Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • £5m Olympic size pool built two inches short!
  • matchstick
    Free Member

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/article/36686/

🙄 must be a bunch of amateur builders did that, what a waste of money!!

5lab

pretty sure if they’d spent £xxxxx on timing boards\circuitry, there’d have been a sh*tstorm as well..

montylikesbeer

Councils, civil servants, MOD amaze me constantly not in that mistakes are made, were human and that is a given, its the pathetic excuses after they have been found out to be a$$ holes that gets me every time

MSP

How much would it cost to add an extra couple of inches to the pool? I am sure the 5m was for the whole building, heating systems and water purification systems etc.

MSP

montylikesbeer – Member

Councils, civil servants, MOD amaze me constantly not in that mistakes are made, were human and that is a given, its the pathetic excuses after they have been found out to be a$$ holes that gets me every time.

Get a grip, would you really expect a councillor to know it should be 2 inches longer, the failure is clearly with the designers and or builders.

ac282

Correct. But will the contract be written in such a way that they are forced to rectify it?

montylikesbeer

no but they sign off on stuff and approve, or sue the developer, architect for the cost of putting it right.

If they asked for an Olympic sized pool to a specification then that is what should have been provided, if the specification in the first place is badly written or is wrong then its the councils fault.

Tell you what lets just accept every cost over run of every government department and keep putting our hands in our pockets.

I work a lot with local government and the waste, corruption and more to the point ineptitude is staggering

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be easier and cheaper just to recess the touch-sensitive time boards into the pool side wall? I’ll arrange to have it done for £4.5M, save £500k 😀

shmuk
    Free Member

Britain once again leading the world in being incompetent and an embarassment…

On the other hand, it’s stuff like this that brightens up the day 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

Maybe you missed this bit?

“It was never to be used for the Olympics. It can be used for training and competitions”

samuri
    Free Member

Leeds olympic length pool was 2 metres short.

retro83
    Free Member

hasn’t this also happened at a few other places? Cardiff and Bristol spring to mind.

brakes
    Free Member

Mr_Mojo speaketh common sense – just modify the sensors

llama

Teams are going to be based there for training, not racing, so I don’t think it will make any difference.

I’m going there next month with little llama who is hoping for a bunch of national qualifying times. That 2 inches could make all the difference to her!

Oh and electronic timing is used all the time at all levels, pretty standard really

chewkw
    Free Member

Do you expect bureaucrats to get things done?

theotherjonv

I’m pretty sure I could design and spec a waterproof touch sensitive switch that isn’t an inch thick for quite a bit less than the £4.5M Mr Mojo is asking for. I’ll do it for a million.

backhander
    Free Member

Even with the very valid posts above, it doesn’t put the UK construction industry in a very good light. The chinese would have done it right (mind you, they’d have probably had 100 H&S related fatalities during the build!).

DrDomRob
    Free Member

There are a lot of pools in this country that are built for training and not competition.

Bath uni, Millfield… to name two that I know well. The only pools that I am aware of that are the right size are Sheffield, Loughborough Uni (not 100% sure) and Crystal Palace.

One of the reasons I was given for this is that the ASA tend to commandeer pools that are of the right length for competitions and training to the extent that the local populace suffer.

I have no written evidence to back this up though.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Chisel a bit off or trim the swimmers fingers.

its for training btw.

stuey
    Free Member

fill it with heavy water to slow them down a bit?

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Measure twice cut once.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Leeds olympic length pool was 2 metres short.

operative word here – “was”. It’s gone now, not even a hole in the ground. If you want holes in the ground, come to Bradford

Wozza
    Free Member

fill it with heavy water to slow them down a bit?

😆

CaptJon
    Free Member

The ASA have given it their approval.

jenbe
    Free Member

silly people should have got a tape measure!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The councillors could just cut the fingers off the swimmers then it would be the right size.

😆

come to Bradford

I may well be doing such a thing, this coming Spring. 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘£5m Olympic size pool built two inches short!’ is closed to new replies.