Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 700C Commuting Tyre advice
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

I currently have some conti city contact 700cx28 on my pompy at the 'mo and the roll like they are on treacle on 1/3 of my commute. As I have no idea about the world of 700c tyres, I am after something that is fast rolling and quite puncture resistant.
    Cheers

bananaworld
    Free Member

fast rolling and quite puncture resistant

Perhaps I could also interest sir in the moon on a stick…?

juan
    Free Member

I'd like that banana, but only if the stick is carved out of a Dragon bone.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have had the moon on a stick but it lacked the Marmitey taste I required.
    Ok then a durable fast rolling tyre 😀

scruff
    Free Member

Im after some 700c computer tyres which wont kill me on wet leaves/cattle grids/white lines/manholes. The OEM 28c Bontys on my Trek are fast and have never punctured but have literally no grip.

Absolutely loads on CRC…

poppa
    Free Member

Continental Ultra Gatorskin are popular – proper road tyres that have puncture resistance, fairly fast rolling but not a 'race' tyre

If you have more money, Continental Grand Prix four season – supposedly more supple and better grip than the Gatorskins, but more expensive.

I believe Schwalbe, Michelin and Vittoria also do decent tyres, but I don't know so much about them. Vittoria do some very good value tires IIRC, so if price is important look at them.

EDIT: These tyres are only really suitable on tarmac!

bananaworld
    Free Member

Sounds like Monkeychild needs Scruff's tyres and vice-versa: job done!

EDIT: you mean the moon doesn't taste of Marmite…? What's the **** POINT then?!?!???

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have been using Conti ultra gator skins (in a 23c size but they do bigger) and find them to be good in most conditions and have only had a one puncture since using them. They have been on there for over a year and i am just getting to the point of needing to replace the rear one it has done over 3000 miles.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Scruff … someone told me that Schwalbe Land Cruisers are just the job for all those things and will also hold a line offroad. Awfy cheap too.

ourmaninthenorth

For an expensive but oh-so-worth-it choice, Vittoria Pavé. 24mm and have that iconic green tread.

Supple, fast rolling and grippy as hell, which is why they (well, the tub version) are the tyres of choice for the cobbled Classics.

rootes1

panaracer ribmo – fast grippy and 'quite' puncture resistant – not in the schwalbe marathon league of puncture resistance but hey quicker

BigDummy
    Free Member

I must get round to putting my 32mm Schwalbe Marathons back on now it's definitely autumn. Grippy, heavy, slow, unpuncturable and off-road-tastic. 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Continental GP 4000 are awesome road tyres. Bit pricey though.

D0NK

Gatorskins very puncture proof but well slippy on wet grids, I use one on rear of my pompy. Got a Panaracer Czar on the front a cpl months ago, seems OK so far, no cuts, no slips and seem quick enough.

roach

Bonty Race Lite Hardcase for a lightish cheap puncture proof tyre or Schwalbe Marathon Plus for near absolute puncture proofness but you pay the price cos they weigh a fair bit.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Aghhhh so much choice 😆 Cheers guys.

traildog
    Free Member

I often commute on Landcruisers and they are brilliant for puncture protection and can go off road well, but I'd never classify them as fast. In fact, putting some other tyres on feels like I've doubled in speed!
    I guess it all comes down to how much you want to risk the puncture protection for the gain of speed.
    I used to commute on race tyres and I hardly ever punctured, but the one or two times you did were such a pain that I am willing to sacrifice speed.

Stu_N

I've settled on 700Cx 28 Gatorskins. Not the grippiest, fastest or most puncture-proof but seem to be a good compromise between the 3. Also tried Spesh Boroughs (normal version, about as puncture-proof as clingfilm) and Conti Top Tourings (about as grippy as a greased pig on wet ice and rode horribly as well) but went back to the Gatorskins, albeit in a bigger size. And they are about 20 quid and end and last for ages as long as you get any bits of glass out PDQ.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The conti sport contact looks a good compromise
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Ultra_Sport_Tyre/5360011044/
    Anyone got any opinions on this?

takisawa2

Continental Ultra Gatorskin

I use these at 23mm.
    Very good.

bedraggled
    Free Member

I'd recommend the Ultra Gator Skins, more specifically the pair I've got for sale on this link 🙂

As luck would have it they are 700×28

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12658617

They are good tyres, but my new bike only has clearances for 700×23

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I'd recommend a pair of Schwable Marathon Plus and a healthy case of MTFU 😉

Ifrider
    Free Member

Just put some Conti 4 Seasons on the Roadrat, so far very impressed and also they look cool as **** too (bike tart) Found them on a site called 2wheelsonly (IIRC) for under £50 the pair.
    Ultra gatorskins I had on my MTB for ages, zero punctures in 2 years daily riding…

snakebite
    Free Member

just gone from 4 seasons to Ribmos…no punctures yet.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I'd recommend a pair of Schwable Marathon Plus and a healthy case of MTFU

????? I commute 150 miles over 5days on a fixie so I consider myself manned up ta 😀
    Mr Bedraggled I will give your tyres a whirl 😀 Will drop you a mail.

crustypaulus
    Free Member

I've tried the Gatorskins in 700 x 28 flavour and also City Sport Contact, and I can recommend the Gatorskins highly, they seem to be the best balance between lightness, puncture resistance and rollability.

City Sport Contacts were a bit heavy by comparison.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Cheers crusty 🙂 Looks like Gatorskins win!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘700C Commuting Tyre advice’ is closed to new replies.