bananaworld (pleaseure to ride with you yesterday and nice to see another 29er owner btw 😉 )

Dobbo

I have XT rear mech in working order, a stem and some Manitou SX forks but they have a short steerer though. I'll chuck a tube in as well. 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I tried this years back after posting some pics of my frankenbike (MTB frame, drop bars, v-brakes, 700×23 rear 26×2.5 front)

Got a handful of bits, but never enough to build a bike. Put £20 in the air ambulance pot to apeese the karma gods and chucked the bits in my spares box.

Shackleton

I have:

An old cove stiffee frame (c2002, pre RAD, hayes 22mm disc mounts, V-brake bosses). Was still being regularly ridden until March!
    300mm 27.2 EA50 seat post
    c2002 XT crankset + octalink BB

They are, frankly, a bit beyond selling. If anyone can use them in this project let me know. If for your own use and you can pick them up from the Newcastle/Durham area then you are more than welcome to them.

P

ianpinder
    Free Member

i don't mind doing the wrenching, I have a garage and a work stand and all the tools….

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Got a front mech in the garage (or had last time I looked). Nearly new IIRC.

Bregante

got a pair of sram 8 speed shifters?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I dont trust any of these type of threads anymore. No offence to the OP but there has been quite a few high profile 'stings' carried out on here over the last year or so.

Anyone remember the guy who got his rent paid by members cos he was in a predicament or IWH?

I dont want to get flamed but i would want a hell of a history to the OP before even contemplating this (Which i am not)

juan
    Free Member

Heathen oes it mean I can't buy the fork 🙁

steelfan
    Free Member

I can vouch for the OP. I've known him for a good few years now and he one of the most honest, reliable people I know. He's not the type of guy to screw anyone over and has done me a few favors in the past including building me some lovely PRO 2's on 719's for very little reward.
    what else is still needed?
    I could have a rummage through my spares box.

mboy
    Free Member

Met the OP yesterday at Swinley, and well… I know where he works at least should he not turn out to be kosher! But he seems sound, even if he does like bikes with silly sized wheels, rigid forks, and only one gear (shock horror!) 😉

Have a full set of cheap V brakes that are brand new, arms with pads, and levers, which I'd happily contribute. To be honest, they're pretty poor standard, would hardly get the postage covered if I ebayed them… Been hanging around in my parts bin for ages though, and like I say they're new, so at least they're likely to work!

bigsi
    Free Member

mboy – watch it with the silly wheel size talk, i thought we were going to out number you midgit wheelers at one point in the slackers group….. although i do agree with you about the lack of gears issue and rigid forks 😆

Oh and i also think that the OP seems like a decent fellow having spent the day riding round with him yesterday.

MattPhotos
    Free Member

Man, I'm bummed now as this is looking at being better than my bike. Sad times when you could get a better bike for free.
    I guess I could try and get it stolen… hmm…

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Can donate a new 9 speed cassette and chain and an old but perfectly functional XTR bottom bracket

kimbers

fly like this

would be a much more interesting project

steelfan
    Free Member

Or we could just stick a basket and ET on the front!

ianpinder
    Free Member

thelitlesthobo, the op is not going to build the bike, i will, so the op sorts out who sends what parts to me, and i'll build it then we can either sell it or it can be kept as a spare bike for people to use if theirs is nicked.

and no offence, but I don't really need another bike, I have a nicolai, and another one on order, i have a cove handjob, and also an evil doc, after christmas i'm getting a cotic roadrat and i have a 96 spesh rockhopper.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Heathen does it mean I can't buy the fork

Probably – if it's not needed for this project I'd still feel bad selling it and not passing it on to a worthy cause as it came to me FOC. I might swap it for a less expensive part but, as I said, I'd really like it to go to a project like this 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a pair of XT mechs front and rear (04 models) plus some old 8-speed shifters.

colande
    Free Member

DoctorRad – Member
    I have a box of bits I was going to send to the Bristol Bike Project if I couldn't shift them on Retrobike, but if you have any better ideas…

http://thebristolbikeproject.blogspot.com/

thanks for the link DoctorRad its very much appreciated!
    our new-ish website is http://www.thebristolbikeproject.org

cheers

PeteWhoClimbs
    Free Member

I have a pair of panaracer XC Pros in size 2.1 (only used half a dozen times) that I would be willing to donate.

Never got on with the tyres, even tried giving them to a mate and he hated them as much as me ❗ Been meaning to put them in the classifieds but never got round to it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘A STW bike: let's make it fly’ is closed to new replies.