Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • A 1×9 aesthetics question
  • KennySenior
    Free Member

When you convert regular 3 chainring cranks to 1×9, does the single ‘middle sized’ chainring have to go on the inside of the crank bolts? It seems to me as though this could look a bit wrong with the outer ring missing. Or is that just too fussy? Maybe I haven’t explained this well.

gee
    Free Member

Hi

Yes – it has to go on the inside of the spider in the middle ring position. It doesn’t look that silly.

GB

househusband

Guess that, whether you need one or not, aesthetics may make a reason for fitting a bash?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Single rings look much better with a bash unless you get a pimp cnc’d ring

KennySenior
    Free Member

Do bash guards and chain guides usually fit ok together? The bash guard doesn’t foul the chain guide? Suppose it depends which one(s).

gee
    Free Member

Don’t bother with a bash guard – just extra weight…

GB

househusband

As Gee says, bash gaurds can add significant weight – you’d really notice all of 50g mounted centrally!

8)

SammyC
    Free Member

Looks fine to me:

Poldarn
    Free Member

I’ve used a dangerboy bash and modified an e13 guide like the one on sammyCs above. I don’t use the roller or the ‘skid’ that’s part of the e13 setup, no need to functionally and was having bearing issues on the roller jockey. Oh and it’s a 1×9 setup. Never lose a chain and offers good protection. Looks? Yeah looks ok and not bothered about the weight, the positives are worth it.

mtbfix

Leaving it in the ‘middle’ position will typically give you a better chain line. If you are using a std middle ring it will probably have the bolt holes counter sunk so the bolt fits better when fitted behind the spider.

andyl
    Free Member

I have a stainless On One SS ring fitted in the middle position on one bike and just gone 2×9 on the other by removing my large ring and the only niggle I have is the recesses in the spider where the large ring goes. I am going to make some carbon fibre fillers to sit in there and save me buying a new set of shorter chainring bolt.

I am not a fan of bash guards. I have an aluminium race face one that looks better than the plastic Shimano ones but I wouldn’t run one in 3×9 and I now have more clearance so should be fine.

alpin
    Free Member

better having a guide to stop the chain falling off than a bash. imo.

KennySenior
    Free Member

The Pauls chain guide is probably the neatest one I’ve seen, certainly the smallest. A lot of them are quite big aren’t they.

bs3eggs
    Free Member

Yeah I have pauls and it works pretty well and is easier to allign with different axle lengths, I want the new hope one though

jimmyjames
    Free Member

It’s been said a number of times, but BBG + N-Stop = Win

boxelder

I just cut and filed teeth off the old big ring when I set up SS. Looks ‘normal’, no cost, acts as guide and bash.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have always used a BBG + N-Stop, I haven’t had a triple for almost 3 years and don’t miss it, currently in the process of converting my Cotic X to 1×9.

rOcKeTdOg

middle

Renthal + N-Stop by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

Poldarn
    Free Member

Is that on a 1×9 rocketdog? Surprised the chain stays on with only one side of the chain being guided.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘A 1×9 aesthetics question’ is closed to new replies.