Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A potentially expensive ride averted
  • Crell
    Free Member

I went out for a ride last night and managed to get a large root that had been cut jammed in the mech. It all happened so quick I didn't have time to stop but this was the aftermath

I think I got off pretty lightly, and it's the first hanger I've totalled in over 20 years on a mountain bike. Whyte hangers seem to do the job they were designed for…phew!

Onzadog
    Free Member

any chance you could throw the offending root a little further from the trail please? 😆

Crell
    Free Member

😆 Funnily enought I did when I switched the cam off as I had an overwhelming feeling of social responsibility. I did a few ninja moves on it though to vent my anger before it was last seen disappearing in to a hedge.

I took the mech off and stuck the cable in the stay protector. If I could have been bothered to split the chain which rings should I have set it up on – small (dual chainset) front and middle of the casette at the back?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alpin
    Free Member

middle ring, mid sprocket. find a gear that'll get you home without having to push up the hills.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh been there done that! can confirm that the Orange replaceable dropouts also do the job 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

So does the one on the Pace 305 although a bit too easily.

Does anyone else find that single speeding a bike in a situation like that seems far more difficult now cassettes are more profiled? The chain always seems to want to climb the cassette.

Crell
    Free Member

So would there be any reason not to run two split links on a chain? I was thinking about this when walking over the hill 🙂 One as normal, but the other set so you remove the right number of links if you ever need to go SS? Anyone doing or tried this?

dmiller
    Free Member

My commuting chain has had three links in it before due to snapage… It was a kmc chain on some chain rings well past the time they should have been replaced… Worked fine. Although it seems a bit off a faff to be ready for a broken hanger. I go through more chains than hangers…

njee20
    Free Member

Don't be surprised if you mech's twisted though!

stumpyjon

Yep, mine was on my Stumpjumper, some antisocial heather did for me. Mech hanger sheared, needed a vice to get it off the mech, mech had warped and one of the KCNC jockey wheels had bent. I was right p*ssed off because I had a spare hanger and tools with me but couldn't fix it 👿

New XTR mech, jockey wheels and hanger, over £ 100.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A potentially expensive ride averted’ is closed to new replies.