Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 5-Spot or El Ciclon?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone tried both?

coogan
    Free Member

Nope. Had a HL 5 Spot and now a DW 5 Spot. Fantastic bikes. Would like to try a Ventana, they look beautifully built frames. Try over at MTBR.com, bound to be someone had/tried both.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

El Ciclon uses bearings, Turner bushings, which is better?

coogan
    Free Member

I'd say bushings as Turners come grease ports on all the pivots to keep 'em topped up. My HL 5 Spot was over five years old and was only on its second set of bushings. Like I say, no experience of Ventana's, so don't know how the bearing last.

khani
    Free Member

04 spot here one set of bushings at 3 years old and still going strong, easy to change as well, no presses or pullers or hammers needed and a nice touch is the pivot bolt threads are part of the bushing and not part of the frame so if you strip/crossthread a pivot bolt the frame is still ok

takisawa2

06' El Ciclon here. Not ridden a 5-Spot.
    Had a Brain-Shocked Enduro before. Compared to that the Ventana has very active suspension. Certainly a more supple ride, not wollowy/bouncy, just very smooth. I tend to ride mostly with the ProPedal on & knock it off for descents. Very very stiff frame, no noticeable flex at all.
    In honesty it has way way more ability than I have. Coil Pikes up front, running at 130mm most of the time.
    Build quality is good, first glance it doesn't grab you, but look closely & there's lots of small detail. Excellent paint also.
    As above with being easy to service. Frame is in bits in minutes, literally. Mine still on original bearings, AFAIK.
    Bought mine S/H off here. Only downside is having to remove the upper shock bolt to add air, was sorted on the 08' on I think, (different shock top end).

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Hi Paul what size is that?

takisawa2

Medium.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

And what's the mud clearance like?

takisawa2

Good. Has 2.35 Kendas on at the moment, bit draggy now the Chase is a mud pit. Might go to 2.1's for the Winter.
    keep an eye on THIS FlickR set, I'm just uploading some more pics now.

khani
    Free Member

i think ventana used to make frames for turner many moons ago, they look very similer construction wise so i dont think there's anything in it lookswise or in build quality, you need to demo them to see which you prefer ridewise, but i don't think either would be crap anyway

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all

Vortexracing

Dickie off here has both. He is sellinga large Ventana El Ciclon over on the classifieds.

Bearings on the Ventana will last a good 2-3 years. They have on both my X5's.

but i don't think either would be crap anyway

he is spot on with that.

Just a small point is that Alan at Riverside cycles (importer) of Ventana is one of the nicest honest guys you could meet.

John_Key
    Free Member

I have owned both bikes and like the turner better. The DW set up is better than what the ventana has. The ventana can bob a bit without the propedal on.

Try both out

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks John – looking at TNT not DW Spot

overthehill
    Free Member

same as John, in that I have owned both: I had an el ciclon and now ride a DW spot. Both are fantastic rides, up and down, but the spot is more lively (in a good way), in terms of climbing and acceleration – it makes me feel fitter than I am. On descents, both make me feel braver than I am. And I'd agree with Chucky that Alan at Riverside is great to deal with. The bearings on the ventana lasted fine – survived two years of wet and muddy lakes riding without complaint.

eenie meenie minie moe…

takisawa2

James, if your passing through this way your welcome to have a quick blast.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Cheers Paul appreciate the offer

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks for the mention chucky.
    Mine has a PUSH'ed RP23 & I ride with the propedal off.

5 Spots are popular because they get more press.

Alan Richardson told me that when What MTB had a El Ciclon, Guy didn't want to give it back!

Coasting
    Free Member

Had both.Ventanna had a far better paint job and the finish was of a higher standard.Because the V is so stiff in the frame and with the quad bearing option,the bearings last for eva.There is more bob with the V but also less feedback thru the peddles and i thought it was a more supple system.The T peddled better but there was a level of kickback on some big hits.Both fantastic bikes and really this is splitting hairs.For me the V had just a little bit more of the boutique feel and look.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘5-Spot or El Ciclon?’ is closed to new replies.