Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 7 year old Fox Float leaking air – service or replace ?
  • ps44
    Free Member

So my rear shock has started losing about 30psi in a 2-3 hour ride, but holds pressure ok when left overnight. It's seven years old, has been serviced once ( 😳 ) but it came back with nothing needing to be done. Do I service it (TFTuned ?) or replace – what with ?
    It's on a Mount Vision, and use is mostly XC with occasional trail centre.

robhughes
    Free Member

why not service it you self. it,s dead easy and the sevice kits are dirt cheap.loads of youtube vids and service instructions out there in the ether.
    ja wont some links?

ps44
    Free Member

Good suggestion. I'm pretty handy with the spanners but tend to leave this sort of stuff to the pros. I'll have a look around.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Float shock servicing is dead easy. Did mine the other night, took 30 mins. Well it took 1hr 30mins, the 1 hr was searching for one one the needle rollers from the shock bearing that rolled onto the floor.
    New seals and internal bushings, piece of urine!
    The bushing and seal kit is about £20 from mojo.

ps44
    Free Member

OK, so I'm really ashamed now, having read up on this and watched the youtube stuff.
    Seal kit ordered, hair shirt in place.

Potdog
    Free Member

Give the shaft a good check too. If it's only loosing air when you ride, maybe there is a scratch or mark of some sort on the shaft which is letting air out when it compresses.

Happened to mine a couple of years ago.

Just today took the plunge and replaced the seals on my float today. It has to be said that it was easier than I expected. Maybe I should look at the YouTube vids now to see what I did wrong 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Th hadest part is getting the aircan bushings and seal back in.
    On thing that made it a bit easier was to warm all the seals and bushings up on a radiator before you do the jump, much more flexible that way.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Check the shaft for wear whilst it's apart – mine sstarted leaking last year and it was due to the anodising just starting to disappear under the seal as it was fully extended. The new shaft was only £40 on top of the service, so no great deal breaker.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘7 year old Fox Float leaking air – service or replace ?’ is closed to new replies.