Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A simple ghetto tubeless question, sorry
  • finnegan
    Free Member

So, finally got fed up enough of thorn punctures to make a start on the the whole tubeless thing.

I understand the bmx-tube ghetto method, I've got my 20" Schwalbe tubes with removable valve cores, I've got my wheel milk, JRA double sided tape to build up my wheels if I can't get a seal right away, a track pump and some optimism and a friend with a compressor if that doesn't work out, so all ready to go. Then I had a nagging doubt I can't get rid of.

Why not just put the wheel milk into the 26" Schwalbe tubes that currently hold up my tyres?

So, can anyone explain why tyres+sealant is more puncture-forgiving than tyres+tubes+the same sealant would be? What's the advantage of scrapping my 26" tubes to replace them with half 20" tubes and the worry of getting that rim/tyre seal?

Thanks in advance,

Padowan
    Free Member

Rotating weight.

finnegan
    Free Member

Sure, there'll be a very small weight difference, (26" tube) vs (2/3 of a 20" tube + extra rim tape), but that can't be the only reason for going tubeless, surely?!?

wwaswas

no pinch flats.

Jenga
    Free Member

The inside of a tube is full of talcum powder, so the wheel milk may just ball up and not work as it should.

uplink
    Free Member

Lower pressures

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A friend did this. It worked fine until he got a pinch flat – the latex can't generally seal holes that large. It was a right mess changing the tube on the trail.

finnegan
    Free Member

Ah, yes, thank you, those are more compelling reasons, although I've never had a pinch flat (touch wood). Maybe worth persevering, then…

VanHalen

the more i think about tubless the more of a ballache it seems.

but then i ride down south, i imagine in wales its a must.

i run the front tubless and its been 100% reliable. i tried the rear tubless and ruined the tyre first ride when the tyre burped. since fitting a tube i`ve had no problems.

if you have limited tinkering time the tube is the only way forward i recon.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I may have just been lucky, but it worked very easily for me. The front loses pressure over time, but a little more sealant should fix that. For me the real bonus is being able to run a softer rear tyre on my hardtail without worrying about pinch flats. More comfort and better grip.

When the time comes for new tyres on my DH bike it bill be 'ghettoed' too.

scruff
    Free Member

You have a good point re innertubes. Ignoring rotating weight (I dont really care) and the UST vs Ghetto debate, it is a smoother ride with slightly improved grip even with 'normal' pressures. I went UST & sealant due to endless thorn punctures and in 2 years I've had 2 destroyed tyres (totally normal)and 1 hole which wouldnt seal straight away due to well below freezing temps.

Pulled out loads of thorns and the holes just sealup, or the throrn stays in a you dont notice (this may happen with an innertube but as some point it will come out). I often ride over thorns on purpose now, just to feel smug.

wwaswas

careful scruff you may meet 'Super Thorn'

scruff
    Free Member

Mint Sauce is a Gayer.

Foundry
    Free Member

I have just tried putting the sealant in the tube as I was thinking the same, it didn't work. I really can not be fussed with this tubless thing so have just ordered latex tubes. Years ago when I was young and thought that I was fast and if I changed a bolt for and Ali one then it made faster I use to run latex tubes. I never use to get punctures then so I am going to try them again. best of luck

Padowan
    Free Member

careful scruff you may meet 'Super Thorn'

I particularly like the use of the word "cokbobbins" in that cartoon – I think I may have to start adopring that as a curse!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A simple ghetto tubeless question, sorry’ is closed to new replies.