Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 7 speed rapidfire shifters
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m fixing my neighbours bike for him at the moment. It’s an early 90’s scott boulder in very good condition.

I’ve rebuilt it but can’t get the shifters to work at all and the adjuster is missing from the right hand shifter so thats never going to work well.

It’s got lx 7 speed rapidfire shifter/brake lever combo on it at the moment, brakes are cantis so thats adds to the ‘hard to get factor’. Just missed a pair on ebay last night.

So I’m after either a set of lx 7 speed rapidfire shifters/canti brake levers which appear to be very hard to find – any ideas where I can get them.

Other option is to buy some 7 speed shifters and some canti brake levers. I’ve found some suitable shifters but can anyone recommend some canto brake levers? I’m doing it for him as a favour so not charging and don’t want to spend too much.

Thanks.

Will also post on retrobike.

GW
    Free Member

remove the shifters from the STI and you won’t need to buy new brake levers (might need cutting/filing so the separate shifter pods will sit next to them nicely) You should be able to find Altus/Acera/Alivio? 7spd shifter pods fairly easily.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I could do that, should come off fairly cleanly.

Edric64
    Free Member

Probably find spares for that at the local tip if you talk nicely to the guy who run it loads of old bikes with 7 speed get junked these days.Just take them coffee and biscuits for payment as they are not meant to flog stuff these days

Gary_M
    Free Member

The thing is it’s such a nice bike that I don’t just want to stick tat on it. I know it’s not mine but I owe him a favour and want to do a decent job.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I remember rightly it was possible to use 8 speed rapidfire shifters with a 7 speed set up, you were just left with the extr redundant click.

Am I right?

jonk

yeah you can run 8 speed – when setting up go to the 7th gear and 7th click and tighten the cable. Check on retrobike if anyone is selling the parts you need.

Gary_M
    Free Member

cheers jonk,I’ve posted on retrobike. Going for the 8 speed option opens up more possibilities though.

onandon
    Free Member

I have a pair of the exact shifters you need (I actually have the whole group set).
    I also have an 8 speed group set from the period.
    e-mail me as you don’t have any info in the profile.

Gary_M
    Free Member

on and on ygm, thanks.

atlaz
    Free Member

Oddly enough I’m just fixing a bike with the same setup. I think the shifters are shagged as it takes a LOT of pressure to make it shift. I’m about to dismantle and see how it goes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Mine won’t shift at all, most of the plastic band in the middle of the shifter has cracked anyway and the rh shifter was never going to work as the adjuster is broken off. All damaged incurred whilst stored in a garage according to my neighbour, it was his brothers bike, ridden a couple of times then dumped at the back of the garage for nearly 20 years. Really excited about getting it finnished and back to him as it now looks fantastic.

PaulD
    Free Member

Guys,

I have these Shimano Combo-shifters for sale, all brand new:

2x Alivio MC10 7-Speed Rear RapidFire Shifter + Front Brake Lever £9 Posted (each)

1x LX M568 Triple Front RapidFire Shifter + Rear Brake Lever £9 Posted

Mail me if interested.

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

Gary_M
    Free Member

PaulD are those levers canti brake specific?

PaulD
    Free Member

Gary,

I do not know.

I bought them quite recently (last 2 years) as new-old-stock without packaging or instructions.

I have previously run V-brakes with canti-specific GS200 (1989) levers and all was well, in fact I did not notice any difference when I later changed the levers to V-brake specific XT jobbies.

You may need to do some more research.

PaulD.

drew

I have a set of LX 8 speed Stis for cantis in excellent working order and appearance I’d sell for £25 posted.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks all, now sorted with a set from on and on

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘7 speed rapidfire shifters’ is closed to new replies.