Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • £800 AM bike for alps?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Trying to convince a friend to come to morzine this summer but his 130mm hardtail gt aggressor is not, what i’d say, up to the job.
    Been looking at bikes that could be a bit more suitable, possible re-sell upon return or be usable in the UK.
    Could get a cheap DH kona or bighit but for going up and along which there will be a lot of its not the best.
    Thinking of marin 140/giant reign/trek remedy style bikes. What other options could I look at?

sambob
    Free Member

Should be able to find a nice Pitch for that much.

superfli
    Free Member

Spesh Enduro/pitch. Can pick up a 2008/9 with 150mm travel for £800 easy.
    Marin Wolf Ridge 140mm or Attack Trail 150mm. Plenty out there for that kind of money.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

A mate bought an old Cannondale Gemeni 2005? to last year. £330 on Ebay I think. He (and the bike) did just fine.

like this one

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Pitch! Of course. That’s a good idea there. Nice cannondale there too.
    Thanks

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunno what the geometry is like but these look good value for just a bit more money new…

Voodoo Canzo from Halfords

Otherwise, in addition to the bikes already mentioned, maybe a Meta 6, Prophet or Patriot?

Rosss
    Free Member

I just sold my top spec pitch fof £1k so you should find a nice one for £800 easy. Something like this would be nice : http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/977537/

Not mine or anyone I know btw

peakprowler
    Free Member

This maybe of interest if he can spend a little more
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2010-lapierre-spicy-complete-bike-999

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I just sold my top spec pitch fof £1k so you should find a nice one for £800 easy. Something like this would be nice : http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/977537/

Not mine or anyone I know btw

I wouldnt buy something like that. It looks like it has the old Fox Talas forks, these were shite. It also looks like it has a dhx air shock, these were shite. Im also pretty sure those frames were prone to cracking on the chainstays.

If your going to the alps, get something reliable. Coil forks and a coil shock at least.

A newer specialized sx would be better, or a 2006/07/08 Orange Patriot or something like that.

meehaja
    Free Member

130mm hardtail will be fine. Maybe pick up an old stinky or big hit and take 2 bikes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That 2005/6 Enduro is a serious amount of bike for the money.

If you want something newer then aside from the aforementioned Pitch, the Marin Wolf Ridge / Attack Trail series from 2008 is an excellent bike and it’s playful handling is guaranteed to make you smile. There’s also the Cannondale Prophet too, I’ve never ridden one but folk seem to rave about them.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Just a thought but there are some stonking deals on the 2011 Spesh Stumpjumper FSR Comp (I’ve seen them for £1200 to £1300) at the moment; he could sell the GT and put a little extra down and then use it as his regular ride when he returns to the UK.

parling
    Free Member

did morzin last year on an old spesh enduro this year im doing it on my ht one one 456 summer season 150mm forks. cant wait.

AndyDuke
    Free Member

I’m selling a 2008 Trek Remedy 7 in medium, great condition if interested. Took it to the alps last summer and it was amazing. Looking for £900 andyduke(at)hotmail.co.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘£800 AM bike for alps?’ is closed to new replies.