Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • A nice story.
  • donsimon
    Free Member
    scaredypants

yeh, good effort !

(when it was 1st announced on the radio, they said that another (younger) kid had achieved the same thing an hour after he got to the top of everest but no mention of that since)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m shedding an emotional tear here. It’s been a hell of a journey for him though, I’m sure.

donsimon
    Free Member

So you are human after all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I missed the signup for global mountaineering challenges day when I was at school. Silly me.

Achievement my arse.. 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You miserable twunts.

donsimon
    Free Member

Achievement my arse..

Achievement isn’t a verb so I guess school time was wasted anyway. 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think it’s fantastic that a kid, starting from a seriously disadvantaged area like Surbiton, could rise up to complete this challenge. The more I think about it, the more emotional I get. His folks must have sacrificed a lot for this.

Achievement my arse…

In the context, there’s nothing wrong with Molly’s usage in this case.

molgrips
    Free Member

I get miserable when some kid gets celebrated for having done something as if it’s been a real struggle against adversity, rather than just a jolly that was only possible cos they’ve got the opportunity.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, then step away from your expensive computers and put your hair shirts on then.

Can’t have you being lucky enough to use a computer now can we?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, then step away from your expensive computers and put your hair shirts on then.

Can’t have you being lucky enough to use a computer now can we?

You miserable twunt.

allthepies
    Free Member

get miserable when some kid gets celebrated for having done something as if it’s been a real struggle against adversity, rather than just a jolly that was only possible cos they’ve got the opportunity.

Yup, ‘cos climbing Everest is a bit of a jolly isn’t it.

🙄

psychle
    Free Member

takes a **** load of money though, mum & dad must be loaded eh? good on him though… no doubt he’ll be an annoying precocious twunt in later life 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yup, ‘cos climbing Everest is a bit of a jolly isn’t it.

Given favourable weather conditions, the right equipment and a guide paid for by Mama and Papa, it’s just a long drawn out walk.

donsimon
    Free Member

takes a **** load of money though, mum & dad must be loaded eh? good on him though… no doubt he’ll be an annoying, precocious, wealthy twunt in later life

Maybe so, but doing all that before your 17th.
    Miserable twunts.

allthepies
    Free Member

Given favourable weather conditions, the right equipment and a guide paid for by Mama and Papa, it’s just a long drawn out walk.

Of course it is. Why I’m surprised it took so long to climb initially and how so many people have died attempting it. Perhaps they should stop the numpties in their reeboks and shorts starting the climb eh.

donsimon
    Free Member

dd in jealous of younger, fitter, healthier buck shocker…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jealousy all over, Don.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It no huge achievement to get up there if you have paid enough. basically you will be hauled up on the end of a rope. How much did all that cost? I be a lot more impressed by doing solo unsupported stuff.

Read into thin air

donsimon
    Free Member

It no huge achievement to get up there if you have paid enough. basically you will be hauled up on the end of a rope. How much did all that cost? I be a lot more impressed by doing solo unsupported stuff.

What are you talking about? Everest? Talking from experience again?

allthepies
    Free Member

basically you will be hauled up on the end of a rope.

Even if you succumb to a cerebral or pulmonary edema given that you’re at an altitude which the human body struggles to cope with ?

donsimon
    Free Member

TJ talking bollox again. 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You need to read “into thin air” You will never view Everest and commercial trips up in in the same light.

If you can cope with the altitude and get a window in the weather you will be taken to the top.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ and his leftie chums climbed Everest in their sandals with only their state benefits to fund them. A far greater achievement.

donsimon
    Free Member

Or perhaps speak directly to people who’ve done it, or perhaps speak to the dude who was the first to climb Mt McKinley (Czech dude) or perhaps not listen to people who live their lives vicariously.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Read the book. Then you might understand.

allthepies
    Free Member

Read the book.

Is that the closest you’ve got to attempting Everest ? Or have you (shock horror) climbed a Munro and therefore know chapter and verse on high altitude mountaineering ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Read it
    You’re still a bunch of sanctimonious throbbers.

donsimon
    Free Member

Why? How did this help the wee boy on the other six peaks and what will it give me from real people who’ve climbed real mountains? Or am I a liar?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you want to understand why I don’t view it as an amazing achievement for the boy and why I have distaste for the commercial expeditions who take people with very little experience up Everest you need to read that book.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ. I’ve read it. You’re still a sanctimonious throbber.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the highest I have been is around 16 000 ft IIRC. leading a group.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How/much did you spend then? Clearly you’re rich enough for this. Lucky you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pennies. Took a route from a map and climbed it. No guides. Only a trekking route in south america. Nothing difficult bar the height.

allthepies
    Free Member

Nothing difficult bar the height.

Which was ? How long were you in the “death zone” i.e. > 8000m

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh, you are so much more worthy than the kid in the Op’s comment….

I salute you, comrade…….

Twunt.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A whilst you are giving me a kicking note that others felt the same way.

get over yourselves. How you can think it amazing after reading that book CFH is beyond me.

Other peoples lives were put in danger so he could do it.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you want to understand why I don’t view it as an amazing achievement for the boy and why I have distaste for the commercial expeditions who take people with very little experience up Everest you need to read that book.

Or perhaps i could speak directly to people who have climbed Everest, my stepfather. Or people who’ve scaled Mt McKinley the first time on the Slovak Route, or perhaps you’re beteer and more knowledgable than these people. Or people who’ve scaled numerous peaks in the Poprads, or people who’ve worked for the Czech mountain rescue. But why bother? Tj’s read a book and had no real experience.
    TJ your view may be valid for Everest, but the other peaks?
    Are you really that jealous?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

While the chap in the first post should be congratulated for his personal efforts. This young man Did it with more style and to the casual observer appears to be a little less for personal gain.

I still feel that these “youngest” records are a bit wrong when it comes to potentially high risk activities and obvious backing from pushy (and rich) parents. When does it become “too” young to attempt a trip up everest?!

😕

geoffj

If you can cope with the altitude and get a window in the weather you will be taken to the top.

Yeah, and if it all goes pear shaped, you end up like Beck Wethers or one of the ones who didn’t come back. Did you read the same Into Thin Air as me TJ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘A nice story.’ is closed to new replies.