Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • A full British build…
  • daim

Aplologies if this has been asked before.

Is it possible to build a geared MTB out of only British components?

Frame seems simple enough (Orange, on-one, Cotic etc.), Brakes, stem, hubs, headset (Hope), USE bars and seatpost, Middleburn crankset, DMR/burgtec pedals, DMR grips, Halo rims, brooks saddle. So far it would be quite an odd build.

Parts we are stuck on seem mainly drivetrain and suspension related: chain, suspension forks, cassette, mechs, shifters.

So is it possible or what?

tomzo
    Free Member

depends if you want British designed products or actually made in Britain products.

if the latter your frames are slightly more limited (only a few orange models are made in the uk-namely the five)

MrNutt
    Free Member

tyres?

djglover
    Free Member

Pace Forks, middleburn craks and be singlespeed!

vimto
    Free Member

All british? Second hand pace fork and single speed?

Mackem

A Pace fork.

AndyP
    Free Member

Why would you want to?!

daim

Happy with british design and company as manufacture would be a very tall order.
    Good point about tyres. DMR or halo maybe?

daim

Why would i want to? Erm… Pass. Mate of mine is obsessed with buying british hence the question.

Rolls
    Free Member

Well… if he needs some pace forks……
    (shameless plug)

chakaping
    Free Member

Tell him to get a full English breakfast instead, much easier.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Are Pace forks not made in Swizzleland, now?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Frame seems simple enough (Orange, on-one, Cotic etc.),

On Ones and Cotics are made in Taiwan, as are most of the small british brands, and I’ll bet the tubing an Orange is made from isn’t made in the UK either.

I doubt it’s possible to have a truly UK made frame, even a custom like a Curtis….

Happy to be corrected, though.
    🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

sturmey archer gears. woot 3 speed 😐

sometimerider
    Free Member

I’ll bet the tubing an Orange is made from isn’t made in the UK either.

Well, even if the tubing was drawn in the uk, the steel certainly wouldn’t have been mined here. You have to draw a line somewhere.

PACE don’t make forks any longer, but DT swiss use their designs and technology, would that count? Otherwise you would need second hand, as has already been pointed out.

timbur
    Free Member

USE made forks. UK company manufacturing in Petwroth.

ziggy
    Free Member

Orange hard tails are made in the far east anyway. Think this was done in MBUK some years ago and realised it just wasn’t possible. Do X Lite still make stuff here?

MrNutt
    Free Member

not ALL Orange hardtails are made in the far east, I have one that was built in Halifax! (Subzero)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bullocks it was. Your APPOLLO was made in China.

The sticker was put on in Halifax…

MinishMan
    Free Member

On my five they only claim "hand welded in Halifax, England", so not entirely made here, but as close as it gets…

*strokes five*…
    *sighs*…

🙂

matty-B
    Free Member

To continue the Pace theme you could source a nice old RC200, no idea where they sourced the tubeset (squareset? :D) but it ‘could’ have been the UK.

Any attempt I’ve seen for a build always fails on rims and transmission (unless you go SS with a middleburn). If you just wanted stuff that was branded up in the UK, I think most of an On One Inbred is logod up including the rims, saddle etc. Not exactly UK made tho.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘A full British build…’ is closed to new replies.