Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • A grand day out costs…..
  • penguinni

…about a tenner? Or does it?

I usually get out on the bike for about 4 hours at a time and I reckon it costs me a tenner each time.

Lucozade Sport x 2 = £2.50
    Pre- ride coffee and optional bacon roll = £3.50
    Mid ride coffee = £1.50
    Snacks = £1.00
    Pint at end (optional) 3.50

Its a tenner well spent though.

I know it can be done for free but what does everyone else spend on a local day out?

organic355
    Free Member

I think you need to work on your maths

nickf
    Free Member

Anyway, you need to fly to the moon and back. And get some crackers in. So probably a bit more than an Ayrton.

creamegg
    Free Member

A grand day out costs…

more than you think! 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

I usually take a flask of coffee with me, then I’ll just take some fruit and maybe some peanuts with me, so a few quid.

cynic-al
    Free Member

water, energy bars, sannie, £2?

bobbyg81
    Free Member

£12 i reckon. 🙂

But seriously. I fill a water bottle and get a Double Decker from the shop. Sometimes have a post ride pint if Ive got time. £3.50 more than covers it.

rocketman
    Free Member

As a total tight-arse, if it costs me it’s a bad day out 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

A couple of bars from the cupboard at home and maybe a banana, say 50p all in. Water from the tap. Maybe a hot chocolate (about £1.70) at the end from the coffee shop, but only rarely.

Pre ride coffee? Mid ride coffee? Post ride pint? Don’t know how you guys find the time to do anything else in your day 😀

binners

Lucozade Sport x 2 = £2.50
    Pre- ride coffee and optional bacon roll = £3.50
    Mid ride coffee pint = £1.50 £3.50
    Snacks = £1.00
    Pint at end (optional) £3.50

FTFY

nealy
    Free Member

I spend very little on food and drink as water comes out of taps and I nick the kids lunch snacks. It’s petrol and parking that really make a dent in my wallet.

weeksy

£40… to take the wife out for a meal the day after.

Or if it’s a motorbike trackday…. £400.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’d love to know where to get a £3.50 pint.

my local is £5.10 lager, £4.50 Guinness.

GrahamS

my local is £2.50 real ale. 😀

binners

The North 😀

trb
    Free Member

my local is £5.10 lager, £4.50 Guinness

You need a new local, mines £2.90 a pint + £10 to fill a 4 pint flagon of micro brew to take home, slurp.

back in the old days pre wife & kids, I once worked out the true cost of a ride and found my bikes were costing me about £1 a mile in bits

thomthumb
    Free Member

The North

oh! 😕

nbt

£2.70 in my local, it’s only £3.50 in the “posh” pub down in Marple Bridge

wwaswas

found my bikes were costing me about £1 a mile in bits

yes, the OP does seem to assume that the bike costs nothing.

The £/mile calculation is not one I’m prepared to do, frankly, I think I’d scare myself.

br
    Free Member

Henley?

Well I’m deepest SE and pay nowhere near that – and real men drink bitter 😉

Not wife-beater nor old-lady stout.

binners

I’m with wwaswas on this one. There’s no way I’m going into the maths of my bike ownership. I may have to discuss the issue further later, as a big package has just arrived from CRC. I know this as my beloved, who’s at home today, has just let me know. Hmmmmmmmmmm

And thomthumb, you need to think more….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

back in the old days pre wife & kids, I once worked out the true cost of a ride and found my bikes were costing me about £1 a mile in bits

This.

Although My pitch probably costs vastly more as it was bought new, suffers terminal upgradeitis and proabably 25% it’s miles so far have been on uplifts!

My Swift (and preceeding singlespeeds) on the other hand probably costs almost nothing, I’ve only bought them 2 new tyres in several years, and breakages are replace from the spares bin. They were all s/h so the cost is negligable as if/when they get sold you probably only lose 10-20% by buying complete bikes, using them, then selling on the big ticket items and binning the drivetrain/consumables.

I rarely count petrol as I have to drive a lot anyway so most rides start from wherever I’m calling home that weekend, once I settle back down in Wokingham it’ll add up more.

penguinni

Oh I know the bike isnt free ( despite the killer deal on my Heckler) and Im excluding all the clothing, bling and maintenance costs. And of course Im not including lights ( DX man, me)

And I was referring to local rides ( KT costs me about £150 a trip)

It just occurred to me that there is never much left of the £20 I take for “emergencies” when I get home and this weeks riding will cost me £20-£30

I reckon its still money well spent. 🙂

lunge

Water and a spoon of energy drink – £15p I guess
    An Aldi cereal bar – 20p
    Err, that’s it I think.

Unless we’re taking into account the cost of the bike and parts then we enter a whole new world.

Pyro
    banks
    Free Member

Nbt – Midland is one of the cheapest, seen the prices in the hatters!

ciderinsport
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

Every where I go!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

£3.50+ a pint around hereBinners – youa re worse than me – I run on ten miles a pint.

cost of a day out – a few penies on apple juice, a bag of jelly babies.

glenh
    Free Member

wtf?

£2.10 a pint here, for quality real ales (although sadly it has gone up quite a bit in the last year or so, was £1.70 a pint not long ago).

mefty
    Free Member

£1,000?

meehaja
    Free Member

£5.10 for lager? Bloody hell, yiu can get smack cheaper than that!

nbt

Nbt – Midland is one of the cheapest, seen the prices in the hatters!

Not been “proper” out for ages, not been to the midland for about 12 months – was £3.50 there and at the Romper last time I went to either. Bet it’s three years since I went into the Hatters! £2.70 in the Ringers and the Railway though

Squidlord
    Free Member

What Binners said. Anything else is a waste of money. I usually ride mince for free.

banks
    Free Member

Tend to stick to the railway or ringers too! Bike friendly compared to Hunter/Barbour friendly

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Or you could do what I once did:
    Slip getting out the door of the van due to gripless road shoes, twatting my shin on the sill in the process.

I KNEW it was going to REALLY hurt, so I hopped on the bike and cranked it out of the Ben Lawers carpark and over the hill to Glen Lyon to burn off the pain. As I arrived in Kenmore, I realised that I’d left my wallet and snacks in the van. I continued along the south shore of Loch Tay to Killin. As I left Killin I was approaching ‘full bonk’ with the climb up to the carpark still to come. I was determined to make the climb without stopping and I made it just back to the van.

Entering the van I found my wife had taken my snacks with her for a nibble on the hill. My wallet was there, but as our First Nations friends point out, YOU CANNOT EAT MONEY.

Amateur mistake.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i live in north london and go out all round town. there are literally hundreds of places you can get a pint for well under £4. 😕

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘A grand day out costs…..’ is closed to new replies.