Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 71yr old skating menace?
  • bruneep

Was he a menace?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7908376.stm
    and
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7880080.stm

I’d be chuffed if i could still move like that at that age.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

he’s my new hero

dave_aber
    Free Member

If he loses his appeal, we should all send him a fiver each to pay the fine + costs, £2100 in total!

Gets my “new hero” vote too.

Bunnyhop

Most people in the area know him and don’t mind.

He certainly looks good for a man of his age.
    Sir I salute you.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Apparently, he’s had “heated discussions” with his “fellow geriatrics” and told the police “those skater haters should just go home and watch Countdown”

Top bloke, I want to be in his gang

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It looks like fun, but there are no brakes on those things. Also he’s showing off…

Jenga
    Free Member

If he was 17 he’d be a young hooligan.
    As he’s 71 he’s a hero. WTF?

The man’s got a screw loose. That’s not sensible in a shopping precint. Every credit to the guy for having the ability to do that, but he should be in a skate park. He won’t go because the kids will show him up.

postierich
    Free Member

Loved the quote about his fellow geriatrics,seemed perfectly in control and the fine is disproportional for what he has done.

Well done that man.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

seemed perfectly in control

yes, but if someone unexpectedly stepped out of a shop or changed direction he could crash into them at speed 🙁

postierich
    Free Member

yes, but if someone unexpectedly stepped out of a shop or changed direction he could crash into them at speed

Just like mtn bikers hurtling down designated footpaths at speed!

Spesh99
    Free Member

If he was 17 he’d be a young hooligan.
    As he’s 71 he’s a hero. WTF?

Just what I was a about to write.

zaskar
    Free Member

So a 71 yr old rode his bike through a mall?

Don’t care about his age-he could hit someone e.g fragile health.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Just like mtn bikers hurtling down designated footpaths at speed!

except that bikes have brakes, and footpaths have far less opportunity for concealment

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hope he wins his appeal. It’s people like him who make me glad to be British 🙂

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Have the police got nothing better to do? Same old thing really. Throughout the video he did seem to be in complete control and those skates do have brakes by leaning back with your heal. The fine seems overly excessive though.

antigee

bit out of order suppose – if he’d driven a car thru there would have been a fixed penalty? or a white van on essential maintenance? – excessive fine, should have been given a community service order getting fat b’stds out with him – ok with a bit more respect for the frail

splatz
    Free Member

Ah yes……the 4m cctv cameras watching and protecting our fragile lives.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Tandemjeremy?

MrOvershoot

We need more people like him 🙂

My wife who has to use a wheelchair if she goes out said “Its people like him that make me happy as they are making the most of their mobility”

IcarusGreen
    Free Member

I want to be like him in 40 years time, maybe on a Mtb though!

IcarusGreen
    Free Member

and somewhere safer for other people

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, it’s great that he’s mobile etc etc but he can bloody well skate somewhere else. I like to skate but I’ve never done it in a crowded town centre. There are no sensible brakes (that rubber block certainly doesn’t count) and people and especially kids jumping about all over the place.

Oh look I’m old, and I can still skate! Woohoo me! Yeah great, get over yourself and get some common sense.

crazy-legs

That guy is an amateur.
    THIS is roller skating through a town centre!! 😉

alpin
    Free Member

yeah, but he looks like a complete knob. impressive considering he’s french.

zaskar
    Free Member

Does anyone mind if I deck him if he crashes into me or my fragile ill Mother?

Cheers. 😈

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hope he wins his appeal. It’s people like him who make me glad to be British

You are Al Murray, Pub Landlord, and I want a tenner.

(Stands, salutes, whistles ‘Dambuters’ theme)

bigrich

a more suitable forum for you lot can be found at dailymail.com.

honestly, he’s physically fit and mentally acute. i hope to be as good as him when I get old.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Britain won’t get out of bed in the morning soon incase a bird shits on them.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

he’s physically fit and mentally acute

and has to prove it by zooming round and round a pedestrian area ?

bigrich

He could do it by leading massive groups of people on bikes along footpaths.

dave_aber
    Free Member

At least at 71 he won’t have to overcome the biggest problem with taking up rollerblading – telling your parents that you’re gay.

miketually
    Free Member

yes, but if someone unexpectedly stepped out of a shop or changed direction he could crash into them at speed

Does anyone mind if I deck him if he crashes into me or my fragile ill Mother?

and has to prove it by zooming round and round a pedestrian area ?

Good grief, some of you lot sound like the people we had to deal with to get cycling allowed in our pedestrianised town centre!

Stoner
    Free Member

you do wonder whether, if he was 17 rather than 71, he would still have ended up in court and with him being fined £2100…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Ridiculous!!

are people being serious comparing him to a 17yr old?? he’s not flying down staircases or grinding the hand rail is he? how fast is he going – 8mph?

A local skate shop would do well do sponsor him and arrange a proper organised event.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Yes, it’s great that he’s mobile etc etc but he can bloody well skate somewhere else. I like to skate but I’ve never done it in a crowded town centre. There are no sensible brakes (that rubber block certainly doesn’t count) and people and especially kids jumping about all over the place.

I’d expect if he’s that good at skating (he appears pretty good), he’d be able to stop quickly. Skating in London, pretty much everywhere you skate is this crowded, and it’s easy enough to stop, for a lot of people, pretty much the first thing they learn is how to do the various stops.

Joe

miketually
    Free Member

He’s probably less dangerous than someone on a motor throne:

dave_aber
    Free Member

One of them ^ drives up the middle my street every day. It’s a one-way road, and he’s going up it the wrong way, in the middle. The junction at the top is pretty blind, and cars do just sweep round into the street. It’s only a matter of time……..

miketually
    Free Member

One of them ^ drives up the middle my street every day. It’s a one-way road, and he’s going up it the wrong way, in the middle. The junction at the top is pretty blind, and cars do just sweep round into the street. It’s only a matter of time……..

We did a CCTV survey of the pedestrian area in town. Three days of footage showed no irresponsible cycling, but three motor thrones took a blind corner at speed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My bet is he was warned off a few times and refused to stop. If people complain about something like this that is clearly against local bye-laws the cops have to do something. They would do as much as they can to avoid arresting and charging him – but he is obviously one of the awkward school so pushed his luck till he got done..

The fine is £300 – the rest is costs.

Still – I think its great and it made me laugh. I bet he refuses to pay and ends up in jail.

miketually
    Free Member

If people complain about something like this that is clearly against local bye-laws the cops have to do something.

According to the news report, no-one had complained. (Or was that just on the day? Can’t remember and can’t be bothered watching the clip again.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘71yr old skating menace?’ is closed to new replies.