• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 6year old sowboarding
  • oddjob
    Free Member

My 6 year old wants to snow board this year on our skiing holiday (now to be renamed I suppose)

He has skied for a couple of years, but both the mum and I are skiers so I have no idea about boarding. Is there anything we need to be aware of other than getting him in a school for the week?

ericemel
    Free Member

I think there is a minimum age reccomendation for snowbaording – potential knee injury or something – I know the guys I board with with still make their 9 year old ski for some reason.

oddjob
    Free Member

Looks like I’d better find out asap to avoid dissapointment. I’m sure I’ve seen little kids boarding though…

GrahamS

Surely you’re more likely to do a knee in while skiing?

I’ve seen pretty young kids boarding – but all the cool kids are skiing these days it seems.

DezB
    Free Member

Little kids do board, but they won’t take them on group lessons until they are 8. You’d have to find a private instructor willing to do it.
    My boy’s 9 and did his first snowboard lesson this year.
    Absolutely loved it!

oddjob
    Free Member

but all the cool kids are skiing these days it seems.

That explains it – we’re not that cool!

DezB
    Free Member

The cool kids are doing what they want and not what’s ‘cool’. 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

that’s why i telemark 🙂

jamiep
    Free Member

Min lesson age in France is typically 8yo

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Sowboarding:

Earl
    Free Member

Yea – every instructor I’ve spoken to has said wait till they are 8/9 due to them being too fragile.

From what i see my 5y doing at the park, I would think she could take it but I’m completely guessing.

End of the day I recon sking is not a bad thing and it will probably make them a better snowboarder when they get to 8/9y.

If you do, make sure you base it on the snow conditions. Even the most skilled sports person will fall hard a few times when learning which is not a big issue when the piste is soft but if it’s in anyway hard – stick to sking and wait till next trip.

Last year a good skier in my chalet asked me if i could show him the SB basics for a few hours. I said, normally yes, but not tomorrow as it was due to freeze over that night and the piste/beginners area would be bullet proof. And because he was a victim of fashion, he also refused to wear helmet or kneepads (which in my opinion are essential for the first few days). Anyhow he got a 4 hour private the next day and broke himself after 1 hour – saw stars – bump to his head, black knees, couldn’t sit down – really screwed up the rest of his trip.

RegP
    Free Member

Get him boarding ASAP so he is not bullied later in life for being a Skier…..

BigJohn

I took my youngest when he was 9 on a family week at Alp d’Huez. He got on really well and we all had a good time.

But he was a right pain when he dismounted button lifts half way up because he was bored and when he came to a stop on traverses, or just went straight into a bowl of powder and just stopped at the bottom.

GrahamS

he also refused to wear helmet or kneepads (which in my opinion are essential for the first few days)

How times have changed since I first stepped onto a crappy hire board at Nevis Range, heather poking through otherwise bulletproof snow, no helmet or pads and my only instruction being my mate saying “Just go for it you’ll be fine.” 😀

oliverd1981
    Free Member

availability of boards suitable for his height may also be an issue – I’d say most of the smallest kids I’ve ever seen on lessons on boards (you see more in US resorts) have been more like 8/9 (I would guess)

justatheory
    Free Member

^^ Just noticed ^^

EDIT: I’m so unoriginal 😳

DaveP

Mine had a private lesson at 7 because not allowed in public lessons (as had been said above).

Worked really well (wife and 9yr old also did it). Was in Les Arcs and on Day3 they were in the snow park.

Earl
    Free Member

GrahamS

he also refused to wear helmet or kneepads (which in my opinion are essential for the first few days)

How times have changed since I first stepped onto a crappy hire board at Nevis Range, heather poking through otherwise bulletproof snow, no helmet or pads and my only instruction being my mate saying “Just go for it you’ll be fine.”

Ha – same here – probably why I passed out on the first day when I hit my swede right underneath the chairlift.

After about 5 years ago I found a helmet that fit my egg shaped head and must say i ride harder than i ever have – that or the mid life crisis……

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘6year old sowboarding’ is closed to new replies.