Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • £850 speeding ticket
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I need to rant

I just got a speeding ticket through that I was more or less expecting after I was flashed by a camera can last weekend ( in Denmark)

Apparently my license is not valid so it’s going to cost me £850

What I can’t understand is that I had a ticket about 18 months ago and at was just £100 (100 in an 80 limit kph) and this one I was doing 103kph. Nobody told me I had to change my license then. Last summer I went to the local authority to renew my license and the photo card was running out and I was told that I should renew my UK license as it was easier. Now it’s costing me big time.

I am absolutely furious

And yes my last post this afternoon was about idave. 😈

KINGTUT
    Free Member

This isn’t going to end well.

geoffj

Still 14 minutes to edit the last line – or you may suffer the wrath of his bitches!

BoardinBob

Didn’t someone get their Ferrari/ Lambo/ Porsche crushed as a punishment for speeding as they were so rich, a fine was nothing to them and the judge ruled destroying their car was the only suitable punishment?

£850 doesn’t seem like too bad a deal for your own incompetence and inability to make sure you’re complying with the law 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Nobody told me I had to change my license then.

Ignorance is not generally accepted as a defence, I don’t think.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

How much would the fine be if someone else was driving like your wife?

Is your wife likely to divorce you and tell the press in a few years time when you’re an MP?

CountZero

Surely a UK photo license is valid Europe-wide, it has an EU flag on it after all, and the OP did say:

Last summer I went to the local authority to renew my license and the photo card was running out and I was told that I should renew my UK license as it was easier.

darrell
    Free Member

you were caught doing 23 km/h over the speed limit

stop your bl00dy whining and learn how to drive better

Dan67
    Free Member

Didn’t someone get their Ferrari/ Lambo/ Porsche crushed as a punishment for speeding as they were so rich, a fine was nothing to them and the judge ruled destroying their car was the only suitable punishment?

I think this was a guy going down to Le Mans got caught doing something north of 200km/h. In the end he saved his Car but was it and out of court an awful lot I think but got the full €1000 fine

flange
    Free Member

I got caught coming back from Le Mans last year. 1000 Euro on the spot fine and a court case which resulted in another 1250 Euro’s. Mind you, I was doing 164mph so I thought I got away lightly.

you were caught doing 23 km/h over the speed limit

14mph over? In a 50? Get over yourself….

jota180
    Free Member

I think this was a guy going down to Le Mans got caught doing something north of 200km/h. In the end he saved his Car but was it and out of court an awful lot I think but got the full €1000 fine

Back in 83 ish, 3 of us on motorbikes got done for 213 kph on the Autoroute just South of Le Havre
    Got taken to the station and put in front of the magistrate and fined 900ff, which was about £100 at the time, easily more than I earned each week.

leffeboy

So what was the problem with your licence? I was under the impression that they were valid europewide as well. Is it possible there was a time limit in which you were meant to have exchanged it for a local one?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rant not fully complete until you pull your pants over your head, squat down, hands placed crIss cross stylee upon your head, blink twice, and proceed to bounce up and down.

There there..

boltonjon

If you live in the UK, ignore it – do they have any jurisdiction in the UK? Csn they lock you up?

I’ve got a spanish speeding ticket from about 2006 which i’ve ignored – it was up to €350 last time i looked

To be fair, i’ve not tried hiring a car in Spain since i was there – i”ll cross that bridge when i get to it!!

poly
    Free Member
    oddjob
    Free Member

The problem is that I live in Denmark and I have done for 7 years. I have been driving on a UK license all that time including a ticket 12 months ago when the police didn’t say anything about it being an non Danish license.

I’ve no problem with paying the £100 speeding fine (well, as little as one can have) what bothers me is that nothing was said by the police before and nothing was said when I tried to get a Danish license last year other than that it would take a long time and I needed a renewal of my photo card in a hurry.

£850 seems pretty steep to me

donsimon
    Free Member

The problem is that I live in Denmark and I have done for 7 years. I have been driving on a UK license all that time including a ticket 12 months ago when the police didn’t say anything about it being an non Danish license.

You appeared on the Police radar 12 months ago, you probably have six months in which to change to a Danish licence, you didn’t and you expect the police to tell you. Ignorance is not a valid defence in the eyes of the law. The 700 increase could well be for not changing the licence…
    Just like the British citizenship test, you really should learn the ways of the Danish if you want to live there. 😉

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

its illegal for us to get a uk renewal driving license when were not living in the uk.

you need to pass, in your case a danish test.

……

i have the same problem at the moment, i live in austria and my license is up for renewal in august. i called the dvla to sort out something and they said, its illegal to apply for a uk driving license whilst not being a uk citizen. They said i would have to complete a austrian driving test and then have a austrian driving license and no longer have a uk license. i think the whole situation is a farce as i’ve already proved i am able to drive to standard in the uk.

donsimon
    Free Member

They said i would have to complete a austrian driving test

There must be a different agreement between UK/Austria and UK/Spain, in Spain I just exchanged the UK licence for a Spanish one. I’m not 100% sure but my observations of Spanish driving make me think that they might also be given out with Corn Flakes too.

footflaps

Piss poor rant, you break the law willingly and then get upset about being punished – 0/10.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t you know that nobody on here drives over the speed limit? Or ever does anything illegal. Ever.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

http://www.kbhkoereskole.dk/english_exchanging.html

Says:

A Danish law, effective 15th. May 2006, requires all non-EU citizens to pass a theory and a practical test in order to exchange your original driving license into a Danish license.

But since as a Brit you’re an EU citizen, it says nothing about you having to change.

nealglover
    Free Member

They said i would have to complete a austrian driving test and then have a austrian driving license and no longer have a uk license.

I lived in Austria for 10 years and never had this problem.

My UK license was fine all that time (renewed once and posted to Austrian Address)

Was stopped a fair few times (ski resort and loads of police about doing spot checks for drunk drivers)
    And they never had an issue.

And they knew I wasn’t a tourist, as I worked in the ski school
    And knew most of the locals very well.

donsimon
    Free Member

And they knew I wasn’t a tourist, as I worked in the ski school

Was it your own car? How did you get on with insurance?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

but did you have the paper or the photocard type??

sailingneil
    Free Member

From memory foreign nationals can drive for a year on their foreign driving licences in the UK, after that you require a UK license. Not ure about EU licences through. Maybe the Danes have a similar law

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

thats not the law in austria, but a austrian friend had to do that in the uk when he went there for work.

oddjob
    Free Member

When we lived in the UK we were told by the insurance company that my wife had to get a british license otherwise we weren’t covered. The insurance company here have my UK license.

There is an EU flag on my license
    I still have a UK address (my parents)
    The local kommune told me to get a UK one as it was complicated for them
    The police issues me a fine last year and said nothing about it.

As I said, the speeding fine is fair enough, I think the rest is over the top.

oddjob
    Free Member

After a bit of research I have found this on the police website:

If you have been ordinarily resident in Denmark and have a driving license is not issued in an EU / EEA country or in the Faroes, you must within 90 days exchange your foreign license for a Danish if you still want to drive a motor vehicle in Denmark

And this on the European Council website

1. Do I have to exchange my old driving licence for a new Community model licence?
    No, the old national driving licences remain valid until the period of validity expires. However, it
    is compulsory to exchange the driving licence before the expiry of the validity period. The
    period of validity is indicated on your driving licence but can also be determined by the
    legislation of the Member State where you live, whatever is shorter. It is also possible to
    exchange it earlier by making a specific request. You will then be issued with a new
    Community model licence with categories corresponding to those which were recorded on the
    old model.

Now I am feeling quietly confident that I can get out of the license part

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This thread is missing something……

oddjob
    Free Member

Sorry if that is a disappointment for any of you after my display of flagrant disregard for the law 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Was it your own car? How did you get on with insurance?

Car was bought locally and insured in Aastria.

but did you have the paper or the photocard type??

Paper at first then upgraded to photo card in 1999 to make ID easier.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

ok, i just read on the dvla site too, which states its against the law, to have a license issued to you when your not living in the address on the card.

might have to just look the other way lol

cchris2lou

I drive with a french license in the uk since 1996 . had a few speeding tickets and I always reply that I cant send my uk license as I dont have one .

choron
    Free Member

Reckon you might be referring to this guy: $1m fine for doing 180mph in an 80mph.

hora
    Free Member

Can Denmark chase you for a debt in the UK legally?

Are you going back to Denmark at any point in the future? Thats when they’d nab you.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Impressive, I dont think I have even ever seen a policeman in DK, not in the west anyway… perhaps I should slow down on those lovely straight roads.

nickf
    Free Member

If it makes you feel any better, I got a £1000 ticket (via a trip to court) some years back, purely for speeding.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Failure to update your photograph carries a £1,000 fine and can be enforced by the police under Section 99 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Dobbo

I am absolutely furious

Is that old skool for **** pissed off to ****?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘£850 speeding ticket’ is closed to new replies.