Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 700c Touring rims. Thinking Mavic A719
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought a set of Hope Pro 3 hubs to build some touring wheels around. I'm hoping to do a coast to coast ride across the US. I'll be carrying typical camping gear and trying not to overload weight wise.

I'm thinking of using 28mm tyres. An Open Pro can cope with a 28mm tyre as a max width. A Mavic A719, 28mm is listed as their min width tyre fitting.

I'm interested in hearing folks experiences touring with either.

druidh
    Free Member

I'm currently running A317s on the Sutra without any problem.

Edit: they're disk – only…..

You're other option would be the Open Sport?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have the cheaper A319s and they've been fine. I run them as touring and winter wheels, with Conti 28mm GP4Seasons. If I was doing another big road tour then I'd probably set them up like this. The main thing is the build though, especially with loaded, big miles.

MrBlond
    Free Member

I'm running 700x37s on Open Pros…

I haven't died (yet)

Bazz

I'm running A319 on a commuter bike wth 28mm Vittoria Randouers, and its great for that, had no problems with hitting potholes and the like but if i was loading up for touring i'd go with 35mm tyres for a bit more comfort.

ton

alesa sputnik are far stronger than any mavic offering mate.

druidh
    Free Member

Yeah – I tour on 32mm.

mboy
    Free Member

Mavic TN719

Same width, lighter, disc specific though (may or may not be a good thing depending where you're coming from).

Run them on my 29er, find them to be a superb rim.

Oh, and weight wise, they're bang on 500g… (yes, I weighed mine!)

firestarter
    Free Member

im running 1.8 bonty 29er tyres off road on my cx on open pros so dont think running bigger tyres is a problem 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I've got a Roberts Audax frame and I'm not certain a 32m tyre will fit between the 'stays. Currently using 28mm Vittoria Randonneurs which feel comfy enough.

duncan

I have 32h A719s on Hope Monos on my Kaffenback, with 28c Conti ultra gator duraskins, and have had no problems with them except punctures which arguably might not have happened with sturdier rubber. I wouldn't want to go much lighter on the wheel build for touring. Also I carry the minimum amount of stuff I can get away with for camping (rear panniers and bar bag only, maybe 10kg all in) and if you're a four-panniers kitchen sink style dude you'd probably want to go 36h.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I have 719 rims on my commuter. They are very heavy duty for a road bike/tourer. Basically the same construction as the MTB version 719.

I run 28c tyres and they are almost flush with the rim.

If you need a strong rim then they would be perfect. Certainly no complaints from me.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Open Sports on Deore hubs, 36 hole here

charliedontsurf

A719 have served me well on many tours and on a 29er.

28mm feels too narrow – that's what I use on my road bike (but i am 15 stone and the roads are shite). I would go 30-35mm

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘700c Touring rims. Thinking Mavic A719’ is closed to new replies.