Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • A Brief History of Time – How far did you get ?
  • PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Over the last few weeks I have been reading small chunks of A Brief History of Time and initially felt that I had a grasp of the subject matter – no pun intended.

Having now tried to understand quarks, antiquarks and flip particles I am really struggling and about to go back a chapter to try again.

So, my question to the assembled intellect of STW is what page / topic did you get to when you realised you had lost the plot ?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I was enthralled by the credits..

Sandwich

I read it all the way through. I need to go back and give it another read.

haddock
    Free Member

I read it all the way through. I need to go back and give it another read.

Me to, I was on an oil tanker when I first read it – you need a long period of isolation for that one.

iamtheresurrection

I've read it all, in stages. But when I pick it up to re-read it, it all seems fresh!

Very little of it seems to have stuck in up there… Clearly, I'm a little bit thick.

dr_death
    Free Member

I'm with the resurrection, read it a number of years ago on my elective (studying abroad – mostly on a carribean beach) had to go back a few pages several times but all seemed to make sense at the time, can now remember practically non of it. May have to take it on holiday and re-read it – thanks for the reminder!

haddock
    Free Member

Just thinking that I may re read aswell.

Singletrack book club looming? It would be a great one to start on. 😕

Flaperon

All the way. But in my defence, I do have a Physics degree and found most of it hard going.

Better, in my opinion, is Brian Greene's "The Fabric of the Cosmos".

GJP
    Free Member

I bought it but didn't get much further than that -really can't remember how far I got but it wasn't very far and I barely understood a f***** word. Compared with Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" I found it a hard read and I am not thick 😆

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I got as far as my kitchen with it – I have a wonky table….

nbt

Unlike the brainy buggers above, I go about a third of the way through, realised I'd re-read so much that I'd have read the book twice, and gave it up as a bad job

nuke

It was a while ago but I don't think I made it all the way: one page forward, two pages back…equivalent of reading a book three times as long. Must have another go at it.

saladdodger
    Free Member

my head fell off at about page 4

anjs
    Free Member

Bit out of date these days thing have moved on inthe world of theroretical physics.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

having failed my a-level physics thanks in part to opting to do the quantum physics module, i decided that i should try reading this in the hope that i may actually understand some of the concepts.
    22 years later, i've still not finished it and i'm not sure i want to!
    what i do want to do is get them to re-mark my physics exam though since hawking has subsequently said that he's probably got it all wrong, meaning there's a good chance i should really have passed…

ampthill

All of of it twice

But again I have that physics degree head start

crazy-legs

Apparently a massive percentage of people who buy that book never even get 1/4 of the way through it, it's known as being one that sits on peoples bookshelves and very few people ever manage to read all of it never mind understand it!

I find the same with a lot of Richard Dawkin's books. Very intelligent guy, great presenter but his writing style leaves a fair bit to be desired (IMHO).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

😳

chvck
    Free Member

Another one here for read the whole way through but also want to re-read it as a lot didn't sink in/was understood!

nickc

I remember reading a review that said more or less. If you think you've grasped the concept, you probably haven't understood it properly…

sarahkeast
    Free Member

Read it ages ago, some of it was heavy/dull/unfathomable [psychology degree, no hard sciences]and some of it was really funny. Sure I had to go back a page here and there, or skip a page even ! but it was good.

More recently listened to it on iPod on long long road trip with geeky friend; listen to a chapter and discuss. That was good.

Wont be long till my kids are listening to it too.

tyger
    Free Member

Should it be classed as fiction?

redthunder
    Free Member

I got to last page and it was missing… so I dont know who it did?

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you want a book that will properly open your eyes to how the world works, read Capital by Marx. If you want a helping hand watch these as you go along:

Reading Capital

TheDoctor
    Free Member

All the way through, it's an enjoyable popular science book that glosses over the harder stuff to make it a nice read, but then I do have a PhD 😀

racefaceec90

got it from the library. read first paragraph. said **** this. took it back to the library. 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

Is reading that like some sort of birth control?

samuri
    Free Member

I didn't find it hugely difficult to be honest. I must be right clever me (although I supposed it's more likely I missed the point entirely). Some of the stuff is fairly abstract I guess. And I suppose reading a number of other popular physics books has made some of the terms familiar.

If you want a popular physics book that'll screw with your head, get the superstrings theory one.

chopperT
    Free Member

It's hard to have faith in science, because science doesn't have faith in itself, or rather, is constantly questioning it's own conclusions. That is why I will never follow the advice of a doctor or scientist, not because I don't respect them and their "knowledge", but because in 5 years time they'll have changed their minds about it all. Which is good,quest for truth and all that, and it's all the opposite to religion where everything is a given and can't be questioned, which I can't stand and means I'll never be religious.
    I only made it halfway through, and now you tell me he's wrong, hey ho. SNAFU.
    It's time to hand the world over to engineers. X=Y+Z. (Full stop) Oh, but we had better use a safety factor of 10 in case we're talking bollocks.

samuri
    Free Member

Well I think you're getting theoretical science and actual science confused there. You just typed a load of stuff and I read it because we're often pretty good at putting theoretical science into practise. It's only a matter of time before we gain the technology to prove/disprove what the wheelchair bound one is saying.

stumpy01

Is this the Bill Bryson book??

I read the paper back on holiday in Turkey & kept regaling the other half with 'interesting anecdotes' by the pool. She found this very entertaining, I think…..

She then bought me the hardback (with pics) copy & I think I have read that twice.
    I do agree that it seems to slip from the mind quite quickly, but it's good to read at the time.

crispy
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it when I read it a couple of times a few years ago, but haven't looked at it (or the subject area) since, and suspect that things have moved on since then.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The act of studying A Brief History of Time alters a Brief History of Time. It is therefore better not to study it. I think…

zarquon
    Free Member

I have a Physics degree so it was fine, whereas Ulysses and Finnegan's wake were completely impenetrable and lasted about 10 pages

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting) again another physics grad who finished and thought it was quite entertaining. Also read loads of popular theoretical physics books when I was at GCSE level (dont profess that I understood them all) so I'd come across the concepts and explanations a few times.

Thread should be retitled "hands up who's a geek?"….

Trimix
    Free Member

Mr MC – are you not allowed your own log on ? Or do you enjoy pretending to be your missus ?

Anyway, enough piss taking, hows your leg now ?

stumpy01

Oh no……my mistake. I was thinking of a Brief History of Nearly Everything……

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

He's probably at home now wearing my clothes 😉

grynch
    Free Member

I got to about the same place both a brief history of time and a brief history of nearly everything

about pg. 37 I think before I fell asleep and the buggers thumped on my chest

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC) trimix like every other aspect of my life, MC has to approve and vet my actions and opinions, be it on the internet or anywhere else.

That and my own log on never worked, and I cant be @rsed to set up a new one. Its easy enough to discriminate; if it contains technical content, profound insight, an extensive vocabulary, or signs of old age its me. If it contains kittens, fluffywuffy bunnykins and hair products its missus MC. Simples.

Knee still fecked…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘A Brief History of Time – How far did you get ?’ is closed to new replies.