Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • A full service
  • daleftw
    Free Member

How much should I be looking at paying?

JAG

on what? car? motorbike? mountainn bike? etc…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

$5

love you long time

daleftw
    Free Member

Mountainbike 😆

I did put it in the Bike forum tbf 😉

micky
    Free Member

Including suspension? Do you have a full susser?

porter_jamie

Question. Does/should a full service include fork lowers service and shock aircan service? It should imo, because if they are not done it is potentially a huge sum to fix.

What exactly do they do on a full service out of interest?

Edit,
    Micky beat me to it.

daleftw
    Free Member

Just a hardtail. Been quoted £100 from the LBS, which seems expensive to me, but I don’t know the going rate.

Carpediem
    Free Member

I asked my LBS ( who I trust 100% ) what would I need to be done? They asked about my riding style, how often I rode, and where.

They just told me to bring it in every now and again, and They’ll give it the once over and advise what needs looking at.

Pointless servicing something like the fork, when it’s working perfectly ect ect.

If your riding hard a few times a week,different story I’d say.

njee20
    Free Member

Have you asked what they do for that?

If they’re changing cables, popping the wheels through the jig, checking the pads and doing a bolt check, and have told you it will take 15 minutes it’s a lot.

If they’re stripping your bike down, bleeding your brakes, servicing your hubs, replacing all pivot bearings, doing your fork and shock and it includes parts, then it’s a bargain.

Imagining it’s somewhere in the middle of those two it sounds about right. You could buy all the tools and learn to do it yourself for less than half that.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Pointless servicing something like the fork, when it’s working perfectly ect ect.

If that was the advice of your LBS that you trust 100% then I would stop using them.

Wozza
    Free Member

Have a go yourself in the sun. £26 over budget but you do get to use the book and stand more than once.

£79

£19

£23

£5

Carpediem
    Free Member

Ok, perhaps, I’ll re phrase . . . .

Proper and Regular maintenance is one thing,but a full service just because?

I’ll get mine done twice a year.

~the ‘Fork comment’ was mine, not theirs

I wouldn’t say can you service this just because…I’d want some tangible evidence that something was wrong, or just stick to my 6 month service

daleftw
    Free Member

Wozza – That is what I’m thinking. I asked on here about maintenance books on here over the weekend, so I am tempted.

njee20
    Free Member

Proper and Regular maintenance is one thing,but a full service just because?

I’ll get mine done twice a year.

What you have a full fork service twice a year?

Take them apart and clean them up maybe, but I send mine off for a proper service once a year at the very most!

Carpediem
    Free Member

Njee: Service Twice a year. Not the fork though.

Wozza
    Free Member

Do it yourself mate, I find knowing how it all works really helps in the middle of nowhere while it’s raining sideways. Definitely get the stand, it makes the whole thing miles easier. I got the book as an xmas present, it’s pretty much whats on their website except I don’t have to get oil all over my laptop.

soobalias
    Free Member

at the weekend i did the following for a mate – full suss

replaced rear gear cable, investigate rear hub rumble, check shock pressure, all over check.

greased the front and rear hubs and headset bearings gave everything else the once over, thats bolts, spokes, pedals, tyres, saddle, everything checked/tightened, then produced a list of issues, as below. All in it took me 4hrs

chain stretched >1%, cassette worn, middle ring worn, BB has play, LH fork bush play, fork seals leaking – i then advised on costs of replacement/service and timelines.

4hrs at lbs prices is £100 easy, my mate knocked a chunk off the cost of the head gasket he did for me

soobalias
    Free Member

oh and do it yourself is all very well, but i honestly dont know how long ago i serviced any of my forks

revs < 6mths?
    rebas and 36vans !!!
    the 36vans are getting done soon.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve only ever serviced 3 pairs of forks:

– One got replaced under warranty when I sent them back due to ‘issues’
    – One pair came back worse than before, and never worked as well again
    – One pair had to be done because the uppers were knackered and I wanted to take advantage of the subsidised upgrade being offered

For me the jury’s out on whether it’s a worthwhile process to be honest! 😕

rocketman
    Free Member

Some people are fettlers and some people are cockrotters. The lbs welcome the latter.

AndyP
    Free Member

$5

love you long time
    beaten to it.

AndyP
    Free Member

Oh…and what Wozza said. Except, the night before a race, don’t go for

and

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for DIY. I make a habbit of dissmantling my bikes completely twice a year for maintenance and to get that ‘new bike feeling’. Generaly costs a fiver for 2 gear cables and 4 hours work in the sunshine, do it after a ride, not before, that way if anythings worn you’re not waiting on replacements. DIY £100 would get you hub bearings, chain, cassette, middle ring, headset bearings etc, in a shop it’s probably just labour, they’ll bill bearings, drivetrain etc on top of that.Other than that just replace stuff as it wears or faults appear.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘A full service’ is closed to new replies.